Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Hi all!

I just completed a spindle swap on my ‘72 bay window Westy. With these new spindles I installed fresh bearings and races on my hub. Put it all together, bled my new disc brakes and went on my merry way… for about a week. Then I noticed when my passenger side wheel hit bumps in the road there was a clunk. I drove with the clunk for about a day (maybe 4 miles, not much) before deciding it was in fact suspension and not just my passenger seat moving around. I’ve taken a look and all the spindle ball joint hardware seems snug, as with the caliper hardware and brake lines and everything. I believe that my axle clamp nut (google “axle clamp nut” if you’re unfamiliar with what I’m talking about) is not tight enough, causing the bearings to move on the spindle when hitting bumps. Since you can only fit a crescent wrench on this piece of hardware, I snugged it to “I can’t loosen it with my fingers” and not much more. In my research there’s multiple different measurements for how tight to go. Bentleys says “no more than 9ft-lb” but I believe that’s the hex screw on the clamp nut.

All this is to say… how tight should my axle clamp nut be? I saw a spec that said “as tight as reasonably possible and then back off about 60 degrees. Is that right? Thanks for taking the time to read my post
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Tight, then backed off a 1/4(ish) turn is correct, it has to have the tinyiest amount of play to allow grease between the bearing parts.

Hopefully you didn't damage your bearings by driving with it tightened up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Raise the wheel off the ground
Spin the tire while tightening the nut
Once tight back it off a bit
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Alright. Thanks guys.

I also hope I didn’t mess up my bearings or races. If I run into any more problems I’ll update this thread.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

You can’t mix races.

Wait, old school of thought.

You can’t mix bearing races.

Wait, still bad.

You can’t mix when bearingraces

Got it.

( Stolen from John Muir’s book)
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Is a feeler gauge spec not listed somewhere?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Is a feeler gauge spec not listed somewhere?

I seem to recall it is, or maybe for splitbus, the bay Bentley may be the one with the dial guage in/out test.

Another method is to tighten, then back off until the washer can just barely be moved radially.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

I like to use the Vanagon bearing adjustment technique which is to test the movement of the washer as you tighten the nut. Right at the point where the washer becomes harder to move is the point to aim for. Another technique is to set the bearing preload slightly on the high side and then drive for ten'ish miles at highway speeds with minimal use of the brakes. At 10 miles pull over and check the heat of the hub in the grease cap area, it should be only slightly above ambient. If the temp is too high loosen the nut by a 1/64 - 1/32nd of a turn and drive another ten miles and check the temperature again. When done correctly the bearing will generate little heat and be as tight as reasonable possible to give the best handling.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

The clamp nut has ZERO torque against the bearings/washer. It is meant to be "loose", meaning to leave .001-.005 in. axial play.

If you mean the socket-head screw on the clamp nut, torque is 11-14 ft-lb.

This is all in your Bentley manual.

The warning about not exceeding 9.5 ft-lbs does indeed apply to the torque of the nut against the bearings.
I don't think that's much more than hand-tight.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

You can set a roller bearing preset load correctly with hand strength on that nut. If you turn the wheel while you crank it down, you can feel the play disappear as it loads, and you will find the difference between no play and acceptable play will be something like one flat on the hex, or about 60 degrees of rotation

The bearing play has no impact on handling - 0.1mm of bearing motion is negligble compared to suspension and chassis flex.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

why reinvent the wheel. Just follow the factory specs and you won't be wrong.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Had no idea VW made that front wheel bearing service so technical.
One thing's for sure, when you put in new two-piece bearings, it's reasonable to drive it forty seconds to a minute, around the block say, & re-check / re-settle those front locknuts. Every one I ever touched was more than nine ft/lbs. But I always seemed to be the only guy who looked. : l
Nine on the allen bolt? Okay.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can set a roller bearing preset load correctly with hand strength on that nut. If you turn the wheel while you crank it down, you can feel the play disappear as it loads, and you will find the difference between no play and acceptable play will be something like one flat on the hex, or about 60 degrees of rotation

The bearing play has no impact on handling - 0.1mm of bearing motion is negligble compared to suspension and chassis flex.

Bingo
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Delete double post
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Had no idea VW made that front wheel bearing service so technical.
One thing's for sure, when you put in new two-piece bearings, it's reasonable to drive it forty seconds to a minute, around the block say, & re-check / re-settle those front locknuts. Every one I ever touched was more than nine ft/lbs. But I always seemed to be the only guy who looked. : l
Nine on the allen bolt? Okay.

There is a reason many companies tell you to over tighten the bearing and then spin the wheel a few times before doing the final adjustment of the bearing, it is to make sure the races are well seated and are thus less apt to move after the final adjustment and throwing it off.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

0.1mm of movement axial movement turns into much more than that at the tire treat, I prefer to eliminate play in the suspension wherever I can and have been running my bearings at the tight end of the spec for decades. The last and only wheel bearing I have lost on my own rigs was circa 1981 on a Type 181.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Abscate wrote:

0.1mm of movement axial movement turns into much more than that at the tire treat, I prefer to eliminate play in the suspension wherever I can and have been running my bearings at the tight end of the spec for decades. The last and only wheel bearing I have lost on my own rigs was circa 1981 on a Type 181.

You beat me to it.

Yes, excessive axial bearing play does have impact. Not so much on actual "handling"....but it does have impact on vibration. Its not like it will make you move from lane to lane or pull, but it does affect wheel wobble at high speed and can be an issue on wet pavement at highway speed.

Along the lines of what Wildthings noted...but did not elaborate on....the way the Bentley is having you measure....is purely "AXIAL".

You do NOT want 0.005" of axial play in a roller bearing that should actually have some preload. These bearings are no different than what you have in a differential. Are you running 0.001" to 0.005" axial play on those????

A different way to see what this is doing to you is to go ahead and use this method to set your axial play to 0.005". Then move the dial indicator off of the rotor and clamp it someplace steady like the fender well.

Put the dial indicator probe out near the edge of the rotor....and grab the edge of the rotor opposite where the indicator is and push it in and out.

You will see motion that far exceeds 0.005". This s the same kind of lateral force you get cornering or turning. It is a LOT of +/- play at the actual face of the tire.

It creates the kind of oscillation that will let you know when your steering damper is shot or the tread on your tires is just about gone.

Now....do the method that Wildthings calls the "Vanagon" method...or the method where after you have turned it a few times to evenly shear the grease....spin the wheel while slowly tightening the nut until the drag makes spinning difficult like it wants to stop itself. Then back off while spinning just until it spins freely.

As Kreemoweet noted....this is "maybe" 1/2 of 1 flat of the nut.

I actually use that method AND the Vanagon method...but the Vanagon method of testing the washer movement is done after the "spin"and lock method I just described.

Now...once you have done this and locked the pinch nut....THEN use the Bentley method to test the ACTUAL axial play.

I typically find that its really in the 0.0007" to 0.001" MAXIMUM. Depending on how good of an indicator or bracket you have the movement is negligible and you actually have "some" preload. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

of course no one considers that the mechanic is usually working on a car that has been sitting, and is cool. Out on the road the brakes are going to heat up the hub more than the spindle. Its mass is greater also since any heat in it is going to conduct to the rest of the spindle. Since it is pinned between two bearings when it heats up, it will likely expand, using up that play. In 750,000 miles on my 1971 following the factory setting, I never once had a bearing go bad and when I would replace them every 200,000 miles or so it was because of best practices and not because one was coloring.

on the race car we would tighten the bearings down until they were snug and drag was felt while spinning the wheel, then loosen until the washer could be pushed with a screw driver tip without much force. Never had one fail that way either.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
of course no one considers that the mechanic is usually working on a car that has been sitting, and is cool. Out on the road the brakes are going to heat up the hub more than the spindle. Its mass is greater also since any heat in it is going to conduct to the rest of the spindle. Since it is pinned between two bearings when it heats up, it will likely expand, using up that play. In 750,000 miles on my 1971 following the factory setting, I never once had a bearing go bad and when I would replace them every 200,000 miles or so it was because of best practices and not because one was coloring.

on the race car we would tighten the bearings down until they were snug and drag was felt while spinning the wheel, then loosen until the washer could be pushed with a screw driver tip without much force. Never had one fail that way either.

Yes....the race car method is actually the best one I have seen and what I was taught and it has never failed me.

What I was getting at is that doing it the way you mention....and I agree with....will actually give you about 0.001" of axial play when measured by the Bentley method.

Over the years I have had more than few bearings die, but not from the tightening method. The late 90's and early 2000's...for a while it was hard to get good bearings in some places. That was the point that Chinese and Indian bearings were making huge inroads into the world FLAPS market. You pretty much had to go to a bearing shop to get anything better than BOC brand or some odd no name.

I had a few of those go out. Living in damn hot climates with crappy roads I also got really picky on grease (Mystik JT-6 is bad ass grease) and between only buying high quality bearings and grease I never had issues again. Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

I can feel that extra 240 microns of steering slip every time I pull into the grocery store to get tampons. I better get the tools out this weekend
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: