Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 56 garage restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Nice work! It's going to be a great car!
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Cleaned up with surface rust from the trunk space. I've been getting the color match paint from Temple paints (here on the Samba). It matches perfectly. I've been using it mainly on the wheel wells, engine bay and trunk space. The OG body paint isn't being touched, with the exception of a clear coat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Very nice!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Last week I got out there and installed the pan seal. It wasn't too difficult to mark the holes and punch them out. Unfortunately the 61's motor issue is currently delaying the 56 project. Hopefully it will just be a slight delay.
Also connected all of the brake lines and attempted to bleed them; however the brake fluid started leaking at the brake pedal, so I'll have to investigate that further.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Got some work done on the 56 this past week. I managed to get the brakes bled and then lowered the body back onto the pan. The external oil cooler installation is still on the list, but I'll get to that at some point.
I really wanted to get the 56 out of the garage so I could work on the 61 and address the vibrating clutch pedal (yeah, that's the new issue). I'll document that journey under the "Gulf Blue 61 ragtop" post.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Nice job! Got to keep that water out!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice job! Got to keep that water out!

Thanks brother! Fortunately there’s good weather in the forecast for the California desert! If I can just find a place to store the teardrop trailer, then I could have space in there for both. My wife will disagree! Hahaha
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

I just inherited a 1956, I'm already enjoying your thread very much. What was the issue with the brake fluid leaking from the pedal assembly?
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Chainsaw Monday wrote:
I just inherited a 1956, I'm already enjoying your thread very much. What was the issue with the brake fluid leaking from the pedal assembly?

Thanks! Be sure to make a thread about it and tell us all about it.
The leaking ended up being from a bad boot on the master cylinder. It was pretty beat up, so I just replaced the whole unit. No more leaking!

Also, do a search for Doug’s 56. His build thread inspired me to tear mine apart and give it the full restoration that it deserved. Best of luck with your 56.
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Got the 56 all shined up and mostly put back together. All that's left is to install a new wiring harness and to rebuild the motor, then we'll be good to go.

xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 56 garage restoration Reply with quote

Finally got the body bolted back onto the pan. Next up is the new wiring harness, which might get started this week. Things are moving along......

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: