Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else come to their senses?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

So after missing out on a rust free 2nd owner double cab, and running into a seller who upped the price $2k on a pristine Vanagon DOKA, I came to the conclusion ( at least in my case) it is better to lease a brand spanking new Toyota Tacoma for $400 a month than to buy a 50 yr old crew cab or 30 year Doka for clise to 30 grand. For the same amount, I will be drive a safe, worry free utilitarian vehicle for 6 years or 2 3 year leases. It’s a second car. Yes, I know about collectible value. I own a 13 windows, a 21 windows a type 34 and a sunroof squareback.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

30k into a money-sucking old VW habit is a lot of coin to have wasted in a depreciating goat.

That’s most of your retirement at age 30 , so it’s an old guys game.
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

You’re not wrong, the buses especially are very expensive, and unless you’re dedicated to the vw lifestyle 24/7 you might as well spend your money elsewhere. Then again, although a Tacoma sounds good to me in some ways, I couldn’t justify spending 40k on any vehicle. I just spent 3k on an old Volvo which, after minor repairs, has been as good to me as any Toyota Tacoma, and I could spend ten times that much and still be under Tacoma money budget...
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Both. The answer is always both. It's good to have choices! Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

If it’s a spare car, I would have leased a Challenger or Camaro. A sacrifice in practically, but still way more practical than a classic.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage

Last edited by NJ John on Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

I don't have the budget for either to be quite frank. Leasing is a total waste of money in my view but so is the depreciation on buying a new one. I say buy a used car at least 3 years old so the worst of the depreciation is past and the warranty bugs are worked out. I have had the best luck buying 10 to 15 year old high end foreign cars. They are generally very well cared for and very durable.

Collector cars are just a money pit for the rich. Old VWs on the other hand are for the most part, if you shop around, affordable "hobby only" cars and can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose them to be.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
So after missing out on a rust free 2nd owner double cab, and running into a seller who upped the price $2k on a pristine Vanagon DOKA, I came to the conclusion ( at least in my case) it is better to lease a brand spanking new Toyota Tacoma for $400 a month than to buy a 50 yr old crew cab or 30 year Doka for clise to 30 grand. For the same amount, I will be drive a safe, worry free utilitarian vehicle for 6 years or 2 3 year leases. It’s a second car. Yes, I know about collectible value. I own a 13 windows, a 21 windows a type 34 and a sunroof squareback.

Martin
Allwagons

Well, I can't fault you on your choice of a Tacoma-- I took delivery on a new one in January. It was a hard decision to buy new since I hadn't bought anything new since my '89 Ramcharger. I bought a four door 4x4 totally stripped and I am happy. I plan on keeping it a loooong time.

Old stuff is such a crap shoot. I have been very lucky with 'collector' cars in that none have been money pits but I have friends who have had some real turds. A few years ago I sold my '61 New Yorker that I had for twenty years. Brakes, tires and a set of safety belts were all I ever 'did' to it. I've had a few Valiants that were problem-free as well.

My '69 bug was a great car but my '74 sunbug was a cash burner. This '68 I have now sat for a long time so it needed a lot from neglect. I've put about $1500 in it but it was given to me by a buddy so it's a $1500 car to me.

The Tacoma I can drive all year 'round. Anything old would be driven about four months a year. Minnesota winters are eight months long.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Every used car I have ever bought was sold for a reason. You just need to discover what that reason is. If it is major and you are not prepared to deal with it then sell it to someone who is. Tires, brakes, light bulbs, shocks, belts, things like that are like gas and oil, just consumables in my mind. You have to buy them not matter what you drive. Not deal breakers, but can be used as bargaining chips,
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I don't have the budget for either to be quite frank. Leasing is a total waste of money in my view but so is the depreciation on buying a new one. I say buy a used car at least 3 years old so the worst of the depreciation is past and the warranty bugs are worked out. I have had the best luck buying 10 to 15 year old high end foreign cars. They are generally very well cared for and very durable.

Collector cars are just a money pit for the rich. Old VWs on the other hand are for the most part, if you shop around, affordable "hobby only" cars and can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose them to be.

That was my intention, buying a 1990's Doka, but like all trucks, when people sell them, they have been run to the ground. The ones that are super nice, are expensive! I love the space for my wife and I and the dogs, but love the cargo area for oversize items, like our scooters. I've always have leased cars, For the price of any and all the cars that I have leased,&$35-,$45K I've never put money down, free maintenance, 45,000 mile lease max, all for around $400 a mo. I could lease 3 cars for about 3 years without worries and a new car every 3 years.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

come to my senses?

what fun is there in that?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
come to my senses?

what fun is there in that?

Let me buy you a Beer!

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

if a doka would fit my needs i'd buy it then upgrade it to do what I wanted.

even if you were 40-50k into it it's still cheaper (and cooler) than most shitboxes offered today

I did that to my rabbit truck. 1.8T swap and went thru it top to bottom. been a daily now going on 6 years

it will do 147 with the cap on

gets 40-42 mpg if I keep my foot out of it

has ice cold a/c

paid for

does everything I need it to

and other than gas and oil changes....nothing else. I am close to a 30k service.

and at this point, I could sell it for more than I have into it....even factoring in my time which is almost impossible.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Quote:

The Tacoma I can drive all year 'round. Anything old would be driven about four months a year. Minnesota winters are eight months long.

Thank you for reminding me why I put up with the negatives of living in the L.A. area. Cool
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for reminding me why I put up with the negatives of living in the L.A. area. Cool

You get the best car chases in LA.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Lately we have been buying Japanese imports. Bought a rust free 2000 Forester 6 years ago for $4500 cash with 38K miles on it. Just sold it a couple weeks back for $2500 with +200K miles on it. The only thing aside from normal maintenance was a new rad just after we got it and a U joint about halfway through.

We just replaced it with an '05 rust free Golf Variant with 43K miles on it. I expect to get another 6 years and 200K miles out of this one too. Compare that to your $400/month rental bill! You still have to buy tires and gas just like the rest of us. That's $28,800 for the same service we will get from our $6000 (+ $250 for a safety inspection) VW! Now I have $22,550 to use to play with old air cooled VWs. Wink

Oh and did I mention that it gets 35 mpg on gas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I came to my senses on buying new cars back in 1976!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

I am not car shopping or car comparing. I just wanted a Doka, nothing else, no little wagon, no Japanese import. Either a Vanagon Doka or a double cab. It’s not about the money, as you can see or read above, I already have a few toys. If you can find me a Doka in the same conditions and price as your current/past vehicles. I will give you $2000. I am talking about not shelling out $30 grand versus your $4,500 and or a cheap lease fir a BRAND NEW MAINTENANCE FREE CAR. Oh, and I DO NOT work for Toyota, but they all come with Toyota care. Free maintenance.

Martin

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Similar situation here. Been looking for a decent split DC for a while. Kinda like notchbacks, the sellers are delusional and each one that's listed is more money and not as nice as the last one, so they just sit and not sell...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

I dont think youre gonna loose a lot of value with a Tacoma or a Bus.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I dont think youre gonna loose a lot of value with a Tacoma or a Bus.

Says a guy with a Tacoma and a bus. Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else come to their senses? Reply with quote

Speaking of delusional, anyone who thinks that buying a new vehicle will insure trouble free driving is in for a rude awakening. If that were the case then new car dealerships would have a greatly reduced service department. I don't have numbers in front of me but I suspect the vast majority of the work orders that pass over the service desk are for warranty work.

This is coming from having the company I worked for supply me with a new pickup every 2 to 3 years for the last 30 years. I cannot recall one truck that was totally problem free. Most of the issues were small annoying things that never got fixed, if it didn't prevent the truck from running down the road it stayed broken. The reason for that was that I was paid off the work orders I completed so any down time was unpaid time. Any warranty service work required a trip to the city and 1 day to get there and back minimum. Then if the truck was laid up due to ordering parts... the time came out of my income. I had an 2 week lay off once because of a new Ford F250. I finally went in and demanded a different truck or I was going to find a new employer. They gave me one the next day.

That friends was reality. I dreaded each and every new truck and my confidence in them grew as the accumulated miles went up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: