Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opening hood on dune buggy????
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening hood on dune buggy???? Reply with quote

All good points being raised....
My idea is to place the hinges at the front lower part of the hood so I can open the hood at the windshield and it tips forward. That way if anything, the wind will help hold it down.....
I really don't know if the hood is a structural element or not, but I will find out when I get the hood off. If I need to reinforce that area, I can do that.... Hope1fully, I won't need to.

Take a look at the way the hood opens on a Slingshot. Right now I think I will only have to fabricate a mount for the front hinges. But, again I'll see when the hood comes off. If it isn't possible to do this, nothing lost except my time.

In fact, it might be a good thing...I can check the condition of the gas tank, the wiring under the hood, steering column etc.... That can't hurt!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Opening hood on dune buggy???? Reply with quote

Oh nearly anything it possible but some things are not too practical. The main reason I want to open my hood is to gain access to the dash and the wiring. The hood and dash are one piece and the lower dash supports the steering column. I have done very little to sort out the rat's nest under there because my body does not appreciate turning "inverted pretzel" like it used to in my youth.

So the way this car was built I need to at some point divorce the dash and hood so that the dash can stay in place while the hood can be opened. In the end it must be all structurally sound and as slalombuggy says, not blow off in the wind. I don't drive 100 mph but when I meet the big trucks I am glad for a seat belt, it feels at times like I might get sucked out of the car!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Opening hood on dune buggy???? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Oh nearly anything it possible but some things are not too practical. The main reason I want to open my hood is to gain access to the dash and the wiring. The hood and dash are one piece and the lower dash supports the steering column. I have done very little to sort out the rat's nest under there because my body does not appreciate turning "inverted pretzel" like it used to in my youth.

So the way this car was built I need to at some point divorce the dash and hood so that the dash can stay in place while the hood can be opened. In the end it must be all structurally sound and as slalombuggy says, not blow off in the wind. I don't drive 100 mph but when I meet the big trucks I am glad for a seat belt, it feels at times like I might get sucked out of the car!

Another possibility, for wiring access (and wipers if you have them) would be to separate the dash and hood and make the dash, or part of the dash, opening. It will not get you good access to the gas tank, at least not enough to remove it, but wiring could become a breeze.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Opening hood on dune buggy???? Reply with quote

I hadn't thought about just cutting the dash loose and making it removable. Thanks! Worth considering for sure.
ppilotmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening hood on dune buggy???? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
a
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
when I get home from Az I intend to this with mine. It will involve me separating the dash from the hood and adding a flange to the hood.
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening hood on dune buggy???? Reply with quote

ppilotmike wrote:
when I get home from Az I intend to this with mine. It will involve me separating the dash from the hood and adding a flange to the hood.

I can't wait to see how you do it. I'm excited to start on mine but I can't do it till May or June....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: