Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Has anyone done it and NOT had any issues after?

I manage a number of desktops at my synagogue and religious school, all are off lease Windows 10. All have a 4th generation Intel processor so they don't meet the minimum requirements.

Since it was introduced there have been a number of ways to get around this and this way seems the simplest so I went ahead and tried in on a older, spare desktop with a i3 3rd generation processor... and it work.

Link

Just wondering if anyone has done it a month or more ago and not had any problems.

Since Windows 10 will be supported till October 2025, I don't want to find out months after that some thing don't work or you can't get updates.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Honestly I would look for new computers. In the long run you will be glad you did.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Honestly I would look for new computers. In the long run you will be glad you did.

Actually not needed.
My personal desktop was manufactured in 2013 and runs better than most new ones.

The desktops I manage are i5 4th generation, 16Gb ram, 512Gb SSD and windows 10 Pro... I paid $275 each. They are just used for basic tasks such as email, word processing, web surfing and an online school curriculum.

If I bought new ones they would of cost easily twice as much. Every dollar save is one that doesn't need to be donated.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

why would you want windows 11? The new features are worth it. Your sacrificing performance for no real gains. Other than more integrated stalking software.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
why would you want windows 11? The new features are worth it. Your sacrificing performance for no real gains. Other than more integrated stalking software.

It has to do with having a business on supported hardware for insurance reasons.

Not looking to do it now, just want to make sure that when they drop support for Windows 10 I can have the PCs on a supported version.

Hell... i'm still running Windows 7 at home.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Hell... i'm still running Windows 7 at home.

Me too !!! Except for the times when it runs me !!!

My Dell 6450 laptop was purchased used, was new about 2013. This replaced my Dell desktop unit on Windows XP.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

I recently bought a new laptop 2 months ago. It came loaded with Windows 10, and as soon as I use it, I get a message to download and try Windows 11 free. So I did. Honestly I don't really see a difference between the two, except they moved the damn shut off button to the center instead of the left side. No issues running the program.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
they moved the damn shut off button to the center instead of the left side.

You can move it to the left, it's just a taskbar setting .

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Will Windows 11 run on my unsupported hardware?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

I can’t help with Windoze support, Glenn, but have you ever thought to migrate to Chromebook? You can use the same Rabbi to purge the evil of Google as you do Microsoft. Cost is under $200 per machine.

Linda gives me all tech support on Windoze here.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

fuck no fuck no fuck NO to fuckbook. I have to use these pieces of dogshit 5 days a week. Theyre gutted useless giant search engines. You dont get to have applications. Only web based "add ons". The file system SUCKS. Personalization doesnt exist.

Most chromebooks are "fast", because theyre not running programs that are actually large!

EVERYTHING requires internet access. Thats the "selling point of the CB". Basically no exceptions.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

You guys don't get it, i'm not asking what OS I should run, this is not what "I" want to use.

Let's face it, for most small businesses, Windows is the OS to use. BTW, we do have 2 Macs.

Yes there are alternatives such as Google's online apps, in fact we do have G Suite. But for the basic part of running the business and the staff that does it... they know Windows and Office.

The school has a web based curriculum, so chromebooks could of worked but lets face it they generally don't have enough storage or computing power. They are also harder to get and these off lease desktops were too cheap to not get.... after they replaced donated machines from families that upgraded and were running Windows 7.

Also all the desktops have monitors and large flat panel screen mounted on the wall.

Since all of the desktops are the same, yesterday I upgraded 2 of them and will see how they work over the next few months. I saved the ISO file in the event that MS pulls the free upgrade like they did for Windows 7 to 10.

When it comes to chromebooks, my son is a teacher, and he had to supplement his school chromebook with his personal PC when teaching from home. The CB could not handle online video teaching and running other tasks at the same time.

Chromebooks have their place but they are lightweights.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Yes. We call Chromebook, "Chromosomes"..

Mainly because it sounds more funny when teach says "get out your chromosomes" Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

only thing I'm having problems with in Win11 are 3rd party hardware plugins like toyota techstream
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Everything we use is web based software, do I let my propel choose their own hardware. They all use Mac’s and IOS devices
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
only thing I'm having problems with in Win11 are 3rd party hardware plugins like toyota techstream

Yes, I had issues with old software not running on Windows 11.

The VW ETKA software doesn't run, but there are web based versions.

I had Quicken 2000 for my checkbook, but was able to get free upgrades that got me to 2013 which works on Windows 11.

Part of the reason to go to 10 or 11 is that you can't get the latest browser versions if you're still on 7. I had that with a Chrome extension that needed to be upgraded but it wouldn't work on the last version of Chrome that works on Windows 7.

Now you can run Windows 7 in a virtual machine under Windows 11, but that's more screwing around that I want to bother with.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

I wish I could find the W10 upgrade, I have a W7 machine was in storage for a few years and missed some of the updates to be able to install W10, seems I'm screwed now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wish I could find the W10 upgrade, I have a W7 machine was in storage for a few years and missed some of the updates to be able to install W10, seems I'm screwed now.

$50
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pr...hbdg=L1600

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

My laptop (Dell from 2013) runs Windows 7 Professional. I have Word 2000 and Excel 2000, and have zero idea if stuff like that would run if I upgraded Windows, or if I'd need to pay for upgrades for that too.

So I'm standing pat for now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on unsupported hardware Reply with quote

Office 2000 works on windows 11.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: