Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting over old single stage
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

Hello everyone, i am working on a 1958 bug that i purchased and i just completed the pan and motor. Now i can focus on the body. It was painted by the PO many
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

years ago and has some bubbling and dings and scratches. It is single stage two tone black and ivory. I would like to respray the whole thing black with single stage. My question is can i just sand lightly and respray? What grit sandpaper do you suggest?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: painting over old single stage Reply with quote

Wipe it with thinner and see. If it wipes off no, if it doesn't maybe. You're taking a chance, and I would definitely seal it first. Don't use an expensive paint on it just in case it starts popping in a couple years.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: painting over old single stage Reply with quote

In my experience, I foolishly trusted in the bodywork done by PO of my bug. After finishing other areas of bodywork,I gave it a simple one-stage paint of Hot Rod Flatz ( which I highly recommend). The problems popped up after 3-4 years, with paint bubbling in patches only where he used improperly applied primer.
I second the use of an all over seal coat, after a thorough sanding and even go to metal or at least og paint where you see/suspect ugly underneath. What kind or kinds of paint is on it now? Who knows! You can shoot it Flatz for cheap (TCP Global) if you want a matte finish that is
Caveat..... I believe in painting almost all classic cars in one stage and being able to use and drive the car Anywhere and not worry....... because I did not spend $5k on paint! Have fun.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: painting over old single stage Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
Hello everyone, i am working on a 1958 bug that i purchased and i just completed the pan and motor. Now i can focus on the body. It was painted by the PO many

years ago and has some bubbling and dings and scratches. It is single stage two tone black and ivory. I would like to respray the whole thing black with single stage. My question is can i just sand lightly and respray? What grit sandpaper do you suggest?

You might be able to get away with some minor repairs on the old paint and get away with a respray, BUT, from the sound of it (bubbles) I think you have some poor prep work from the PO that will come back to haunt you.

Take those spots down to see why it bubbled. Poor rust repair or poor bonding. Like others mentioned after you are satisfied with your prep work start with a good base of Sealer. You can go with a primer sealer if you like. Then go with your single stage.

Going with single stage use 320 or 400 grit before paint. I like 400 myself but you want some tooth. Ask your paint supplier about their surface prep recommendation.They may say 320.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: painting over old single stage Reply with quote

I am curious as to what sealer you all use, since there will be a combination of bare metal, patched areas and OG paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

Busman78, I was hoping some of the folks who are up to date regarding products would give you some info. I’ve been satisfied with PPG products, but there are so many more that I just don’t have experience with. I’ve only recently updated some equipment.

What I suggest is using a primer on bare spots and any body work with fillers, then use a sealer. I’ve only recently used base/clear. We can’t get imron anymore but single stage with a hardener is always nice. It is a little more difficult for a beginner due to runs. Base/clear is a user friendly product.

Lay on the sealer, let it flash off and follow with base, flash off then do the same with clear.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

I should mention that I did use the PPG sealer recently on my RV and it laid out beautifully. No repairs required. Flashed off and finished with base/clear.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

In a situation like this, I would use an epoxy. Something like RM EP569. Glasurit 801-72/74, or an epoxy your local jobber has. It'll have superior corrosion resistance over bare steel and will help lock in the layers.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

Guys when I say bubbling I mean only a few small bubbles. I planned on fixing the problem areas first. After I fix those areas , do I prime those areas and than seal the whole car?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

You are going to repaint the whole car, correct? The point is, whatever is between the metal and the finish coat decides the adhesion. When you prime over the bare metal repaired areas you are relying on the primer bond on that spot, same as the adhesion of any pre-existing paint layers. Now you coat that with a bonding sealer and then your finish color. Now everything still depends on the bond Underneath! the seal coat. You are not likely to have any future trouble with the final paint, just the underlying conditions. So be certain to utilize good primer, cut with the right sandpaper grade, and wipe it down perfectly prior to spraying.
Do some research on what's available to you in paint brands/types.There is a huge range in price and quality.You can do it and get results you will enjoy!
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting over old single stage Reply with quote

Can you post a photo or two of the bubbles you are planning on fixing?
Epoxy may form a good buffer between the old paint, and your new.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: painting over old single stage Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
I am curious as to what sealer you all use, since there will be a combination of bare metal, patched areas and OG paint.
The best I've used so far in my limited experience is actually Tamco 5310 series primer. The results I was able to get with a quick garage paint job still amaze me. It's a high build primer that cam be thinned to use as a sealer, which is what I did
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: