Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MIG Welding Overhead
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lintmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has welding sheet metal overhead with a MIG nailed down? I need to weld in a few patches and as luck would have it, I'll have to do it upside down. I'm pretty new with the MIG but have horizontal welding pretty much figured out with fairly flat welds and good penetration.

I have a Lincoln 140 and I'm using .023" wire and an argon CO2 mix. Any set-up procedures or tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

You have the right equipment so 'practice makes perfect'.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

ROTISSERIE!

That’s how I weld upside down!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

The technique is the exact same. The electrical current "carries" the metal across and then Capilary action keeps it in place.

The only dif w/overhead is that it rains on you. The angle of the gun, the direction of drag, or push, is the same.

Start and stop, wait till you can't see the red-glow in your hood, then touch the trigger again. Go slow.

Spot Weld (I don't think that is the correct word) it. Tack it every 2-3 inches, then come back and weld an inch from each tack, and jump to the next tack. Keep going until you are done. Even if you do the stop and start as the 1st line says, eventually you'll blow a hole as it will concentrate the heat. If you jump to the next one, it lets the heat dissipate at the 1st spot.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

Stinky123 wrote:
Spot Weld (I don't think that is the correct word) it.

Maybe you are thinking, Plug Weld.

Or Stitch Welding.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

Ah yes, I think that it is Stitch
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: MIG Welding Overhead Reply with quote

Fast, hot welds for overhead. You don’t want the metal to get heat soaked and then the weld will sag or drip out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: