Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccandmore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Here's a lot of good info on oil and current recommendations: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/OilSelection.html

There's also a sticky about oil but at 235 pages it's a bit unwieldy: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=4680

Valvoline VR1 20W-50 seems to consistently get positive feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

mccandmore wrote:
Here's a lot of good info on oil and current recommendations: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/OilSelection.html

There's also a sticky about oil but at 235 pages it's a bit unwieldy: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=4680

Thank you. From what I’ve gathered so fat synthetic oil is a go for all trannys but would be a waste for me in my engine considering it’s a stock engine and doesn’t have an oil filter. I will buy valvoline now tho. She’s dropping a bit and it’s pretty black, also I figure getting some of the basic maintenance jobs done now while I’m on spring break and acquiring some of the tools I’ll need wouldn’t be a bad idea.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
What about the clamps, sorry if I’m making u baby me through this. https://www.jbugs.com/product/MH36.html Would 4 of these suffice?

two options: 1) buy four 2” hose clamps at your local hardware store.

2) go whole hog and buy stainless steel aba hose clamps from steve at the ultimate garage.

https://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?cPath=309_31_346&products_id=1762

the first option will be just fine for these.

NOT for the new fuel hoses you’ll be installing soon.

we want to avoid that fire you were worrying about, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
mccandmore wrote:

Thank you. From what I’ve gathered so fat synthetic oil is a go for all trannys but would be a waste for me in my engine considering it’s a stock engine and doesn’t have an oil filter. I will buy valvoline now tho. She’s dropping a bit and it’s pretty black, also I figure getting some of the basic maintenance jobs done now while I’m on spring break and acquiring some of the tools I’ll need wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Yes, I used Swepco 201 synthetic 80W90 in the trans, at the recommendation of my trans rebuilder.

VR1, either 30 wt or 20W-50 is also what I am running, based on rebuilder recommendations.

Use the Muir "Phase I" toolkit as a guide to what you need, plus maybe a few Phase II tools depending on what work you plan to do.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Laird.Ostien wrote:
mccandmore wrote:

Yes, I used Swepco 201 synthetic 80W90 in the trans, at the recommendation of my trans rebuilder.

VR1, either 30 wt or 20W-50 is also what I am running, based on rebuilder recommendations.

Use the Muir "Phase I" toolkit as a guide to what you need, plus maybe a few Phase II tools depending on what work you plan to do.

That’s Exaclty what I was doing and was sitting down with my dad to see what we already had.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

hard to tell from the photo of your engine, but it appears there is a space between the engine tin and body.

i’m not sure if your style engine is supposed to have a seal in that space, but i expect it is. do some research, and find out.

if so, is the seal there, or is it missing?
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

I noticed some gunk and what seemed like oil in the engine bay, immediately caught my attention. I’ll upload a picture, any ideas on this or if it’s a big deal?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

The engine doesn't have a filter. All oil will look dark quickly; don't stress.

The oil on the right is likely from someone spilling during filling.

Left side could be a leaky pressure switch. (Deal with the blue wire that's about to get roasted on the metal pipe.) A closer picture will tell.

Your engine will leak less if you route the breather hose to the correct port on the air cleaner.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
jjvincent wrote:
dodger tom wrote:
laird’s gotta be cracking up with all these old guys riffing on interweb stuff he’s probably never heard of.

If we are talking about computers, then we are not old.

sorry, jj, if you’re talking about party lines, you’re old, certainly compared to laird.

did you watch first run black-and-white films at the movies?

insert smiley face here.

and, xevin, i ran my thesis data through the old ibm on punch cards. but, i typed it on a sperry word-processing program.

I might be old but I get trusted to work on these. I try to keep up with the newest trends. For example, the Audi still has a clutch in it to get it to move, but it's still paddleshift (uses an air compressor) and has a button on the center console for reverse. The Porsche has the easy to use PDK. At least the Porsche has HVAC and that's in it.

ce for racing.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
I noticed some gunk and what seemed like oil in the engine bay, immediately caught my attention. I’ll upload a picture, any ideas on this or if it’s a big deal?

Run it for even a few minutes without the heater hoses between the fan shroud and the heat exchangers, and oil residue will be the LEAST of your troubles!

Agreed; left side is probably oil pressure switch leaking, right side maybe from the breather area.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Robbie already covered most of the leak story, clean it up and then inspect afer the next few drives to pinpoint the source, it's hard to narrow down once it's spread and spattered everywhere like that. Put a bag over the distributor so you don't get it wet, and do the job away from where everyone walks or they'll track the smell into the house and make you extra popular!, it also kills grass so avoid the lawn.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Laird.Ostien wrote:

Run it for even a few minutes without the heater hoses between the fan shroud and the heat exchangers, and oil residue will be the LEAST of your troubles!

Agreed; left side is probably oil pressure switch leaking, right side maybe from the breather area.

The hose goes from the pipes in the ground to the pipe coming out of engine tin right? And the pipe coming out of the filter on the right.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Ignore most of the annotations, but this pic shows the large silver hose routing.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Ignore most of the annotations, but this pic shows the large silver hose routing.

Is it 3 separate hoses or does it go through all of them?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

The third hose that goes sideways to the aircleaner is for preheat, the two more vertical ones go to the cabin heat exchangers.

You don't have the "funny round thing" on your aircleaner, Phil's is from a 72+ Ghia.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Eriebugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

As others have said, looks like a good solid bus. Enjoy and learn along the way!

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. What's with all the hate about the painted V on the front. No, it's not factory and emulates split window buses but it looks pretty good to me. I've seen other attempts that are bad but the proportions look good. I only wish Volkswagen styling engineers would have carried over some semblance of the icon V on the bays. Wouldn't have taken much to incorporate it into the stamping. The flat nose on the bays isn't one of it's attributes. (Proud owner of a '74). The ones without at least a VW logo are just plain ugly. If you like it, keep it. If not, easy enough to paint over when the time comes.
1974 Super beetle(project)
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

immediate buying list,

2x- https://www.busdepot.com/028129087 (airhoses)
4x- https://www.jbugs.com/product/MH36.html (Clamps)
4x- https://www.busdepot.com/113119585b (gommets?)

tools and etc

this seem all good?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

SAFETY FIRST.
All gas hoses and soft brake lines.
Check tires (including dates codes on sidewall).
Flush brake fluid.

RELIABILITY NEXT.
Review underneath for leaks and loose nuts and wires, and any corroded rubber parts. Note and take pics of any rust you find.
Check/top up transaxle.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

This link may help:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110394
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
immediate buying list,

2x- https://www.busdepot.com/028129087 (airhoses)
4x- https://www.jbugs.com/product/MH36.html (Clamps)
4x- https://www.busdepot.com/113119585b (gommets?)

tools and etc

this seem all good?

You only need to of the grommets, the seal the hoses through the engine tin
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: