Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

I wonder how many getting electric cars have thought about the downside of relying strictly on the power grid. Half of those idiots are a nervous wreck if they can't check their social media because of a dead battery, what's going to happen when they can't go anywhere because the latest storm has left them without power for a week or more?

Hell, how many cities are already experiencing "brown out" issues in the summer months?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Hell, how many cities are already experiencing "brown out" issues in the summer months?

I don't know, how many?

In Phoenix anything long-term rarely happens, power usually flicks off for a split second and is right back on. I bet we use way more power than tons of other places in summer.

I suspect Arizona might be better handled than other places though since we have a nuclear power plant and a fair amount of solar (and more on the way).

Get your shit together, other states. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Electric cars are only a viable option for city commuters. I know this will come as a complete surprise to some but there are actually people that live outside the concrete jungle. For those of us an electric car would be nothing more than a very expensive lawn ornament!

Unless you drive hundreds of miles/day you should be fine?

Even then it's only a matter of time for battery/powerplant advancement and charging stations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how much demand the system can take.
http://insideenergy.org/2014/08/18/power-outages-on-the-rise-across-the-u-s/
It's also interesting how many events were considered "physical attacks/vandalism ".
http://insideenergy.org/2014/08/18/data-explore-15-years-of-power-outages/

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:
Electric cars are only a viable option for city commuters. I know this will come as a complete surprise to some but there are actually people that live outside the concrete jungle. For those of us an electric car would be nothing more than a very expensive lawn ornament!

Even then it's only a matter of time for battery/powerplant advancement and charging stations.

How much time though? I'm one of those that does drive hundreds of miles at a time, often between 1000 and 1200 a week.

Some of us live in areas not as "blessed" with sunshine, clear skies and open space for solar farms and wind farms as Arizona.

I don't even have a garage or means to charge at home so a plug in would require I invest in a garage and electrical and a driveway just to charge a plug in.

In the meantime, I"ll keep driving the most fuel efficient vehicle that meets my needs of range, size for passengers and towing capability.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:59 am; edited 3 times in total
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
To all those out there on the fence about the buyback, TAKE THE BUYBACK!!! The next step to getting those cars off the road is to eliminate the parts necessary to keep them going or to keep the check engine light off. If you don't sell it back, there's a strong chance the parts won't be available & most of the parts aren't available through aftermarket suppliers.

I really couldn't care less about the check engine light as its all emissions related and well, Maryland doesn't test emissions on diesel vehicles. Yet another reason I have driven diesel vehicles as my commuter car for years.
Hate to tell you but most of those parts needed from VW are already manufactured by third party suppliers and if you deal with the right vendors, they already know how and where to get anything you need. Several of our local VW dealers actually get a lot of their parts from the supplier I have dealt with for years.

I think you will find out with the way the buyback is structured, anyone driving their TDI at or below an average number of miles annually is almost foolish to take the buyback until as late as possible in 2018. It's almost two years of free driving and guaranteed value.

VW has yet to have the emissions mods approved or provide information about the impact on performance and fuel economy for those of us that really would like to keep the cars.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Will someone please explain to me how a car that gets 60mpg produces more exhaust emissions than the diesel guzzling 12mpg American pick up trucks that are still legal to sell?

Ya I know it's all about NOX but that is only one tiny component of the TOTAL emissions. Why do they never talk about total emissions? American diesels use 5 times the amount of fuel so they HAVE to put out 5 times the total emissions.

Can't anyone see that?

Or are we all complete idiots and swallow any kind of official BS?

It's really not about the emissions, it's about the cheating and the shrinking American auto industry, just like the DAPL protests really isn't about ancient burial sites or clean water. The SR tribe wanted transmission fees for every gallon of oil that passes through the DA pipeline and are getting nothing because it doesn't cross through the standing rock reservation.
Machette Speedster

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
oprn wrote:
Will someone please explain to me how a car that gets 60mpg produces more exhaust emissions than the diesel guzzling 12mpg American pick up trucks that are still legal to sell?

Ya I know it's all about NOX but that is only one tiny component of the TOTAL emissions. Why do they never talk about total emissions? American diesels use 5 times the amount of fuel so they HAVE to put out 5 times the total emissions.

Can't anyone see that?

Yeah, we can see that, but until the tiny VW Golf can tow a fifth wheel or a ton of product, I do not see your point. I could not even imagine what it would be like for a 1.9TDI to attempt to move an unloaded semi truck. So what's your point?

So, maybe the idiot label should be applied to a person who does not make common sense.

The combined emissions of every affected VW TDI, hell every VW diesel on the road remains miniscule compared to the diesel pick ups and Heavy trucks hauling freight across the world. They are not the ones doing the damage.
Machette Speedster
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

NC doesn't test for emissions on diesels either but I'm sure some states do.

I doubt VW is going to actually come up with a real "fix" for the offending vehicles, I suspect that they will buyback a majority of the cars & rely on attrition (through accidents & mechanical failures) to eliminate the rest. In fact, I'm sure that they've crunched the numbers & are hoping that people continue to drive their cars through the end of the buyout to reduce the number of units that they have to buy back.

I've already had many customers & heard many stories of those who have gambled & lost. One customer that was a lawyer, called me wanting to have his car repaired after an accident. The insurance company was trying to total the car for the $5000 repair. I told him he should fight the claim on the grounds that the vehicle was no longer worth the blue book value, but now, since he had the letter from VW, was worth the much greater buy back value.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
Butcher wrote:
oprn wrote:

Can't anyone see that?

Yeah, we can see that, but until the tiny VW Golf can tow a fifth wheel or a ton of product, I do not see your point. I could not even imagine what it would be like for a 1.9TDI to attempt to move an unloaded semi truck. So what's your point?

So, maybe the idiot label should be applied to a person who does not make common sense.

The combined emissions of every affected VW TDI, hell every VW diesel on the road remains miniscule compared to the diesel pick ups and Heavy trucks hauling freight across the world. They are not the ones doing the damage.

Worse than all of the trucks on our roads is shipping. Once the ships get into international waters (out of sight of land) they switch their fuel source from the cleaner more expensive fuel to the sludge (mostly used motor oil). That's when the smoke from the stacks turn black. (You don't want to be on the aft decks on a cruise ship when that happens)

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:

Where we live it's a 30 km drive to get the mail, 160km drive to get basic groceries and a 600km drive to a major center. I drive 170 km to get to work and up to 500 km during my work day depending on where I am sent.
It's not just the distance that will eat up batteries, what about running a heater in the 10 months of winter we get, the lights at night and the extra power it takes to slog through snow and slush in bad weather?
What about charging stations? Presently there are none within driving range of my house. The nearest major center just had a city council meeting to discuss installing some and decided to install 10 to service city owned vehicles only - the private sector can take care of itself!
My understanding is that a home charging unit will take from 18 to 48 hours for a full charge. That gives me one trip for groceries in good weather then I better have a fossil fueled backup for a second trip that week or to cover a medical emergency!
Electric cars are a long long way off for country folks!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Worse than all of the trucks on our roads is shipping. Once the ships get into international waters (out of sight of land) they switch their fuel source from the cleaner more expensive fuel to the sludge (mostly used motor oil). That's when the smoke from the stacks turn black. (You don't want to be on the aft decks on a cruise ship when that happens)

What about the hundreds of jets that cross our skies every day. Just one take off would power a fleet of TDIs for a life time.
Governments need to be "seen to be doing something" about pollution and the VW diesels are probably the easiest target that will cause the least political fallout for them especially if they can hype up the media with a "cheating" scandal and sway public opinion in their favor.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
Butcher wrote:
oprn wrote:

Can't anyone see that?

I can certainly attest to that. We took a 10 day cruise last thanksgiving and had three cabins across the stern. Being early risers and not sleeping well we had soot all over the deck every morning. The ship actually had a built in wash down system that usually had it washed down and clean before we left for breakfast. you just didn't want to be sitting out there when it came on Wink

My VW story: I was born in Germany in late November. My dad had a brand new 66 beetle he bought a couple weeks before I was born. When my parents took me home from the hospital, I was swaddled good and tight and put in a basinette in the cargo area back behind the rear seat to stay nice and warm for my first ride home. as I've been told, I always fussed constantly in the car until they put me behind the seat. we had that car until I was 6, and even when It was just me and mom or dad, I always rode back there until the day that 66 beetle was traded in on a 70 GTO. MY first car was my grandfather's 74 beetle I got when he passed away in 83. Someday I'll get another yellow 74 just like it. Smile
Machette Speedster
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

What about the hundreds of jets that cross our skies every day. Just one take off would power a fleet of TDIs for a life time.
Governments need to be "seen to be doing something" about pollution and the VW diesels are probably the easiest target that will cause the least political fallout for them especially if they can hype up the media with a "cheating" scandal and sway public opinion in their favor.

My theory was they needed a bigger "smoke" screen to redirect the attention of the media & the public, remember the Animas river spill in Colorado that happened just before the diesel scandal that the EPA was responsible for? Has anyone seen mention of it since? One of my neighbors works with an environmental remediation company & they're still working on it & as far as I know, it's still leaking.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:

Where we live it's a 30 km drive to get the mail, 160km drive to get basic groceries and a 600km drive to a major center. I drive 170 km to get to work and up to 500 km during my work day depending on where I am sent.
It's not just the distance that will eat up batteries, what about running a heater in the 10 months of winter we get, the lights at night and the extra power it takes to slog through snow and slush in bad weather?
What about charging stations? Presently there are none within driving range of my house. The nearest major center just had a city council meeting to discuss installing some and decided to install 10 to service city owned vehicles only - the private sector can take care of itself!
My understanding is that a home charging unit will take from 18 to 48 hours for a full charge. That gives me one trip for groceries in good weather then I better have a fossil fueled backup for a second trip that week or to cover a medical emergency!
Electric cars are a long long way off for country folks!

Yes, for that mileage and other needs it might not be for you then until things improve.

I only looked up the Tesla electric car but the home charger is only super slow if you are using a 110v outlet. I believe most people use 220, which may or may require an additional investment in some home electrical work but it drops it down to an overnight charge.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
Butcher wrote:
oprn wrote:

Can't anyone see that?

Yes, if you Google it - Ships put out more emissions than every car in the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/apr/09/shipping-pollution

This is from 2009 though - I think some regulations and changes may have reduced this now.

There is also some question regarding what they are spitting out and if it is directly comparable to cars.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Butcher wrote:
oprn wrote:

Can't anyone see that?

But that logic goes out the window when a majority of those trucks are used for nothing more than commuting, getting groceries, & dropping the rugrats off at practice. You should see the jackasses around here with lifted diesel duallies tiptoeing around potholes. My Passat has been worked harder with a tow dolly & a 5'x10' trailer than 90% of the local "trucks" & I still got 43MPG.

My logic is sound. Your logic is blaming the truck for the ills of the driver. We live in America, with all of it's faults, we allow people to do whatever they want. It's called freedom.

Should we ban the truck because the driver is not 'Green' enough for you? I think not. If we did, then we should all be on bicycles and then a lowly VW TDI would be the dirty one that you would be bitching about.

You're right that a truck has more emissions than a VW, but so what? It's a poor comparison to make a your point.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

Your logic is convoluted at best. Trucks, due to their "dual" role as work vehicles & commuter transport are not required to meet the same emissions standards that cars are required to because of the supposed heavy use implications & therefore cause much more pollution, no matter how they're driven.

BTW, motorcycles & scooters cause more pollution than most TDIs also because those are not regulated as strictly as cars either.

I don't care what anyone drives or how they drive it but all the vehicles should be held to the same standards. All manufacturers would have to cease production of SUVs & trucks if the had to comply with the same parameters that VW skirted. Why do you think that none of the other foreign automotive manufacturers have brought in their diesels?

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
My logic is sound. Your logic is blaming the truck for the ills of the driver. We live in America, with all of it's faults, we allow people to do whatever they want. It's called freedom.
You're right that a truck has more emissions than a VW, but so what?

But it's ok to deny me the freedom to own and drive a TDI?

I'm not following...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "It's over: Volkswagen will never sell another diesel in US" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I don't care what anyone drives or how they drive it but all the vehicles should be held to the same standards. All manufacturers would have to cease production of SUVs & trucks if the had to comply with the same parameters that VW skirted. Why do you think that none of the other foreign automotive manufacturers have brought in their diesels?

Exactly!!

Then if you want to bias the market in favor of greener vehicles put a luxury tax on the purchase of the fuel hogs(one time cost). Or a penalty on their registration(yearly)or both. Those that use a truck for hauling goods could apply for an exemption(farmers etc.) Proof of land ownership or registered to a business would be a way.

This pushing out of the most fuel efficient transportation is nothing short of counter productive and it is blatantly obvious that the environment is not at the root of it at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: