Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

L51C_75 wrote:
I made a gasket from gasket paper from FLAP, and just sealed with Curil T, seemed to work so far.

Thx will get the x-acto and bandaids set up!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Emergency Flasher Problems -

76 FI - Recovering from a engine compartment fire two years ago. Everything is working fine now except the emergency flashers. Turn signals all work fine. When the switch is depressed - the instrument panel turn signal light will light up but not flash. There are times I get a "buzzing" noise coming from the relay when I turn the switch on. I've changed the relay with a new one, I also changed the switch with one that is new to me.
When testing voltage - Red wire is 12.50 volts with the switch and ignition off. When the flasher switch is turned on, the voltage drops to 4.5 and jumps around depending on the amount of buzzing occurring. I get the same voltage drop with the key on and the flasher switch turned on as well. The ignition voltage stays at 12.5 ish with the key on and the switch turned on or off. Grounds have all been verified as being good. The buzzing can be replicated by moving the red wire (battery wire) at the fuse block. (poor connection?)

Ignore the alligator clips in the pic. That was just from the tester.

I've traced the wires and everything appears to be correct based on the wiring diagrams. I don't know if the voltage drop is normal or if it's an indication of something else going on that I need to investigate. Any help will be appreciated. Pics of the switch and the relay connection below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Buzzing relays says short circuit, since it had a fire I'd start looking in the burnt area, or maybe where a signal or tail light got replaced and wired wrong.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks. But, would the turn signals work if there was a short circuit in the wiring there? Mine works perfectly.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Indeed odd, the issue could be in the switch, or more likely the way the wires are put on it. There are tiny terminal numbers beside each spade that match up with the colors on the diagram, are you absolutely sure they are correct?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cfroderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

For those of you following along. Found the problem. The constant power wire was somehow bad. As soon as I changed that everything worked fine. I discovered it by wiring direct to the battery and it worked. Couldn’t see anything wrong with the wire, but not complaining any longer. Cheers.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Leaking Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

76 FI with original Bosch fuel pump. It looks like gas is leaking around the black plastic part that slides into the metal can, but only when the system is pressurized. Is there an 0-ring inside that I can replace? Is this a common problem?

59 Beetle convertible, future project - 25,000 actual miles, original interior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
76 FI with original Bosch fuel pump. It looks like gas is leaking around the black plastic part that slides into the metal can, but only when the system is pressurized. Is there an 0-ring inside that I can replace? Is this a common problem?

Not particularly, although as our cars age it gets more likely all the time.
There's an O ring in there, if you think you can uncrimp the metal and recrimp it after have a go at changing it, you don't have much to lose.

Слава Україні!
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:

There's an O ring in there, if you think you can uncrimp the metal and recrimp it after have a go at changing it, you don't have much to lose.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Just curious, are replacement Bosch pumps available?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
Just curious, are replacement Bosch pumps available?

They were a year or two ago, same dimensions but threaded studs instead of spades for the wires (the bigger stud is negative BTW).

Слава Україні!
taterwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I got a Bosch 043905205H distributor from the good follks at Sparxwerkx, and was wondering if anybody can confirm that I can pair a Pertronix 1847V with it? This is a 79 convertible.

I did a few searches, but couldn't find any mention of it except as being used with pre-75 models.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Maltboy! wrote:

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Any success on this? I have 2 pumps that work fine, but have the same issue. One is an almost new "quality replacement" for the bosch but started leaking after a couple months. I replaced it with a bosch from Bus Depot and no problems for over 2 years. I plan on tearing into one and attempting a repair "when i get time" One thing to be careful of is using the proper ring material. Many would just melt with gasoline contact
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

taterwa wrote:
I got a Bosch 043905205H distributor from the good follks at Sparxwerkx, and was wondering if anybody can confirm that I can pair a Pertronix 1847V with it? This is a 79 convertible.

I did a few searches, but couldn't find any mention of it except as being used with pre-75 models.

I have had the same question as I have a 78 convertible. I have been thinking of how to make maintenance easier for my heirs! Also wondered if I would need to upgrade the plug wires and other components if I try the 1847V. Hopefully some of the experts can weigh in.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

BugCaster wrote:
taterwa wrote:

I have had the same question as I have a 78 convertible. I have been thinking of how to make maintenance easier for my heirs! Also wondered if I would need to upgrade the plug wires and other components if I try the 1847V. Hopefully some of the experts can weigh in.
Yes, that unit if your distributor is original, along with the 40511 coil. Been running them in my '75 for 5 years. I love the setup
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. What plug wires are you using with the Pertronix? I think I read that you don't use the solid conductor wires. But so many different electronic setups I may be confused.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

BugCaster wrote:
Thanks for the info. What plug wires are you using with the Pertronix? I think I read that you don't use the solid conductor wires. But so many different electronic setups I may be confused.
Believe it or not I'm running a set of EMPI stock style wires. They work great and have the original style bakelite plug connections
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Any success on this? I have 2 pumps that work fine, but have the same issue. One is an almost new "quality replacement" for the bosch but started leaking after a couple months. I replaced it with a bosch from Bus Depot and no problems for over 2 years. I plan on tearing into one and attempting a repair "when i get time" One thing to be careful of is using the proper ring material. Many would just melt with gasoline contact

I elected to buy a new Bosch unit. I may try to fix the old one to keep as a spare. I still haven't installed the new one yet. I need to get off my recliner.

ltjohnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

So I recently got my 79 FI Convertible back running again after 2+ years of tinkering.

Starts on the first or second try and runs pretty well all the way up to highway speeds and hill climbs.

The issue I have is the idle doesn't go below 1600 RPM even when the engine is plenty warm. At first it responded slightly to adjustments of the idle screw on the throttle body, but now that doesn't seem to be working.

Doing my research here, I think the likely culprit is one or multiple vacuum leaks. I have the parts to make a smoke machine and am planning on doing so tomorrow once the rain stops.

Also on the list to check is TS2 and AAR for proper function. Additionally planning to check points, valves, and timing.

Is there anything else I should be looking at while trying to fix this?
22 Taos "Betty White"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got it covered, the only other thing to look at is throttle cable tension, is there any slack when it's closed? Also add a couple drops of oil to the felt pad down in the end of the distributor shaft (remove rotor), the mechanical advance may be hanging up.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 56

Jump to: