Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More than a bit confused on new engine wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

Sorry, I have spent the past days looking, reviewing, following posts, as well as both '56 and 66 wiring diagrams and have run into a mental block. I recently replaced the mess of wiring with a new loom in my '56 - (converted to 12V by PO. - it has a volt reg. as well as a 12V starter) and am trying to figure out the existing mess). The existing wiring starter / starter relay hasnt been touched, nor has the wiring from vr to gen.

So, my questions-
1. 12v starter w/ a starter relay? Is this something I should keep/ it needed?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. I will be replacing that V/R with a Bosch, not sure even the make on existing -Proabably from Autozone. The gen. is 14V30A20 and I believe 113903031G

3. Should there not be 2 red thick wires to V/R [(a)- from ignition switch #30 & (b)- to starter #30]? I'm looking at the 56' and 66 wiring to understand. Or as it's a '56 wire loom wires run from ignition to starter to vr?

4. Isn't there to be a ground wire from V/R to top of Gen @ back?

Any help I would appreciate.[/img]
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

I always eliminate starter relays, they are compensating for some other problem that exists
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
I always eliminate starter relays, they are compensating for some other problem that exists

That was my original my thought as well (eliminate it). I'm wondering if I shouldn't just replace that starter, while I'm at it? It did run, drive (300+ miles) when I purchased several years ago.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
So, my questions-

2. I will be replacing that V/R with a Bosch, not sure even the make on existing -Proabably from Autozone. The gen. is 14V30A20 and I believe 113903031G

3. Should there not be 2 red thick wires to V/R [(a)- from ignition switch #30 & (b)- to starter #30]? I'm looking at the 56' and 66 wiring to understand. Or as it's a '56 wire loom wires run from ignition to starter to vr?

Any help I would appreciate.

Good morning!

I am off to work in a few minutes. So here you go, quickly!

1.) Maybe. Depends on how much voltage the ignition switch is dropping or the wiring is dropping. If it was me, I would get rid of it. You can always introduce a smaller version of that Ford starter relay.

2.) Good! 61 circuit is the idiot light. I would run a ground wire for the sake of letting the VR know the true voltage drop in the system.

3.) Nope just one fat red wire for circuit 30 (which is always solid red. It is battery positive voltage). The starter key switch is 50 (red with black tracer)
Runs from the battery to the starter positive post to the Ignition switch 30 terminal.

4.) Not on the older cars. That was a later thing.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
mynameismud wrote:
So, my questions-

Any help I would appreciate.

Good morning! Awesome..Thanks Jimbo!

I am off to work in a few minutes. So here you go, quickly!

1.) Maybe. Depends on how much voltage the ignition switch is dropping or the wiring is dropping. If it was me, I would get rid of it. You can always introduce a smaller version of that Ford starter relay. Thanks. I have replaced the mess of PO wiring with complete '56 harness as well as the ignition so, am hoping whatever issues may have been existing are eliminated.

2.) Good! 61 circuit is the idiot light. I would run a ground wire for the sake of letting the VR know the true voltage drop in the system. Is there a specific ground location recommended (firewall?)

3.) Nope just one fat red wire for circuit 30 (which is always solid red. It is battery positive voltage). The starter key switch is 50 (red with black tracer)
Runs from the battery to the starter positive post to the Ignition switch 30 terminal. Check!

4.) Not on the older cars. That was a later thing. Thanks!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

My pleasure!

After you get the car started, run a voltage drop check between the battery negative post and the generator body and VR stand. If you have more than .25vdc drop, install a ground wire. If you have less, let it run!

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: More than a bit confused on new engine wiring Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
My pleasure!

After you get the car started, run a voltage drop check between the battery negative post and the generator body and VR stand. If you have more than .25vdc drop, install a ground wire. If you have less, let it run!

Good luck!

Thumbs Up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: