Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else crazy like me?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Points taken. I guess I took umbrage with the assertion that people with unreliable cars are incompetent. While perhaps true in the sense that they aren't as knowledgeable as they could be, I think there is a line at some point. By the same token, my car may very well be reliable at this point. It has been a month or so since it refused to start after I went through the ignition system cleaning up splice, dirty connections and ground wires and a good 10 months or so since it has left me stranded, I am still not super comfortable hopping in and taking it for a 3 hour drive on the interstate with wife and kid in tow. But that's my hangup, not necessarily incompetence.

Regarding the Model T's and Power Tour, I would put a wager that there was a veritable fleet of chase/support vehicles not far behind in both instances. Heck, even when I used to see large parades of motorcycles coming through town they had at least 3-4 vehicles following behind with a trailer or two. They probably weren't too fearful because they knew they had help if needed. Not like they were Johnny VW Driver by himself puttering down the interstate.

Anyways, back to the topic.

For me, the fun part in buying the best used VW I can get is the refurbishment. Going through and addressing the years of neglected maintenance on the vehicle. Inspecting each system while bringing them back to excellent condition.

It's well documented what the common issues are that lead to these classic VW's breaking down. There's been a gazzilion threads where someone buys a well used VW. They don't do any inspections or maintenance on it but still head out on long trips to bring it home or a simple long road trip. It's almost humorous to everyone when they post about how unreliable the car is..

On the other spectrum, I've seen lot of threads where someone does buy a well used VW bug or bus. They do meticulously go through the mechanical systems on the car. It's fun seeing the threads where they are out crossing the country in their bus or bug, trouble free after all their hard work.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Am I the only person the does this? Going to drive my 50 year old car over 300 miles one way just to go to a toy drive/car show. This will be the second trip down there in the '66. We drive this car everywhere, plus I daily drive it, so I have no concerns about it not making it. Anyone else do crazy stuff like this in their classic VW?

Have some fun. Take it up the 120 over Tioga Pass, then down the 395 to the IE and hit the LA basin from the backdoor. Then take the 1 north and cut over on the 46 to get home. THEN you will be officially crazy. Wink
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

The only crazy part is going anywhere near LA with a good looking old VW.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

They're all over the place out here. Same with 356's. Unless you mean Louisiana. Cool
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Points taken. I guess I took umbrage with the assertion that people with unreliable cars are incompetent. While perhaps true in the sense that they aren't as knowledgeable as they could be, I think there is a line at some point. By the same token, my car may very well be reliable at this point. It has been a month or so since it refused to start after I went through the ignition system cleaning up splice, dirty connections and ground wires and a good 10 months or so since it has left me stranded, I am still not super comfortable hopping in and taking it for a 3 hour drive on the interstate with wife and kid in tow. But that's my hangup, not necessarily incompetence.

Regarding the Model T's and Power Tour, I would put a wager that there was a veritable fleet of chase/support vehicles not far behind in both instances. Heck, even when I used to see large parades of motorcycles coming through town they had at least 3-4 vehicles following behind with a trailer or two. They probably weren't too fearful because they knew they had help if needed. Not like they were Johnny VW Driver by himself puttering down the interstate.

Anyways, back to the topic.

For me, the fun part in buying the best used VW I can get is the refurbishment. Going through and addressing the years of neglected maintenance on the vehicle. Inspecting each system while bringing them back to excellent condition.

It's well documented what the common issues are that lead to these classic VW's breaking down. There's been a gazzilion threads where someone buys a well used VW. They don't do any inspections or maintenance on it but still head out on long trips to bring it home or a simple long road trip. It's almost humorous to everyone when they post about how unreliable the car is..

On the other spectrum, I've seen lot of threads where someone does buy a well used VW bug or bus. They do meticulously go through the mechanical systems on the car. It's fun seeing the threads where they are out crossing the country in their bus or bug, trouble free after all their hard work.

John Muir used to do this hop in a car bring the toolbox maybe a few spares and fix things as they happen, said by the time he got home he'd rebuilt the car. Probably the best known VW long distance driver was Al Klein. Al drove a 63 beetle over one million miles, his tips are worth remembering. Equipment of any kind is only as reliable as the maintenance program it's under. Some of the major airlines are flying planes with 70,000+ hrs on the airframe, they beat the hell out of them daily just like when new. Attention to detail.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

They're all over the place out here. Same with 356's. Unless you mean Louisiana. Cool

he's probably talking insane traffic, people and South Central.. The only thing So. Commiefornia has going for it is the weather and VW's, other than that it's a cesspool.. of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have watched it's beauty deteriorate since I was born in '69 Wink
rotorhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Wife and I in March this year celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by driving the '69 Ghia from Glendale, AZ to San Francisco. We spent five days driving, Glendale to Paso Robles (beautiful area by the way if you like vineyards and rolling green hills). Paso Robles to San Francisco, then on to Carmel, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Ventura (had to stop by Karmann Ghia Parts and restoration for some goodies) Ran Hwy 1 down the left coast the whole way and it was spectacular. Believe it or not the wife would do it all over again and has no qualms about my 47 year old car. I did have one spot of trouble along the way where my dumb ass left the headlights on during a lunch stop and killed my 8 year old battery, but we got a jump and rolled on that battery all the way back. I don't remember the exact number, but the whole trip was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
John Muir used to do this hop in a car bring the toolbox maybe a few spares and fix things as they happen, said by the time he got home he'd rebuilt the car. Probably the best known VW long distance driver was Al Klein. Al drove a 63 beetle over one million miles, his tips are worth remembering. Equipment of any kind is only as reliable as the maintenance program it's under. Some of the major airlines are flying planes with 70,000+ hrs on the airframe, they beat the hell out of them daily just like when new. Attention to detail.

I still chuckle at that comment he made. I'm sure it was intended to be illustrative, not strictly accurate.

But times have changed. Back in the '60s/'70s you were never very far from a dealer or independent parts house or mechanic. The consequences of a breakdown were not so severe.

Today you might have to park it for a week while you wait for a part on backorder or from a Samba member. And no one will know what to do with the parts.

So the trick to "reliability" today is also knowing what hard-to-find parts to carry with you, so you avoid the long wait. It may be different for every car, given their varied history and complexity. There are threads about what spares to carry, and that may be the best advice around.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

rotorhed wrote:
I did have one spot of trouble along the way where my dumb ass left the headlights on during a lunch stop and killed my 8 year old battery...

How in tarnation do you get 8 years of battery life in Arizona ??? I feel if I get three I'm doing better than the 2.5 year average here.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I still chuckle at that comment he made. I'm sure it was intended to be illustrative, not strictly accurate.

But times have changed. Back in the '60s/'70s you were never very far from a dealer or independent parts house or mechanic. The consequences of a breakdown were not so severe.

Today you might have to park it for a week while you wait for a part on backorder or from a Samba member. And no one will know what to do with the parts.

So the trick to "reliability" today is also knowing what hard-to-find parts to carry with you, so you avoid the long wait. It may be different for every car, given their varied history and complexity. There are threads about what spares to carry, and that may be the best advice around.

Back in the day I knew more than one bus driver that carried a spare long block. Very Happy
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I don't understand why this question keeps coming up, it's a machine. A properly maintained machine in good condition would be able to travel whatever distance is required operated within the parameters/design limitations. Back in 1979 I drove a beetle from pan handle of Florida to Long Beach California without problems. When Ford celebrated their 100th anniversary a caravan of Model Ts drove from all over to assemble at the Highland Park factory where they were built. Some of the cars were well over 80+ years old at the time. Howabout driving a machine with a top speed of about 45mph in mostly open air. Drive your car, enjoy your car. Cars that are unreliable are a direct reflection of the owners incompetence, nothing more.

A bit harsh. Not all of us are mechanics or strive to be. I do my best to keep my bug running as well as I know how and have done all the work so far. I've read, watched videos and asked questions to learn as much as I can. But let's face it, these are old cars. Old cars break down. While these are less complex machines than say an old Italian supercar, there is still a learning curve involved. I'm a desk jockey who takes whatever free time I can find to work on my bug. I enjoy it, but it's not my full time job. Add in a wife, kid with special needs, housework, and whatever responsibilities I have and cut those of us that aren't as proficient as you feel we should be a break. We all started somewhere. Keep in mind too that this is a weekend cruiser and part time grocery getter not my primary source of transportation. I'm glad yours is tip top and always mechanically reliable. Hopefully mine will be too as some point.

Hear, hear.

Time, money, and knowledge.

It comes down to these three things.

To be able to do this kind of thing with your classic vw ride, you need 2 out of the three of these things.

Time and knowledge=fix it yourself, as you can afford parts, etc. Not sure how many of these people on thesamba, but I'd guess a fair few.

Time and money=fix it yourself, pay others to fix it, eventually, something will work, right? Even then, it doesn't matter because you have the $$$. There's one or two of these at every car show I've been to, and they for some reason aren't really likable.

Money and knowledge=perhaps the deadliest combination. These guys pay people to do stuff for them for a living, and know who is worthy of this and who isn't. You don't see these people too often at car shows, but when they are, their rides usually are the best around. The only part of the experience they really miss out on is "the experience" itself.

Push starting the car.

Improvising repairs at the side of the road or gas station.

Taking trips to various places on an elusive parts quest.

Participating in humor on thesamba.

Rebuilding a carburetor (on the side of the road or the dining room table.)

Trying various, dditives in your fuel and oil just to baby the vehicle some.

Treating the car like it was a friend or family member.

Worry about it when you park it somewhere.

Obsess over tires, oil choices, and what kind of stuff you would do to it if you had an unlimited budget.

Fun, fun times. They don't get any of it, but their rides are really sweet.

As you can guess, I'm not in the last crowd. Some would argue I'm in the second. but with the boy headed off to college next year, I am not in the first crowd either.

Right now, I have knowledge, and perhaps just a little, and, as we all know, a little is a dangerous thing.

Next year, when he is away, I will have time and perhaps the knowledge. Sme as yet to be determined university will have my money.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Back in the day I knew more than one bus driver that carried a spare long block. Very Happy

When I took my bus on a thousand mile camping trip this year. I had gone through it's mechanical systems completely. I carried the following. Spare fuel pump, points, cap, rotor, condenser and V-belt. Of course, none were needed. I just don't trust "new" Bosch parts these days.. I carried the spare fuel pump because they aren't being stocked in stores these days.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Am I the only person the does this? Going to drive my 50 year old car over 300 miles one way just to go to a toy drive/car show. This will be the second trip down there in the '66. We drive this car everywhere, plus I daily drive it, so I have no concerns about it not making it. Anyone else do crazy stuff like this in their classic VW?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the only crazy ones are the ones who dont drive thier cars out of fear they are unreliable.

I've put over 35k on this one in under 18 months - drove the hell out of it since i finished the 2180cc build. Been to AZ, all over CA, through OR and WA up to seattle. use it to commute 52 miles each way too on my work days.

this one has had 23k put on it in the last 2 years. been all over CA from sacramento to LA and places in between. I also commute in it semi-regularly.

I wouldn't be scared to drive either of em to New York tomorrow!!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Well that escalated quickly. Was just curious how many people took their classic cars on long trips.

And I'm with you Jason. I'd have no fear jumping in my car tomorrow morning and going across the country if I needed to.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

300 miles is hardly a long trip for some Laughing
for others it would be a trip of a lifetime.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
300 miles is hardly a long trip for some Laughing
for others it would be a trip of a lifetime.

Fair enough. I guess it's all relative. I guess for me it's "long" as I haven't taken it anywhere further.....yet. When I move to Washington in a couple months I'm seriously thinking about just driving the bug instead of trailering it and make the wifey drive the Uhaul. We'll see how that conversation goes over hahaha.
rotorhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
rotorhed wrote:
I did have one spot of trouble along the way where my dumb ass left the headlights on during a lunch stop and killed my 8 year old battery...

How in tarnation do you get 8 years of battery life in Arizona ??? I feel if I get three I'm doing better than the 2.5 year average here.

Sorry bud I can't answer that (trade secret) -kidding- I can't answer because I don't know. The battery was in the car when I bought it, and other than checking the water every once in a while I never gave it much thought until I had to replace it and it was dated 2008.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Have some fun. Take it up the 120 over Tioga Pass, then down the 395 to the IE and hit the LA basin from the backdoor. Then take the 1 north and cut over on the 46 to get home. THEN you will be officially crazy. Wink

I might take you up on this. We might take 395 back home. It's such a pretty drive with tons of little towns along the way. Although Tioga pass may be closed by December if we get any kind of snow up there. Seems like they close it every year.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

Yes, Tioga closes every year, often not opening until April or May.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else crazy like me? Reply with quote

I'm crazy in my own special way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: