Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whakg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

I turn my motor but none of my rocker arm move can any one please tell me why?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Are the push rods installed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Or your cam is flat or broken.
Or your cam gear is broken.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whakg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Yes push rods are install all i the motor was running i pulled it out of my car to put in a sand rail . all i did was removed the oil pump because it was a auto stick put fly wheel and clutch bolted the motor on i try to start it thats when i notice none of my rocker arms are moving when i turn the motor over
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Broken cam gear from incorrect oil pump.
whakg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Ok thank you
So what can i do if this motor was out of a auto stick car. Do i just change the cam and gear
I already changed put flywheel and clutch set up i put another intake and carbs 009 distributor anything else i have to change?
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

whakg1 wrote:
Ok thank you
So what can i do if this motor was out of a auto stick car. Do i just change the cam and gear
I already changed put flywheel and clutch set up i put another intake and carbs 009 distributor anything else i have to change?

If the cam is broke, your going to have to tear it down and split the case.

you can assess the rest of the engines needs at that point
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

I doubt what you have already done would break a cam gear. If it was the wrong oil pump it either wouldn't seat or wouldn't contact the cam at all.
Pull the pump out. Look at the cam through the hole. Turn the engine by the pully bolt and see if the cam turns. Go all the way around a full revolution. If there is a chunk of teeth missing the cam will stop turning. No turning cam = no rocker movement.

If the cam turns all the way around but the rockers still don't rock, pull and inspect the rocker shafts and the push rods. It seems like you would hear something if pushrods are bent or broken but reality is strange.

If everything looks good, but you're not getting love it's time to open the engine and see WTF. Maybe the brass gear on the crankshaft is toast or as I said before the cam lobes are worn flat.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

The brass gear doesn't drive the cam, it drives the distributor and fuel pump.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Oops. Sorry. Wrong Gear.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

I figured I would ask this here instead of starting a new thread:

I was messing around with a September/55 36hp beetle engine that would not rotate, but had just a slight movement. Soaked it with 50/50 kerosene and ATF and managed to get it to spin over fine with not too much effort. Pistons were just a little stuck from sitting. I rocked it back and forth until I could spin it by hand with the flywheel. Definitely didn't force anything.

Anyway, I had the rocker covers off and was watching the rockers move when I was rotating the engine, and I noticed that some were not moving. One cylinder
neither intake/exhaust would move, and one cylinder the intake is not moving. Other two cylinders move fine. All the valves that did not move were partially open, and backing out the adjustment screws allows the valves to close. A couple actually bottomed out on the rocker arm so they still may be partially open.

What are the reasons why they would not be moving? Bent push rods?

Lots of end play, and you can see most of the valves move side/side with a screwdriver, so I know this engine will need to be rebuilt; just wanted an idea what could be wrong before storing it away for later.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Stocknazi on Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

With lots of endplay, it needs a rebuild anyway.
Pull it apart and let us know what you find.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
With lots of endplay, it needs a rebuild anyway.
Pull it apart and let us know what you find.
I'm not pulling it apart right now, just wanted to know what all could cause them not to be moving. The only guess I have is bent push rods.

Can't be too many other things could it?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

If the cam is broken in half and only the front half is turning... not that likely though.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Rockers could be simply seized on the shafts. It’s all academic , as you will find a bunch of other bad boys partying in that engine , too.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Or they are stuck open and so you won't see movement. Pushrods would probably fall out of the rocker tips, though.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help i turn my motor over but rocker arms wont move can any Reply with quote

Me: "Hey, Doc! Hey, Doc! It hurts when I bend my arm like this!"

Doc: "Don't bend your arm like that!"

Rusty stuck motor: It was rusty, stuck. Even if you get it to turn over the rings are stuck in their grooves, the cylinders and combustion chambers are cruddy, and hey, bonus! The rusty valve stems are stuck in their guides.

Doesn't matter that it turns over. That only makes it easier to get apart. it won't be right until all the rusty parts are rebuilt.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: