Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Noted thank you Jpaull. I'll contact Holley and see if by chance they know.

I was wondering if the specs that were listed give an indication of peak current. Is there a formula or ratio that can be used (using the other specs commonly listed) to calculate peak current, and duration for that matter?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

ottobevis wrote:
Noted thank you Jpaull. I'll contact Holley and see if by chance they know.

I was wondering if the specs that were listed give an indication of peak current. Is there a formula or ratio that can be used (using the other specs commonly listed) to calculate peak current, and duration for that matter?

Great question. Generally:
If Turns ratio goes up, volts go up, peak current goes down, and vice versa.
If Primary resistance goes down, peak current goes up, and vice versa.

Coil manufacturers wont lie about primary resistance. They cant, because if they do ignitions will die. But they can lie about voltage, because voltage is not the basis of a ignition surviving. And they can advertise more and if they are wrong and its less,it doesnt fry a system. Big voltage numbers sell. Paint the coils bright colors and say 50,000 volts!! Means nothing unless you know the rest of the story.
Next, Coil manufacturers like slimey pertronix leave out peak current. Cause that is one of the major factors defining performance. They would not even tell me peak current on their coils when emailing their tech. but i did find out their CDI box which was supposed to be super powerful, could not use any of the coils that a Crane/MSD7 series can use or they admitted it would fry their box. They said only use their weak coils that dont have peak current numbers.

Lets look at 2 coils and see how we can tell that one coil is a more efficient design:

MSD 8251 HVC E-Core Coil
.040 ohms primary resistance
45k Volts
85:1 Turns Ratio
1100mA Peak Current
150uS spark duration

MSD 8261 HVC-2 U-Core Coil
.016 ohms primary resistance
45k Volts
70:1 Turns Ratio
2000mA Peak Current
150 uS Spark Duration

So with the U-core coil, you get alot more power current(amps) potential, you dont sacrifice any spark duration, with only a slight difference in primary resistance.

Now again:

MSD 8207 Blaster SS E-Core
.35 ohms primary resistance
40k Volts
70:1 Turns Ratio
300mA Peak Current
220 uS Spark Duration

MSD 8253 HVC-2 U-Core
.16 ohms primary resistance
44k Volts
100:1 Turns Ratio
450mA Peak Current
450 uS Spark Duration

So here, you get 50% more peak current with the U-core coil over the E core coil and the primary only dropped .19, and the spark duration actually increased by double. And look, The turns ratio is higher, yet it also has higher current (It didnt sacrifice current for voltage). That 8253 U-core is the best street cdi coil that exists, can be used in any 6 series, crane, and comperable cdi boxes. Its just more efficient across the board. (but it costs more)

Canister coils are less efficient then both the u-core and e-core. Super depressing. everyone thinks cause they have a bright red canister coil that says "Blaster" on it, then it must be Blasting some powerful spark. Its not. Its one of the worst choices out there. Not efficient, low output.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thank you Jpaull. Understood about the relationship of turn ratios to current/volts and a lower turn ratio usually is preferable (Scott Novak had quoted 1:85 or below is preferable years ago). Also about U cores being more efficient. Just looking at various coil specs on the internet it seems there is tradeoff between peak current and duration too, although I could be wrong.

I didn't know that primary resistance quoted is normally true. It makes sense, its also easy for anyone to check using a regular multimeter so difficult to hide.

Comparing the two E core coils (8251 and 8207) they look pretty close in specs except the peak current (300ma versus 1100ma). Do you know what spec(s) contribute to this big difference? I'm thinking maybe a ratio between primary and secondary ???, or inductance, or something else like the gauge of wire used?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I would not say that lower turns ratio is always better, or likely better even. Look at the 8253 U core coil, its 100:1 turns ratio and still manages a 450mA peak current. Not only that, it still manages a spark duration of 450uS, which defies normal rules some, but thats a genuine technology advancement in efficiency.

Its likely that Scott Novak was not aware of coils like this 15 years ago. I see one of the times on shoptalk forums he mentions dont go over 85:1 turns ratio. This was in 2008, and the HVC2 coils had only been out a few years. There are many different choices for coils now. Not only that, even the used market has changed alot, because the new and expensive has had time to be used and up for sale. I think he would have fun testing the U core coils, and the Moroso plasma coil that is 165:1, and many other coils that are available now in the used market that was not available 15 years ago in the used market. Now all those expensive coils can be found on the used market for cheap and tinkering guys can test this stuff without going broke. There is a totally different selection of budget used stuff, and the MSD clone distribitors that change the ballgame for ignitions on a budget.

I think at that time, he gave some pretty good advice on what to get, where to find a powerful ignition for a good price. He also had some great points on distributors.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I see your point, I think Scott would have been referencing the turn ratio to Jacobs coils back then.

I hadn't heard of the Moroso plasma coil, it shows a very long duration and low peak current. It reminds me a bit of a 91 Crane coil. I think Cranes view was that the 91 was better for engines below 9.5 compression. I'm guessing their view was longer duration, less current is preferable for low compression engines and low RPM's. Shorter duration, higher current coils (92) preferable for high compression, higher RPM's.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
modok wrote:

That picture with the burnt rotor brings up an interesting thought
MSD (aka MULTILPLE spark discharge)
VS
Rotor phasing

hmmmm
Well, i don't want to rain negativity on this parade but, makes you wonder.
At the least having multiple sparks would make the rotor phasing more important to get right, and they don't mention that in the instructions.

Not raining on the Parade at all. I was wondering about that too. If your not running a black box or timing control/spark retard, rotor phasing is usually not a issue.

Looking at his rotor here, the question is, was that damage really due to off phase? I have never encountered this, I checked mine using a cut up cap and watched the spark nicely timed with the rotor on phase with my eyeballs while running.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it was, It Looks like he needs the CB Magnaspark rotor, Its a $8 easy fix.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2002.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MSD makes 2 different types of adjustable rotors:
Here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8421

And Here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-84211

I have not used the MSD adjustable rotors, I just use the Magnaspark version.

Is it necessary to phase in the rotor if you're using the wide tip magnaspark rotor, or say one of the wider tipped bosch rotors?

If it's still necessary, how is this done? I see MSD offers an adjustable rotor, but I don't think it fits the 8485 distributor for VW's. Not sure if it fits a Magnaspark or Billet Pertronix. Anybody played with this?
rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Morning ,not sure where to jump in on this subject but been reading these old threads for a while and came across these Ignition coils from Summit Racing. Both are under $50. Specs are below. 1st one says E-core, 2nd one doesn't.

Ignition Coil, CD, High Output, E-Core, Epoxy, Black, 48,000 V, Universal
Summit Racing Part Number:
SUM-850615
UPC:
Coil Style:
Remote mount
Primary Resistance:
0.250 ohms
Coil Internal Construction:
Epoxy
Coil Wire Attachment:
Male/HEI
Coil Color:
Black
Maximum Voltage:
48,000 V
Turns Ratio:
70:1
Secondary Resistance:
3.10K ohms
Inductance:
3.50 mH
Peak Current:
425 mA
Spark Duration:
200 uS
Notes:
Designed for use with a 6-series CD ignition.

2nd one
Ignition Coil, High Output, Epoxy, Black, 55,000 V, Universal
SUM-850617
UPC:
Coil Style:
Remote mount
Primary Resistance:
0.240 ohms
Coil Internal Construction:
Epoxy
Coil Wire Attachment:
Male/HEI
Coil Color:
Black
Maximum Voltage:
55,000 V
Turns Ratio:
72:1
Secondary Resistance:
3.10K ohms
Inductance:
3.50 mH
Peak Current:
425 mA
Spark Duration:
250 uS

The primary resistance might be under threshold mentioned for some cd boxes. Also, couple of vendors sell SQR Performance 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires #126741 50 Ohms/ft. under $60 V8 universal set. Any thoughts, Race
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Boxer, the wide tip rotor will work great, you should not have to phase the rotor. If your so far off that the wide tip is not sparking, you have other problems. The best way to Phase the rotor, is cut a hole in your cap to see whats happening. Its a good tool to have and do.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Boxer, the wide tip rotor will work great, you should not have to phase the rotor. If your so far off that the wide tip is not sparking, you have other problems. The best way to Phase the rotor, is cut a hole in your cap to see whats happening. Its a good tool to have and do.

That's great. According to Holley instructions, I need to get distributor up using a reference crank angle of 45 deg BTDC. Where on the magnaspark rotor should I line up? The leading edge?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

rbolner, Those coils are very close to the threshold of working well or not. I see that Summit gave the ok to use on a 6 series for one of them, so its up to you if you want to give them a try. Im only comfortable saying a blaster SS or 8253 HVC2 is 100% good and safe. The 2 coils your showing have the potential to have more power then the blaster ss, but they will also "tax" the 6a box more. The way i would check, is simply connect a blaster ss, see the spark, and then run one of those 2 coils you mentioned. if it indeed gives a more powerful spark, its not too much for the 6al box. If its not different, then its taxing the 6a box and not a improvement. Sorry im not of any more help.

The wire set you mention is a great set. 50 ohms per foot of spiral wound goodness is what you want. You just need to use something on the spark plug ends to keep the air from escaping the tin.

rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks jpaull. from what I have been reading here on these threads you have been a tremendous help with feedback and knowledge. As for the coils, both Summit coils could be used with 6al per phone conversation with Summit. I'll try the spark test when I get them. I do have the blue Intellitronix CD box 150DL/DM to use, there recommended coil is MSD 8202. Tech said engineer advises any coil with inductance of 4 mH or higher, higher the better. They work with Summit on recommendations. I'll try Summit coils with it cause it has a failsafe built into their box. As for the wires, CB's wire ends are the best for sealing tins(you have to modify the after market one's cause they suck/or leak). I did go to Oreillys for the SQR's and this is what they gave me, MSD 5551 SF wires. Numbers scratched out and SQR 126741 sticker on it (have pics but don't know how to load them). Didn't complain at the time cause I had a race that weekend, and you can make 3 possible sets with them (comes out to $17 a set) I'll try again with Oreillys for the real SQR's. (I get a military discount) Smile Thanks again, Race
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks again Jeff for doing all of this.
Really opened my eyes - and improved things greatly around here.

One of our real cars was in the shop so my wife took the Oval out to run errands.
Even after sitting for months with old fuel, it fired right off and idled cold.
Never would have been able to do that with the old blue coil setup.

Probably the best thing i ever did for that car.

What’s That Noise?!?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

boxer74 wrote:
jpaull wrote:

That's great. According to Holley instructions, I need to get distributor up using a reference crank angle of 45 deg BTDC. Where on the magnaspark rotor should I line up? The leading edge?

Great question. Just heads up for everyone else, Boxer74 is doing something pretty cool, hes using a Holley Sniper EFI with a locked out distributor. This was similar to the CB Black Box, and the reason why phasing is a issue. I just dont remember the setup, and dont want to steer you the wrong way.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Great question. Just heads up for everyone else, Boxer74 is doing something pretty cool, hes using a Holley Sniper EFI with a locked out distributor. This was similar to the CB Black Box, and the reason why phasing is a issue. I just dont remember the setup, and dont want to steer you the wrong way.

My guess is to line up the #1 reluctor with the magnetic pickup at 45 deg BTDC and program that as the reference angle in the sniper software. This is higher than the max advance the engine will operate at so the software has time to calculate the required advance.

Then the sniper offers an option to set a static time. So I can keep it at 15 deg and check with a timing light.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

rbolner wrote:
Thanks jpaull. from what I have been reading here on these threads you have been a tremendous help with feedback and knowledge. As for the coils, both Summit coils could be used with 6al per phone conversation with Summit. I'll try the spark test when I get them. I do have the blue Intellitronix CD box 150DL/DM to use, there recommended coil is MSD 8202. Tech said engineer advises any coil with inductance of 4 mH or higher, higher the better. They work with Summit on recommendations. I'll try Summit coils with it cause it has a failsafe built into their box. As for the wires, CB's wire ends are the best for sealing tins(you have to modify the after market one's cause they suck/or leak). I did go to Oreillys for the SQR's and this is what they gave me, MSD 5551 SF wires. Numbers scratched out and SQR 126741 sticker on it (have pics but don't know how to load them). Didn't complain at the time cause I had a race that weekend, and you can make 3 possible sets with them (comes out to $17 a set) I'll try again with Oreillys for the real SQR's. (I get a military discount) Smile Thanks again, Race

Thats awesome your using one of the Intellitronix boxes! We have not had anyone give us any feedback on those yet, and they are a neat possibility.

The intellitronix guys are pretty on it, and I see their point regarding the Inductance. This is another way to capture the "threshold" in which a coil could be "taxing" or adding stress to a CDI box. When they say to keep the to keep the inductance over 4mH, then those 2 Summit coils are 3.5mH which might not be good for the Intellitronix.

You could go with the Fast i91, as it has a inductance of 4.7mH. It has a peak current of 380mA, and spark duration of 280uS. So your a little more powerful then a Blaster SS, ALOT more powerfull then that Blaster 8202 Party Pooper Canister, but still in the safe zone.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-730-0891

Let us know how it goes!

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Thanks again Jeff for doing all of this.
Really opened my eyes - and improved things greatly around here.

One of our real cars was in the shop so my wife took the Oval out to run errands.
Even after sitting for months with old fuel, it fired right off and idled cold.
Never would have been able to do that with the old blue coil setup.

Probably the best thing i ever did for that car.

Awesome feedback! Glad you have a setup that works and is reliable. Thanks for giving it a try and letting folks know how its still doing.

Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for really going down the rabbit hole. This thread, combined with the Black Box thread, has expanded my understanding of ignition systems in a big way as I would probably not have studied to the extent of knowledge provided by our resident experts.

This inspired me to reconsider my coil choice from last year. I picked up an MSD 8207 based largely on the knowledge shared here and a call to Holley to verify it would get along with my Streetfire CDI. Great cost-effective upgrade that replaced a Blaster 2 8203 cansiter coil. Probably should have done the 8207 in the first place, as the 8203 is a bit more expensive to begin with and apparently not as powerful. We live and learn...

Still not entirely sure if there's a placebo effect here, but the coil change did seem to make cold starts a tad better, hot starts quite a bit better, idle ever so slightly smoother, low speed acceleration/tip-in a bit smoother, and the idle speed seemed to pick up by about 75-100 RPM. I might pull back idle advance from 15 to 12 to see if it slows down the idle a bit without carb adjustments. Easy and reversible programming change if it doesn't make a difference.

This was not just for giggles, but in preparation for an AMR 500/water injection setup that I'm getting close to finishing up and hope to install early in the new year. I figure the better ignition cannot hurt.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Rob Combs wrote:
Thanks to all of you for really going down the rabbit hole. This thread, combined with the Black Box thread, has expanded my understanding of ignition systems in a big way as I would probably not have studied to the extent of knowledge provided by our resident experts.

This inspired me to reconsider my coil choice from last year. I picked up an MSD 8207 based largely on the knowledge shared here and a call to Holley to verify it would get along with my Streetfire CDI. Great cost-effective upgrade that replaced a Blaster 2 8203 cansiter coil. Probably should have done the 8207 in the first place, as the 8203 is a bit more expensive to begin with and apparently not as powerful. We live and learn...

Still not entirely sure if there's a placebo effect here, but the coil change did seem to make cold starts a tad better, hot starts quite a bit better, idle ever so slightly smoother, low speed acceleration/tip-in a bit smoother, and the idle speed seemed to pick up by about 75-100 RPM. I might pull back idle advance from 15 to 12 to see if it slows down the idle a bit without carb adjustments. Easy and reversible programming change if it doesn't make a difference.

This was not just for giggles, but in preparation for an AMR 500/water injection setup that I'm getting close to finishing up and hope to install early in the new year. I figure the better ignition cannot hurt.

Thats awesome!!!! This type of feedback is the best ever. When people are able to maximize what they have, and do so without much cash investment, its a win-win. Thank you for sharing! And yes your right, that coil change is indeed enough to see a difference. Your getting the most you can out of the CDI box that you have now.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
boxer74 wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Can confirm that the magnaspark cap and rotor fit the Chinese MSD copy perfectly.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Boxer, thank you for confirming that!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 44

Jump to: