Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not Dead Yet
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Dead Forever

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dead--company-dead-forever--live-at-sphere-302050609.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thursday, May 16; Friday, May 17; Saturday, May 18
Friday, May 24; Saturday, May 25; Sunday, May 26
Thursday, May 30; Friday, May 31; Saturday, June 1
Thursday, June 6; Friday, June 7; Saturday, June 8
Thursday, June 13; Friday, June 14; Saturday, June 15
Thursday, June 20; Friday, June 21; Saturday, June 22

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

buddy of mines company does their sound. he basically has a dream job. he sends me videos from work where he's in the booth operating a water pipe and sound board and dead and co are gleefully jamming. super cool!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
water pipe

Do you mean bong?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

i do most assuredly! huge dead head here. technical term Very Happy
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

last week they were testing speakers that did NOT blow up video monitors. apparently some show they lost the video feed from too much wall of sound.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

https://reverb.com/item/47648315-grateful-dead-mci...s2ghCRsqwk

OG

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

he'll be all over this. they have the deads road cases ...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
https://reverb.com/item/47648315-grateful-dead-mci...s2ghCRsqwk

OG

Maybe you made it to

The Great South Bay suckfest on Long Island pre- Covid. We went there to see what turned out to be the sad decline of Dickie Betts. I believe it was Dickie's next to last show. He played at Peach Blossom in Scranton a few weeks later. Jorma played. Devon Allman and Duane Betts played.

Not the point.

Prior to the unintelligible house sound at this years Crossroads, Great South Bay was the worst "house" sound ever. Crappy sound. Crappy, horrible sound.

Must be the old hippies are too deaf and too stoned to notice. Rolling Eyes

Don't get me started on the bong behind the board. Legal weed or not, that is so unprofessional. Rolling Eyes

It's our job to make the show as good as it can be.

Anyway, there have been numerous advances in stagecraft and sound reinforcement in the latter part of the 20th century and beyond. Dramatic advances. One major advance is Class D "digital" amplification notably those "little" QSC self- powered wedges that get flown as the satellite mains at your typical show. Those little boogers are

2000 watts, each.

Simply count 'em next show. Say there are a dozen of 'em hung on each side of the stage. That's 24,000 watts on each side of the stage or close to 50kw mostly pushing the vocals. It's generally mono not stereo. Stereo creates al sorts of phase cancellation problems in a big rig.

Simply double what goes to the satellites to figure out how much you want for the subs. Easy math. If you have 50kw on the satellites you want 100kw on the subs.

What made the Great South Bay suckfest a suckfest is the promoters ran two stages simultaneously, one high powered P.A. system facing another high powered P.A. system a hundred yards away. The VIP tent was in between with a row of crappers behind it. I guess it was the VIP tent because you heard two acts at once full blast.

Still not entirely the point. I'm gettin' to it.

Classic Crown DC300s cost chump change compared to anything McIntosh. They're lighter and the do the same job. We installed them as monitor amps in numerous studios back in the day. Why overpay?

Still not entirely the point.

The sound contractor at the South Bay suckfest used their main rig for the main stage. No surprise there. The surprise might be even though the deaf old hippies were spread out on blankets right up to the stage instant noise fatigue wasn't an issue.

Know what I'm talkin' about? I'm talkin' about that blasted feeling you get in your ears after a big show. Takes about a day, day and a half to shake it off. Eventually you don't shake it off.

Here is the point.

I stood in front of the auxiliary stage. The sound contractor set up their "B" system, an old school horn loaded analog rig. Instant freakin' noise fatigue! As in one tune made my ears ring.

Here's why:

An old school analog P.A. system uses compression drivers for the top end. They're just sophisticated versions of the county fair P.A. "horns" that have been in use practically forever. They used old school compression drivers because they're very efficient. You needed that when The Beatles played Shea with a couple hundred watts max on the mains.

In other words it's dramatically easier to drive high frequencies than it is to drive low frequencies. Every slightly competent autosound installer knows that.

The downside of a horn loaded system is its very loud high frequencies. Want to piss off every German shepherd for a mile in every direction? 75 watts each side though the horns will do it.

The advantage of the current issue QSC or similar self powered "bins" is their cone type drivers. They don't use metal dust covers like Jerry's JBLs.

The manufacturer of Jerry's Hard Truckers cabinets no longer uses JBLs. They're loaded with hemp cone speakers with paper dust covers.

Time moves on. The new stuff is lighter, less expensive, more efficient and guess what? It works better. It works better in every way.

Last edited by Dusty1 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:27 am; edited 4 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

I was at CitiField.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

You made it to the Pink / Grouplove show? I'm jealous.

Hannah Hooper in her skeleton suit is "Dead" enough for me.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

I am soooooo glad they are still playing together, though technically not "touring."

They are so tight, improvisational, fun... everything we loved about them over the years decades! Years ago I was skeptical about John Mayer joining, but once they gelled, he fits so well. I regret all those years of NOT catching a show.

I caught the show in Los Angeles for the "final" tour, sure not to miss out that time.

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A GRATEFUL DEAD CONCERT.

Catch one on nugs.net:

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I was at CitiField.

You can’t smoke in Citifield, can you?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Correct... no one was smoking cigarettes Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Having caught over a 100 shows and touring East and West coast in 80's and early nineties , for me the magic just was never there after Jerry died. He had some unexplainable way to connect to the crowd . I never experienced that after in the various re-hash attempts and stopped going by about 2003. For many of us that were part of the first wave, it died. BTW I always saw the shows 100% sober as not to miss any of that connection.

I know its still a fun scene for many and maybe an ember of the experience is to be had. For that I am "grateful".
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Having caught over a 100 shows and touring East and West coast in 80's and early nineties , for me the magic just was never there after Jerry died. He had some unexplainable way to connect to the crowd . I never experienced that after in the various re-hash attempts and stopped going by about 2003. For many of us that were part of the first wave, it died. BTW I always saw the shows 100% sober as not to miss any of that connection.

I know its still a fun scene for many and maybe an ember of the experience is to be had. For that I am "grateful".

Well said. I feel much the same way. To me PLF had a connection going on, especially with the quintet. That being said, however the music reaches you and speaks to you is alright with me.👍
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

I'm a bit tossed, after seeing the Dead at the Fillmore East and the mud at the Englishtown shows, I sort of feel like a sellout going to the Sphere to see them.

But then the heavy water shows at the Fillmore East were just low tech versions of the light show at the Sphere.

Quote:
Out on the road today
I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac
A little voice inside my head said
“Don't look back, you can never look back”

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Thought you were talking about me Laughing

Still here but the wife slipped on the snow covered steps and shattered her left leg. Plates and rods and screw...OH MY! Rolling Eyes

We were hoping to get to Vegas to see U2 at the Sphere but all plans put on hold! Crying or Very sad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/gratefu...235599372/
Quote:
Grateful Dead breaks the record for most top 40-charting albums in the nearly 68-year history the Billboard 200. The group’s latest archival live release, Dave’s Picks, Volume 49: Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford U., Palo Alto, CA (4/27/85 & 4/28/85), debuts at No. 25 on the chart dated Feb. 10. It’s the 59th top 40-charting set for the band, surpassing the 58 top 40s earned by both Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

10-10-82 Frost, Stanford. Tie your shoes with double knots first.
I once got this show stuck in the cassette player on a run to CA from CO, so I listened to it non stop for four days and about 2400 miles. Would do it again.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Not Dead Yet Reply with quote

Who'dathunk?!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: