Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

So, I started on this in July 2023 till Jan 2024, 7 months, and this is where I'm at now. I need to paint the inner part of the body, attach the body, make a new dash, run wires, lights, seats, seat belts, steering, front bumper, wheel alignment probably put a muffler on it, get it registered etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

I followed all your posts as they were updated today.

That is a huge amount of work completed in a very short time frame. Well done sir!

I noticed the cargo trailer in a few photo's. Are you a weld radiograph inspector?
Not many trailers sport those radioactive warning decals.

Also noticed the orange minibike in the background of some of the pics. It looks like a Taco 22 minibike.

I look forward to more updates as time passes by.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Damn, very cool build (and resurrection). I would've never spotted it had I not noticed your recent pic uploads on the home page. I will be following now! Thumbs Up
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Lol....the stickers on the trailer are to keep meth heads out of my trailer. It was either this or medical waste.... I did have a small company that worked out at the local AFB (GoodFellow) maintaining family housing units, but I'm retired now. Left over trailer, I use every now and then. I have 3 old mini bikes. A original Sears Drover, a K&S Manufacturing Hornet and a MTD.

Thanks for the encouragement fellers, I want to be done with this buggy by March so I can rip around when the weather turns warm.....It's cold as shit down here now. Partly why I dumped the pics today. To cold to work.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Lol....the stickers on the trailer are to keep meth heads out of my trailer. It was either this or medical waste.... I did have a small company that worked out at the local AFB (GoodFellow) maintaining family housing units, but I'm retired now. Left over trailer, I use every now and then. I have 3 old mini bikes. A original Sears Drover, a K&S Manufacturing Hornet and a MTD.

Thanks for the encouragement fellers, I want to be done with this buggy by March so I can rip around when the weather turns warm.....It's cold as shit down here now. Partly why I dumped the pics today. To cold to work.

Creative idea for the trailer security.
Medical waste likely wouldn't keep the meth heads away. I came home from work a few years back and found three bags of medical waste spread about along my garage. Turns out the waste was from the Eye clinic a few blocks away.
The dickheads were looking for syringes in the waste bags. Gross!

The reason I was able to follow your updates today is, we have been snowed in and last night, we had an ice storm to cover all the lovely snow. There was no chance I was gonna drive on icy roads today. Shame on you

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Wow!! Fantastic work - bravo! Very Happy
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

I really enjoy the details of your chassis and metal fabrication. The emergency brake system is awesome.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Thanks !!!!!

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

So many cool ideas. A lot of them along the lines I was drqwing up for my bounty Hunter chassis I'm going ot use a Type 3 rear end in mine.

How much higher is the rear torsion housing than the rear tube on the floor frame?

Nice build!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Thanks Slalom.......I'll do some measure that difference and post it

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:

Great thread. The rollcage turned out great and well integrated.

I restored a Sears Drover 6 or 7 years ago. Since sold. Also have a Ruttman and a Heald Trail Bronc.

The Drover(since sold)
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?media/september172016_003a.133354/

Looking forward to further updates.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The emergency brake system is awesome.
I'm gonna steal summa this technology myself Dancing
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

How much higher is the rear torsion housing than the rear tube on the floor frame?

Center of the torsion housing to center of square tube is 3 1/4 inches or about 83mm.....

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Few more pics....I initially wasn't going to install any gauges, just warning lights and a rev limiter in the distributor. But, I found this little cool, looking 270 degree sweep oil filled pressure gauge for $10.....couldn't pass it up. I plumbed it with 1/4 air brake line. Mounted it on the fire extinguisher bracket.

I also used the 1/4 air brake (like big trucks use) to make a cable housing for my accel cable. Secured it with little Adel clamps I got from Amazon.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Blew up my Harbor Freight port-a-band....In it's defense, I has cut a shit ton of material. Just blows through metal. I had to run and get another one, on sale, of course. This is my favorite tool right now..........not the broken one, the new one.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Started bumping out the dash since I had moved the seats and shifter back so far, and also moved the steering wheel around to make more sense. Every one of these buggies I've ever driven, the steering has always acted like it was a going to fall apart at any moment, I'm determined to get this one tight. I'm putting in a quick release on the steering wheel hub to make sliding my ass in and out a little more convenient. I'll clad the dashboard framing with aluminum and start in on the wiring, which is one of my favorite things to do. I'll cut away the holy, original dash in due time. I'll have the fuse box and most of the wiring behind the face plate of the dash, which will be held on with a few Dzus fasteners.

I scored some vintage, original 1960 model license plates, which is the same as the title and chassis year model I intend to register this thing with. They are even a little rusty.

Looks like I need to work on that rag joint. Drat.

Room for yore ass, and 5 gallons of gas.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

I noticed the original battery hold down piece had a bow in it, so I put a spar down the middle.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Get some really battery cables, those clamps attract corrosion like flies to cow poop.....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Just lube them up well including the bare cable ends, cable clamps and bolts as well as the bolts that go into the battery and the battery contact surface - everything. I have used gun grease, copper coat anti seize even Vaseline works very well. Leave them dry like that and it will all be a fuzzy green mess in 6 months!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: