Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2005 MK4 Golf TDI/5 speed shifter adjustment issues
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: 2005 MK4 Golf TDI/5 speed shifter adjustment issues Reply with quote

I have a 2005 MK4 body TDI/5 speed Golf.

My shifter was horrible and it eventually stopped getting 5th gear, it shifted hard the whole nine yards..

I rebuilt everything, I replaced both the shifter & the shifter cup with new units, I replaced the bushings in the shifter for the linkages and even replaced the cable ends on the transmission..

It shifts like a new car now but I still can not get 5th gear. I've watched every video I can find on youtube specifically the diesel geek vids and have adjusted it numerous times but I have to be doing something wrong..

One issue is the locking pin on the transmission seems to be broken. It will push in slightly but will not turn straight up so it doesn't fully lock in place. Because of this I have to do my cable adjustment the other way where you put in the 1/2 socket adjust the side to side then put in neutral to do the up & down.

No matter what I do I never get 5th gear.. In the past, it would occasionally go into 5th if you tried many times and squint your eyes just right..

Also when I 1st got the car it did go into 5th fine but at some point it simply stopped..

Anyway, Reverse shifts perfect. 1st & 2nd flawless. 3rd is sometimes off but mostly good. 4th perfect.. 5th nothing..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: