Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've recently inherited a beautiful 1956 Beetle from an Uncle who loved these cars to death, and knew I do as well. It was what made our bond so strong. Unfortunately he's passed, but I'd like to return the car to form and enjoy it as a weekend warrior, as he did.

I got it up on jacks this week to diagnose why there are almost no brakes, the pedal goes straight to the floor. The fronts have been converted to discs, it looks to be the EMPI kit with the 2.5" drop spindles. The rears are still drums, and the passenger side rear wheel as well as the drum and surrounding parts are definitely saturated with some type of liquid, I assume brake fluid. I assume it's a bad wheel cylinder, but I haven't pulled the drum off yet to confirm. Here is a picture for reference:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While jacking the car up in the rear, I also noticed some fluid drip down in "healthy" amounts from the passenger side axle shaft / boot? (I am not sure what this is called yet as I'm learning as I go, it looks like an axle shaft boot that goes into the trans. The fluid also smells like gear oil (I think, I used to have some old Jeeps... but it's been a very long time). Any hints as to what to do here or what that area is even called would be of great help! Here are a couple pictures of that leaky area, also the passenger rear.

Here's a picture of the old girl:

Thank you in advance for any guidance provided, I'm anxious and excited to get her back on the road safely, and not have to feel like Freddy Flintstone lol.

Nathan
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Pretty common for those axle boots to dry out over time and crack. Sometimes they last 8+ years and sometimes 2. Get some new split boots from Wolfsburg west, and some new wheel cylinders for the rear. You might replace the master as well, as it's a good chance those seals are bad too. Inspect the soft lines also, the one I can partially see doesn't look great..
Good luck with it, beautiful car!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Before you wade into taking brake hardlines off, start hitting the joints with pb blaster or Kroil couple days in advance. When you get to disassembly, slow loose/tighten may work better than muscle.
It's easy to twist the pipe and snap it.

That's a nice bit of inheritance. Hope it goes well!
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

What Seth (esde) said Thumbs Up

Would love to see/hear more about your 56.

Very cool Uncle I'm thinking.

Regards,

Mark.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Your transmission and rear brakes are later than '56. The transmission is '61 -'68. Not sure what year the brakes are but could be '58 - '67. It might take a little detective work to figure out what year so you can buy the correct wheel cylinders. Your door also is later or has had the door handles replaced. They could be '60 - '64.

It could be a later car with an oval window grafted in and an oval decklid. Pretty easy to tell based on the windshield size and shape and the dash. Might also be a '56 on a later pan. I would check that the VIN under the back seat matches the plate behind the spare tire and verify everything against the VIN lookup on The Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
It could be a later car with an oval window grafted in and an oval decklid. Pretty easy to tell based on the windshield size and shape and the dash. Might also be a '56 on a later pan. I would check that the VIN under the back seat matches the plate behind the spare tire and verify everything against the VIN lookup on The Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Got a close up of the door handle? Looks like a mid 60s door handle.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Taillights and hood support are oval.
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Hello again everyone,

Thank you to each one of you for your replies. I've already hit all of the brake joints with PB as of late last night, as I will be changing all of the rear brake hardware, not just the rear cylinders. As someone stated, the rubber line doesn't look great, and neither does anything else back there lol.

I do know the transmission was replaced in 2023 with an order from Aircooled Haus, and the enginer was redone in 2022 with items ordered from Aircooled Haus as well as Kaddie Shack in Pasadena. I'll have to dig out the documentation my Aunt sent over to me.

I'll double check the VIN, but I do believe it's a '56 with perhaps a newer door or door handle. I'll snag some pictures of the front and interior as well.

Is there a way to tell what year(s) the brakes are for? I'd like to purchase the correct parts the first time around obviously lol.

Thanks again in advance!
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Here are some more pics, as promised. I'd love to get the rear brake parts ordered, but I'm hesitant now as to what year to purchase for. I'll take the drum off today and see if the type of wheel cylinder will provide any clues.

Pic of rear brake, as well as the engine / trans from underneath.

Here's a pic of the EMPI front disc conversion. Lines look much better up front as well.

Door / door handle:

More exterior and interior pics:

The VIN is 1164644.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

March 1956 build.

Doors are later

Do a search for brake backing plates…there is a hood thread on here covering the different years and changes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
March 1956 build.

Doors are later

Do a search for brake backing plates…there is a hood thread on here covering the different years and changes

Great suggestion, thank you. I found the thread and am linking it here for future reference and easy finding for anyone else interested.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625973&highlight=brake+backing+plates
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Nice Oval, I guess it just fell in the right hands. Get it running and @njoy!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Pretty sure the pan is an early 60s pan. The rear shock towers are not correct for a '56. They are angled at the top and have the bump stops. Body has been modified around the mount and shock mounting as well. The rear torsion bars are for short bars which is wrong for a '56. Check the VIN on the center of the tunnel under the seat. I bet it is different. The axle tube look like they have the straight shock mounts so could be original to the cars.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Pretty sure the pan is an early 60s pan. The rear shock towers are not correct for a '56. They are angled at the top and have the bump stops. Body has been modified around the mount and shock mounting as well. The rear torsion bars are for short bars which is wrong for a '56. Check the VIN on the center of the tunnel under the seat. I bet it is different. The axle tube look like they have the straight shock mounts so could be original to the cars.

Agree on the pan being later. The VIN number on the tunnel would tell what year it went to. Definitely later than 1960, so 61 to 77. The trans is a later tunnel trans with the stock, straight shock bolt points and clamp points for the brake lines. Looks like someone may have “built” the transmission for a few extra ponies, based off of the side diff cover. The rear torsion cover is after 1960, before than they had a tube projected out past the plate. The front trans mounts looks to be 1961ish as well, but hard to see 100%.

Cool car! It will be neat to find out how it all came to be! That’s the fun of it all! The history of the car!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

Great information, thanks. I checked the top of the tunnel under the rear seat, and it's just bare metal where it looks like a VIN plate should be lol. Based on your other observations I wouldn't doubt that it's sitting on a 60's pan.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

Chainsaw Monday wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Great information, thanks. I checked the top of the tunnel under the rear seat, and it's just bare metal where it looks like a VIN plate should be lol. Based on your other observations I wouldn't doubt that it's sitting on a 60's pan.

Where is your heater controls at on the pan ? If its to the right of the shifter on the side of the tunnel you know its not older than 1964
56-64

65 & up

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

To avoid a pesky transmission oil leak, it is recommended to position the axle boot seams to the rear of the car, so that they can better withstand the up and down flexing. Interesting car, good luck!
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Chainsaw Monday wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Where is your heater controls at on the pan ? If its to the right of the shifter on the side of the tunnel you know its not older than 1964
56-64

65 & up

Thanks for the input... I don't have either of those as far as I can tell lol.

Pic of the lack of VIN on top of tunnel at rear seat.

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

At the end of the day you have a great looking car and remember your Uncle every time you go for a cruise in it...

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Chainsaw Monday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 VW Beetle - Just inherited from deceased Uncle Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
At the end of the day you have a great looking car and remember your Uncle every time you go for a cruise in it...

Amen to that!

Does no heater controls mean they were deleted at some point? Or did this car ever come without heat? (Sorry if that's a dumb question).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: