Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low down Hillbilly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

A pic of the assembled cover, I later added a lip around the bottom to assist with sealing as well as centering during installation. The edges will be rounded, sanded and wrapped in epoxy/'glass for longevity. Once it's been painted, sound matting will be added to the interior surfaces.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Great job on the roll bar. I like the contours and fit to the body. For the cross bar, you may want to add some 'stays' for the harnesses (if you hadn't planned to). You don't want them to be able to move side-to-side -- especially with lowback seats and a windowless buggy. Wink

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I'm inspired by the attention to detail in many of the builds I see here on the Samba and a few FB pages I follow. I'm just trying to play keep-up with the bigger boys, using my limited equipment and engineering solutions as I go. A couple hours work, performed regularly adds up quickly and keeps interest in the project fresh.

I do intend to include a pair of those seat belt retention hoops which are also in the current line-up with the overhead connectors, another set of lower side bars, 2 or 3 X braces, fire extinguisher mounts and... Wink
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Damn, been a while since I checked in on your thread, you're moving right along. I was digging the vibe of the Ford teardrop tail lights, but I do like what you're doing with the Bus lamps.

Looking back, I don't know if you ever answered whether your teardrop trailer is home-made Think
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Damn, been a while since I checked in on your thread, you're moving right along. I was digging the vibe of the Ford teardrop tail lights, but I do like what you're doing with the Bus lamps.

Looking back, I don't know if you ever answered whether your teardrop trailer is home-made Think

I decided to change out the tear drops as they were feeling a bit overdone and the early bus tail lights still fit the vintage vibe, plus give additional visibility while on the road. I guess I'm getting old and worrying more about function over form. I also utilized a matching bus rear view mirror from the same era. I'm trying to add period correct items with a few modern touches thrown in for good measure.

Sorry if I missed your question. Yes, the teardrop is home made. Mostly from 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. I used a piece of string, 3 push pins and a pencil to create the outline, cut it out from OSB to use as a pattern, then bonded two 5' x 5' sheets together to create the correct length and used a flush trim bit in the router to cut it out. I used epoxy and PL80 adhesive throughout, finished in a layer of fiberglass cloth then 2 coats of varnish to protect the epoxy from the sun.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

There are now at least two layers of epoxy/'glass on all surfaces of the box and after lifting it in and out of the back window, I decided it needed handles. The idea of creating handles morphed into building a rack to bungy a day pack, etc. to, which I drilled and chamfered a lot of holes. I think I'll leave the cross bars for contrast, but I may change my mind later. It does add some visual interest to the otherwise open flat top of the cover.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Looks great, one of the coolest builds I've seen in a long time.

I just gotta ask tho, mainly because I have been dealing with a whiplash injury that's kept me from work or doing anything much for the last 5 months. Have you thought about a head pad off of the rear crossbar? Even just a small padded circle behind each seat to limit the movement of your head if something happened? Just asking.

Keep up the great work.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Looks great, one of the coolest builds I've seen in a long time.

I just gotta ask tho, mainly because I have been dealing with a whiplash injury that's kept me from work or doing anything much for the last 5 months. Have you thought about a head pad off of the rear crossbar? Even just a small padded circle behind each seat to limit the movement of your head if something happened? Just asking.

Keep up the great work.

Totally valid point, I had a '62 Austin Mini woody station wagon about 30 years ago that I was rear ended in. Whiplash definitely takes a long time to heal. Dune buggies are not long on crash protection in general, a step up from a motorcycle. I suppose I could have taken the build in a different direction, however when building custom cars sometimes form follows function. To answer your question, I have thought about a head rest/pad. We'll see what the possibities are once the X-brace goes in the main hoop.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Decided to use smaller tubing to support the rack as the proportions fit better, welded on 5/16" nuts + bolts for the mounts. I spent most of the afternoon cleaning up the risers before welding them to the rack. It's definitely less awkward lifting the cover in and out through the back window than it was before. The rack will be plenty strong enough to bungy a small cooler and basket lunch to for weekend outings. Now, I can get back to finishing the roll cage and bumpers.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I ordered a couple of wink mirrors to fill in the blind spot the rear corners of the top create. They were surprisingly cheap ($23cdn from kmstools.com) and shine with an excellent looking build quality. They have adjustable angle arms, left or right side, stainless steel construction, convex glass mirror, etc. Two Allen set screws and you're good to go, originally intended for door jambs but perfect for the thickness of my windshield posts. Old school style.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Tie downs added to each end of the air system/trans cover which were pirated from a Jeep YJ or similar.

Additional tubes added overhead to tie the cage together. Connecter tubes along lower body line and cross braces to follow.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

A friend dropped by today to help me lift off the roof so I could get on with the roll cage build. While I was waiting, I decided to install the tri-bar head lights which had arrived. I also ordered new head light retainers instead of wasting a lot of time on the crusty old set which wouldn't have turned out as nice anyway. The head light rings are from a Karmann Ghia.

In the works is an X-brace for the top of the cage whose pieces will need to be welded in working forward from the rear hoop, with the front braces going in last.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Overhead X-brace fab completed today. Now I can go back and fully weld the front/rear hoop overhead connectors, then all the upper braces can be welded into place. Likely to start on the lower side braces next to help tie it together.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I can’t wait to see this thing from outside the garage. These close ups are a tease.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
I can’t wait to see this thing from outside the garage. These close ups are a tease.

Me too, it's the most complete it's ever been...

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Added additional bracing to the steering column support to help stiffen the chassis and increase crash protection. I didn't want to crowd the footwell with too many extra tubes as the windshield wiper assembly is right above the centre console and the body needs to lift straight up to be removed. I'll soon be able to mount the rest of the air ride system so it will function from the switches instead of four Schrader valves.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Working on filling the space between the welded-on steering support section and the bolt-in cage. The pic shows a mock-up of the fire extinguisher mount. There will be welded tabs on the tubing and the 3/16" thick mounts will tie things together with 3/8" bolts.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Haven't had a lot of workshop time this week, but did manage to get one side of the extinguisher mount fabbed/welded to the removable cage. Next up will be a little CAD for the other side, more welding and detailing. The mount itself was made by cutting a 2" wide section of 4" diameter x 3/16" wall tube in half and welding it to a length of 1.5" x 3/16" bar. The wall mount that came with the fire extinguisher bolts into the cage mount and will keep it tucked in while connecting the two cage sections together.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

One down, one to go as I plan to fill the other side the same way. Everything unbolts but still ties things together along with providing additional fire safety.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Right side of the cage is done for now. Next up will be repeating this on the left side.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: