Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Geezus, I need some sleep…and should have clarified. My comment was in regards to keeping the engine narrow. You’d have cut the cylinders down if you use the C pistons

slalombuggy wrote:
txoval wrote:
Have you bought the pistons? Go with C pistons (33mm pin height) and you’ve made 2 of the 3.5mm up

Just need to do the math before ordering parts…once in hand, measure and fine tune as necessary

He needs to move the pistons up. Not down. "A" pistons would be better suited to what he needs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Lets just do the "hypothetical" math for a +3.5mm case and 94mm cylinders

103.5mm (case centerline to case deck) + 114mm (cylinder length) = 217.5mm

41mm (half of crank stroke) + 35mm (B pin height) + 139.7mm (5.5" rods) = 215.7mm

In this scenario your pistons would be 1.8mm in the hole or a deck height of .072" (need to trim cylinders or deck case .030")

Change to 5.6" rods and the piston is sticking out of the hole .0296" (need to add .070" shim)

Change to 5.6" rods and C pistons and you have a .050" deck height

Everything needs to be measured, but this is the math if everything measured out and is useful for planning
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

41mm (half of crank stroke) + 35mm (B pin height) + 139.7mm (5.5" rods) = 215.7mm

In this scenario your pistons would be 1.8mm in the hole or a deck height of .072" (need to trim cylinders or deck case .030")

Change to 5.6" rods and the piston is sticking out of the hole .0296" (need to add .070" shim)

Everything needs to be measured, but this is the math if everything measured out and is useful for planning

Great Example!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Thanks that is extremely helpful.

I am going with 5.5" rods and the B height pistons, as I am able to get those.

My machinist buddy didn't seem to think it would be any issue taking some material off the top of the cylinders to get the compression ratio dialed in.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Next steps are cam and head choices.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Look to trim the bottom, you won't have to trim cooling fins that way.
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Look to trim the bottom, you won't have to trim cooling fins that way.

Can do, thanks.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

draksia wrote:
I am a definitely newbie building engines but a scored a great deal on an 82mm crank so I was thinking about getting started. The plan is to build a very mild 2180 with AA thick wall cylinders since I am planning to add AC and I thought the extra heat load capacity would not be a bad idea. I have a Holley Sniper single barrel setup so that is likely going to be the limiting factor in performance for this build.

CB has their aluminum case in stock but only the 3.5mm raised deck version. I ran the numbers on the deck height and with Panchito heads with a 54cc chamber and that comes out to 8.1 compression. So taking a few CC's out of the heads could bump it up closer to 9.

My basic understanding though is that the deck height should be closer to .070 or so.

I am wanting to double check this before I start ordering parts.

Also since the AA thick wall 92's are available in a base of 92 or 94mm I am not sure the best option for the base either.

Thanks in advance.

Standard deck 92 bore case is back in stock, I just bought one.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Would there be a downside to using a +3.5mm case and trimming the cylinders to hone in on the desired deck? I like the idea of extra aluminium for support.

Only upsides - stronget deck, more rigid top end
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

So I ended up getting some 5.6 rods and I am ordering a few more parts.

I so using the +3.5 mm deck and 5.6 rods with a roughly .070 shim puts me a total of about .208 wider.

Should I be running .25" longer head studs, I kind of think so but I am not sure?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

draksia wrote:
So I ended up getting some 5.6 rods and I am ordering a few more parts.

I so using the +3.5 mm deck and 5.6 rods with a roughly .070 shim puts me a total of about .208 wider.

Should I be running .25" longer head studs, I kind of think so but I am not sure?

Yes better to buy longer ones. Probably 1/2" longer is easy to find, and you can cut any excess if you need to.

Ted
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Yeah went with the longer ones, of course one of them is slightly bent.

I was thinking the same thing, it is much easier to take a little off than lengthen on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: