Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

I filled the tank after replacing the fuel lines and all of a sudden had a lot of dripping in the center of the van. Upon inspection and lowering the gas tank (picture 1) is what I noticed is broken. Does anyone know the name of these? According to the mechanic here i Mexico, these are for the gas fumes to leave and shouldn't leak unless the tank is over filled. Maybe replacing this broken part might resolve. Any suggestions? And if there are parts similar that I would find in Mexico?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

That's the cross over.
They always break.
Reseal your tank, since you have it out now.
Buy the kit and these fittings will be included.

https://gowesty.com/products/fuel-tank-re-seal-kit

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

mazzidumato wrote:
I filled the tank after replacing the fuel lines and all of a sudden had a lot of dripping in the center of the van. Upon inspection and lowering the gas tank (picture 1) is what I noticed is broken. Does anyone know the name of these? According to the mechanic here i Mexico, these are for the gas fumes to leave and shouldn't leak unless the tank is over filled. Maybe replacing this broken part might resolve. Any suggestions? And if there are parts similar that I would find in Mexico?

This is one of the most common problems with a Vanagon.

Your mechanic is right - the hoses are for fumes to escape the tank and go into the evaporative system (those plastic boxes in your front wheel wells). He's NOT right that overfilling is the problem - the problem is obviously the broken fitting and can also be due to old hoses or bad o-rings on the filler neck, fuel level sender, or where those fittings plug into the tank.

All of the vendors sell the parts to fix that stuff

I would go with this one but it's out of stock right now;
https://vancafe.com/complete-2wd-fuel-tank-reseal-...-fittings/

So there's this one;
https://vancafe.com/complete-2wd-fuel-tank-reseal-kit-with-plastic-pipe-fittings/
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

Plastic and rubber on these vans, especially with the fuel system gets brittle and fails over time.

You can go with new plastic fittings like the one in the previous comment. I know I've seen some folks fit metal fittings for those hoses too.

If that failed, check and see if you still have the plastic fuel connector on the firewall (passenger side) that connects the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the fuel supply hose coming in to the engine system. If you still have that item have it removed and replaced with a metal unit.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

Since we are in Mexico and couldn't find the specific parts. This is what the mechanic thought of. Any reason this could be a problem?

skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

mazzidumato wrote:
Since we are in Mexico and couldn't find the specific parts. This is what the mechanic thought of. Any reason this could be a problem?

As long as the hose going into the seals are snug and have a good seal, that should work. The plastic replacement however has ridges that prevent it from popping out.
mazzidumato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

Thanks skemems. This is pretty tight. 👍👍
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

This may have been covered in great detail a time or two before, this is a great time to learn to use the FAQ’s they are quite handy and cover 99% of what happens to our vans.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

You don't want any undue force between the fitting and the grommet, as that may cause a leak. What you have shown may well work, but I would try to find molded hoses to fit onto the vertical fitting to take some of the twist out of how the hoses fit. Maybe use what the mechanic has made up for now and order the correct parts. My experience is that some kits are way better than others, but its been quite a few years at this point since I bought a kit, so don't want to comment on any specific one.
netforest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

I have a similar issue when I fill up the tank and after driving awhile the issue is resolved. Anyone know what the cost might be to have a VW repair shop fix the issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

netforest wrote:
I have a similar issue when I fill up the tank and after driving awhile the issue is resolved. Anyone know what the cost might be to have a VW repair shop fix the issue?

It "resolves" because driving around drops the fuel level below whichever seal,fitting/line is leaking. Don't fill the tank all the way is one (temporary) solution, but that only works if your leak isn't as catastrophic as the OP.

The usual vendors have re-seal kits, $100-$120(?) for parts but the real work is getting the tank out. You can do it on the ground (I did with the van on jackstands) but a lift would be easier. Messy job too, lots of crusty and probably fuel dosed junk up in there. Snaking the evap and fuel lines is kind of fussy too.

Start to finish by a knowledgeable Vanagon mechanic with a lift....I'd budget 4 hours of shop time. Potentially less than that but you just never know what gremlins are lurking, and you may as well get all the lines in the system done while you are in there.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
.I'd budget 4 hours of shop time. Potentially less than that but you just never know what gremlins are lurking, and you may as well get all the lines in the system done while you are in there.

1 day (8 hours) minimum for a full reseal.

It takes a lot of TLC to remove all of this shit and not break a nipple off of the expansion tanks when replacing the lines

Also, brace for impact...I use legit fuel injection clamps not those asshole oetiker clamps and there is a TON of clamps.

you're looking at 1k easy for a shop charging 100/hr and 100/hr is cheap these days

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

^^^ $100 an hour is dirt cheap anywhere where people live. Don't be surprised if any shop willing to accept this job charges $185/hour.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

If you still have the original tank, and pay for this work, personally there’s no way I’d pay for the labor and NOT replace the fuel tank.

There’s still plenty of $100/hr shops in America around in less-expensive areas of the country. I’d suspect Panama is half of that.

— Colin Chapman
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

I just had this done at a Tucson shop -- I provided the kit and they did the work: $500.

I'm past an age where I enjoy lying on my back under cars and I no longer have my lift so I was happy to pay. Everything was perfect the first time (which isn't always the case with this project).

Filled the tank to the absolute max: no runs, no drips, no errors.

Looking at the bill, they charged me for 3½ hours @ $140/hour plus $10 in shop supplies. This is a shop that specializes in Mercedes, Porsches, BMW and Vanagons.

I brought the van in with the tank almost empty and a 1 gallon can of gas on board.

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
no way I’d pay for the labor and NOT replace the fuel tank.

yea...about that...

new tank, filled to the top. Didn't leak until day 2 or 3....right from the seam.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

I just did this job on my van last Thursday. 6 hours for me including draining 1/2 tank of gas. I already did a reseal a couple years back, the reason this time was a tank swap for the 12mm outlet, and later fuel filter, getting rid of that plastic cube.
My clamps were all "new" fuel injection clamps so undoing was a breeze.

I reused all my seals as they were mint from having just been done a couple years earlier, so no surprises. The evap lines are the biggest pain in the butt to fish through. The tank I took out is extremely clean, my vehicle has not seen winters, so if you are doing a reseal, I would not automatically change the gas tank, unless it looks crusty. I really prefer OEM VW parts as opposed to some of the trash being offered today.
That being said the Spectra tank I bought looks well made and fit perfectly.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
If you still have the original tank, and pay for this work, personally there’s no way I’d pay for the labor and NOT replace the fuel tank.

There’s still plenty of $100/hr shops in America around in less-expensive areas of the country. I’d suspect Panama is half of that.

$20 an hour
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I just did this job on my van last Thursday. 6 hours for me including draining 1/2 tank of gas. I already did a reseal a couple years back, the reason this time was a tank swap for the 12mm outlet, and later fuel filter, getting rid of that plastic cube.
My clamps were all "new" fuel injection clamps so undoing was a breeze.

I reused all my seals as they were mint from having just been done a couple years earlier, so no surprises. The evap lines are the biggest pain in the butt to fish through. The tank I took out is extremely clean, my vehicle has not seen winters, so if you are doing a reseal, I would not automatically change the gas tank, unless it looks crusty. I really prefer OEM VW parts as opposed to some of the trash being offered today.
That being said the Spectra tank I bought looks well made and fit perfectly.

Yes, the spectra replacement tank worked well for me as well: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,199...+tank,6268

With these vehicles approaching 40 years old, moving away from fixing individual broken components and towards renewing the whole system whenever possible/affordable has greatly increased the reliability of my van.

When my original gas tank started shedding enough rust to clog the filter, I replaced the tank, the crossover lines & valves, outlet hoses, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I should have also replaced the vapor recovery tanks in the front wheel wells at that time as well. There was nothing technically difficult about this job, just some manual labor getting everything in place. It took me a couple tries to get the crossover lines run correctly with no upward tension, so they weren't pulling the vapor valves out of the top of the tank. My biggest worry was whether I could get the big fuel filler tube sufficiently sealed going into the tank.

Everyone has their own optimal sweetspot for repairs between cost and effort. I tend to overdo it on the DIY side because I enjoy classic car work, I have most of the tools I need, and not paying labor rates gives me so much more runway to buy additional parts and more fun tools.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leaking when tank is filled completely. Help please. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
E1 wrote:
no way I’d pay for the labor and NOT replace the fuel tank.

yea...about that...

new tank, filled to the top. Didn't leak until day 2 or 3....right from the seam.

Forgot about the “new parts, better or not?” factor.

Geez, that’s just not right…

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: