Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Why are SoCal Volkswagen car shows a “publicly” contest. I went to a show this weekend where half the cars that place were not a show quality cars. I mean that Concord deEligance level cars were snub for the voters friend or a club member car. Cars that placed had paint chips, bad chrome, bad interior package and a bad engine compartment. Really…poor quality cars!
Is very sad that the SoCal VW community excepts and supports this type of voting behavior!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

99.99% are run by local clubs where members judge the cars.

Sounds like your taking these shows too seriously.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Quote:
Concord deEligance

Concours d'Elegance

Do you mean the So Cal Treffen?

I believe this is a somewhat informal event and not an actual "Concours" event so you may want to contact the organizers to ask them their judging methods or if they had organized judging with scorecards, etc. - If you had a problem with judging.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

I can't speak on this particular show but I can tell you as someone who runs a show, without a club, just myself and a few friends, I'm often accused of rigging trophies, rigging raffles etc because someone thought they should have won.
I've even been accused of giving trophies to people "in my club" which I don't even have, when awards went to people from other states even.
So excuse me if I take this with a huge grain of salt.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Went to a recent big show here on the east coast and every award was preceded with the words " I've know this guy for20 whatever years" said by the presenter.
I left after the 5th one. No big deal

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
Went to a recent big show here on the east coast and every award was preceded with the words " I've know this guy for20 whatever years" said by the presenter.
I left after the 5th one. No big deal

Well, to be fair, that’s true if you’re involved in the scene for a long
Time. At the show I run, many of the regular participants I’ve known for years, some of them 20 years. This isn’t just local people. There’s folks who live hundreds of miles away I’ve known since I was 16 and I’m 38 now. Just for sure I’ve been going to shows for that long. It doesn’t have an effect on who wins though.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

For the past 25 years, I’ve run a VW show in Boston, MA called Transporterfest. Here’s what I find works well to keep the judging fair:

We give people’s choice ballots to every show car driver at registration. No ballots for spectators or vendors. We try to ‘x-out’ the class that your vehicle is in, so you only vote for other classes. Occasionally someone will vote for their own car Rolling Eyes , but not very often. That vote is disregarded.

You must turn in your ballot to get your dash plaque. This insures that we get a high percentage of ballots back.

It takes a couple hours to go through the ballots and find the winners. I only do 7-8 classes though, more classes would complicate the process.

Year after year, I find that the best cars at the show, get the awards. Even if you arrive late, or have a ‘working’ double cab, the other car owners will vote for what they like that day.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Some people take shows too seriously.

At the 2008 Charlotte Transporter show I won Best Bay Passenger since there were no Bay Passenger buses entered. I rode down with Rob (aka Mr. Breeze), hence I was the passenger in a Bay Window Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Either you're upset you didn't win, or you're taking the shows too seriously.

Who cares about the trophy? Most of them will get tossed in the trash anyway.

Often times, the cars are judged by common folks, regular people like you and I. They won't know the ins and outs, and nuanced details of every model.

At my show, I just reach out to the "leaders" of the local clubs in the region. I provide an award and assign each area club a class. They pick their favorite car. Easy.

I appreciate your efforts for an "honest" judge, but the measure of many of these show cars - the rubric if you will - is too flexible. We're not dealing with concourse cars here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Anyone who takes their time to organize a show for the VW community in 2023 deserves a massive round of applause. I just attend the shows but I am old enough to see the effort that’s put into coordinating them. There are clearly a lot of volunteers to make these events happen and the fact that not everybody is willing to do it shows that it’s not a retirement fund maker.

Good on those that do this stuff.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

So, What your question is : Honest "Judged" Volkswagen Car Shows?

Ballots, Classes, 1-3 place, Awards, etc., ... most Shows today don't have volunteers to judge or maintain the voting count, seems to be people's choice awards and usually have the "Best of Class" only. Makes it so simple.
Usually the Car Show posts on their Flyer, Club Website or Facebook Page what the Car Show details are, Judged, Classes, Awards, etc.

These days I'm just happy to see any VW gatherings, events, swaps ... There always a good time!

People's Choice Awards are Fun, to promote your vehicle, have some unique trinket to hand out that everyone has to have, especially if it has something to do with the Event ! ... Speak Volkswagen !
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
For the past 25 years, I’ve run a VW show in Boston, MA called Transporterfest. Here’s what I find works well to keep the judging fair:

We give people’s choice ballots to every show car driver at registration. No ballots for spectators or vendors. We try to ‘x-out’ the class that your vehicle is in, so you only vote for other classes. Occasionally someone will vote for their own car Rolling Eyes , but not very often. That vote is disregarded.

You must turn in your ballot to get your dash plaque. This insures that we get a high percentage of ballots back.

It takes a couple hours to go through the ballots and find the winners. I only do 7-8 classes though, more classes would complicate the process.

Year after year, I find that the best cars at the show, get the awards. Even if you arrive late, or have a ‘working’ double cab, the other car owners will vote for what they like that day.
Love the way you do this Stan. And to the author... X whatever, you are taking these shows WAY to seriously! As an example when I have a chance to vote, I will say 80 percent of the time rather vote for a really decent car that is obviously driven regularly over one that for sure spends very little time actually on the streets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

We have put on the VW Harvest show in Leander, Texas every 3rd Weekend in October since 2010.

We give every registered VW(which is free, we do not charge to come to the Harvest) a ballot. On the ballot is a spot for top 3 picks at the show.
So we get quite a stack back but key in the votes rather quickly and the results are the results.

The folks at the show pick the Top 10. It has worked for us, keep it simple.
The Harvest is more of a gathering than prizes for best 63-67 'vert, or dune buggy, for example. Just wanted to share how we do it.

There is certainly room for all types of shows in our VW Community.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

I’ve seen a few “Trophy Whores” come Unhinged when they didn’t get the trophy they thought they deserved, and made complete whiney, little asses of themselves in the process.
I always thought there should be some sort of Whiner Award for these people.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

With so much to say here, my 2 pennies... Think

"Honest": I've helped put on quite a few shows and had been asked to judge too. For me it sucks to do either insofar as it is a thankless job and you get complained about for both. When judging, I don't care how "top notch" you car is, if you set it up with numerous plaques and trophies, I'll pass on it for another one that presents the car as it is by itself. As far as "complaining", I myself was not in agreement in receiving an award at the VW Classic for my Dormy when I knew there was a much nicer one in the show! But accepted it anyway. Neutral

We all put in some serious and expensive work on our rides and while it is super cool to get the recognition in an award form, I enjoy the personal comments when talking with people while in the show. Cool

Now for those who get upset about any of it, they have 2 problems. Getting upset and getting over it! Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
I’ve seen a few “Trophy Whores” come Unhinged when they didn’t get the trophy they thought they deserved, and made complete whiney, little asses of themselves in the process.
I always thought there should be some sort of Whiner Award for these people.

Plenty of used ones for sale on ebay.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=vintage+car+trophies&Brand=&_dcat=418

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

It’s the variety and diversity of folks that own vintage VWs and who bring them to shows that makes our life choice a good one. From the folks that refuse to pony up the admission fee and leave their cars in the general population parking areas outside of the shows to the owners that have taken their cars to the next level and beyond and can be seen with mirrors under their cars and chrome polish and a buffer rag making those last minute spit and shines. All get two thumbs up from me.

The trophies are generally issued at the end of the show and those that hang around no doubt do so to spice up their weekend.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

gondiwindi wrote:
The trophies are generally issued at the end of the show and those that hang around no doubt do so to spice up their weekend.

Or looking for bargains in the swap area. Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

I love all car shows, and every car that attends whether they be beater daily drivers or concourse show cars. I enjoy them all.

I attended a rather large car show in Yuma last weekend, called "Midnight at the Oasis". There were all imaginable kinds of cars being shown, including a number of VWs. Condition ranged from pristine to daily driver wreck. I chatted with a lot of the folks about their cars. Most classic car enthusiasts are pretty much the same, regardless of the type of car they own, and love to talk about cars in general. Coming together with like-minded folks that share the same interests as I do is one of the big reasons I attend these shows.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any honest Volkswagen car shows! Reply with quote

Car shows are supposed to be fun I thought. I’ve never given 2 shits about a trophy, lucky to win a third place😂 I’ve judged but the most ridiculous example of trophy whore crybaby was a couple sore losers that went and bought a brand new VW. They drove to the show entered in class and didn’t win either. Boo hoo.
I’ve got most respect for daily drivers with stone chips and wear, maybe leaking a drop of oil. Maybe low mile one one owner, provenance means more than concurs in my world. I belonged to the Lincoln Continental Owners club for a few years and that was too much for me. They checked date codes and grease paint factory marks. Really uptight guys the shows were more like business meetings.

They started doing a show here about 5 years ago and it’s growing because it’s family oriented they have live music, camping, swaps, food and they let any and all cars into the show.

Two weeks ago I attended 50th annual Starbirds Custom Rod and Car show that draws people in from all over the world 28 bucks to get in keeps some of the riff raff out, except me🤣.

They had some of the best show cars I’ve seen. One in particular was built in 1960 has been in numerous magazines since then. Then it dawned on me this thing has been in museums and touring since early 60s millions have seen it. But to me it’s worthless. You couldn’t take and beat the shit out of it like I do my car. Then again there’s a seat made for every ass so it’s cool.😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: