Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My milling machine is bigger than yours
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Yeap - on the Criterion. Has the silver ring above the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Those of you who have Burke Millrite's, do you have this tag on your motor? The PO appears to have used a chemical which removed the etched text so I have no idea what any of this means..I mainly want to confirm HP and phase. I'm assuming the 1 and the 3 in the upper right may be 1 hp and 3-phase..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

TXHCBeetle wrote:
Those of you who have Burke Millrite's, do you have this tag on your motor? The PO appears to have used a chemical which removed the etched text so I have no idea what any of this means..I mainly want to confirm HP and phase. I'm assuming the 1 and the 3 in the upper right may be 1 hp and 3-phase..

1150 rpm, 4 amps at 220V, 3 phase, 1 HP, 60 hz
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

A small mill like that be in the 1hp range - nice if 3phase. Get you a rotary converter and be golden.

I built all mine - rotary converters. They are not hard to build. Enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
A small mill like that be in the 1hp range - nice if 3phase. Get you a rotary converter and be golden.

RickS wrote:
1150 rpm, 4 amps at 220V, 3 phase, 1 HP, 60 hz

Thanks guys. Just received the mill in the crate the other day, unpacking and evaluating what I have. I really wish mill manufacturers would have used a different fitting besides zerks for oiling...the PO used grease... Rolling Eyes
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I run my 3phase tools off individual VFDs wired directly to the motor with shielded cable. Then I just control the VFD with the factory switch rewired to the 5 volt inputs. Nice thing is I can use the VFD on my lathe as a brake when I turn it off. Many modern VFDs also can keep the spindle speeds more consistent with varying loads since they can sense current draw. Cheap too. The price of good drives has gone down a ton in the last 10 years.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Why would you choose a rotary converter vs a VFD?

I already know why i choose VFD's, I'm just curious of your reason for choosing Rotory/Phase converters.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Here is the tag off our older Miirite. It has a stubby motor like yours. Our slightly newer Millrite has a taller Bridgeport style motor.

New VFD is the way to go for sure. Variable speed, braking, and phase converting in a small box for less than $200.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Rotary converters can power higher HP requirements and can support several machines at once. You cannot do that w/ VFDs. For iddy biddy 1 hp -yes VFDs.

I like the rotary coz they are like plows-sturdy. Other than the noise of rotary, I have no preference for VFDs. I like to build the converters in very low RPM motors in the 15-20 HP range. Just a little hum - is fine w/ me.

I run a giant 100gal. 10hp 3 phase compressors and I gotta have the power. Same time running, I use the lathe or mill while the compressor is running.

Rotaries are more expensive but well worth to me.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Rotaries were used to convert single phase to three phase long before VFDs were invented. That was our only option back then.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

We have a current project on our shop floor with a 75hp motor driven by a VFD… and even that isn’t a big drive. I have seen them for applications approaching 1000 hp… so, yeah, you can drive just about anything you want with the VFD.

One thing I will say, is be careful with sizing if you want to use it as a motor break. Quickly stoping a motor and rotating mass takes a lot of current. For example, I had to use a 2hp VFD on my 1hp lathe to use it as a brake.

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Rotary converters will power 3-ph machines and act just as intended. If i throw that lathe in reverse at full forward speed, it will reverse. Can a VFD do that?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Yes, you have to size it properly though so that it can drive the current required to brake the motor and start it quickly. It’s all about current capacity and acceleration times. Also moving mass is important. Accelerating a larger mass places higher current demands on the drive, so size accordingly.

We stop, start, and reverse motors on a dime with VFDs all the time. In fact, I can’t remember the last machine we built that used 3 phase from the main panel to drive a motor. Even though we have 3 phase in the panel, we drive them with a VFD. 480v 3 phase into the VFD where it is rectified and inverted back to 480 3phase. It sounds redundant, but we get a lot better motor control that way.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Rotary converters will power 3-ph machines and act just as intended. If i throw that lathe in reverse at full forward speed, it will reverse. Can a VFD do that?

It's possible, but out of the box they will be programmed for a slower start, because it's not good for a motor to DO that anyway..
But one of the reasons VFD's almost always work well on these old motors is the motors are designed to take the abuse of....people like you and me. Laughing

So you could, but you probably shouldn't.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I guess my perspective is a little different because my work is designing/building automation machinery. On the equipment, we frequently use VFDs for safe stoping distance of hazards to the operator. Operator breaks the safety circuit, and that machine has to arrest all movement in a certain number of milliseconds so the machine can’t injure and operator. And these machines can run millions of cycles. No harm to the VFD if you get the right size for the job. In you are undersized, it will let you know, typically by faulting out an over current error.

No VFD is set up ready to go out of the box. It’s a control unit. Treat it as such. You need to program it to have it do what you want. Unless you tell it otherwise, the only thing it will do is on off and forward reverse at an arbitrary acceleration rate.

The VFD on my lathe can brake and start the motor way harder than the belt grips the pulley. If I set the acceleration rate of the VFD too quick, the headstock continues spinning after the motor stops or changes direction. Right now I have the acceleration rate set so that I start/stop/reverse as fast as I can without ever slipping the belt. Works pretty nice.

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Rotary converters can power higher HP requirements and can support several machines at once. You cannot do that w/ VFDs. For iddy biddy 1 hp -yes VFDs.

I like the rotary coz they are like plows-sturdy. Other than the noise of rotary, I have no preference for VFDs. I like to build the converters in very low RPM motors in the 15-20 HP range. Just a little hum - is fine w/ me.

I run a giant 100gal. 10hp 3 phase compressors and I gotta have the power. Same time running, I use the lathe or mill while the compressor is running.

Rotaries are more expensive but well worth to me.

lol I assumed as much, but wanted to verify. I know you love your huge assortment of machines, and have a warehouse full of them. Cool I knew that rotory's previously had a advantage on multiple machines, but many guys here dont need them, using just 1 mill or lathe. For them, using a $200 VFD and being able to vary the machine rpm's makes more sense. Its just more likely a guy can get up and running for less out of pocket and the VFD's are safe and quiet. For most guys, the Rotary converter is gonna set them back 3x the cost and not have any advantages. Will make noise having a complete seperate electric motor, take up more space, and dont enable variable speeed capabilities.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I like powering up my 15HP rotary converter. She hums at about 950 RPM -all day long. I am building an even better rotary - 20HP Westinghouse in 1150 RPM. I have several dozens of unused capacitors still in their packagings..all surplus. Be a shame of nobody finds any use for them in the shop. Laughing

Saves me time to just to the machine and turn it on. The VFDs may seem cheaper to start out but if you gotta work w/ several machines I would think they will add up. And can you do repairs on VFDs?

The rotary converters are easy to fix and easy to build. Since the motor is not even loaded by any means -just hums and induce the 3rd coil windings- is all it does. The capacitors do the rest to keep the juice up.

I started out w/ the static converter and quickly did not like it. I went rotary immediately. Never looked back.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Yeah, I will agree, static converters are garbage. Never used one that was worth a darn.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

When I bought my machines I bought a rotary converter. It just seemed the better choice. The static modules are tempting because of the price.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Also - the static ones will spill all sorts of ruckus in the neighborhood for electrical interference. Laughing

Everyone will probably hear all the humming on the radios when you are running your machines. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: