Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

James Ghia, the wedding car
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Hi all, been looking on here a bit and thought I should join and share my progress as I make it.

Got married to my better half 14 years ago, it was just us and a judge. Shortly after my good friend calls me and asks to help him buy a Karmann Ghia about an hour away. We head out and buy it, I drove it back. I told him if he ever sells it I want the 1st right of refusal.

Fast forward 14 years later I get that call. I wasn't looking for a project but was thinking about another fun car. It hadn't ran in a year or so. He got it to barely run and drove it to my house.

I've always had an anti Euro car policy and know nothing about air cooled VW. I did buy the book by Muir. I'm working on getting running well. It wouldnt start the next day at all. I bought an amazon carb, In the process of installing it the hot came off the coil and I hooked it to the neg. it fried the dizzy and the coil. I got it to run and timed it but its not firing on cyl 2. I adjusted the valves and did a compression test, 120,115,115,120. Tomorrow I'll throw some wires and new plugs at it, it should run I think.

The plan is to get it running well, drive it around a bit and have it able to move under it's own power. I dont have a place to keep it so going to build a 10x20 shed in my back yard to restore it and store it in. Planning to gut it next spring, hopefully having it back on the road by the end of summer.

Here's a few pics of how it sits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba. Congratulations on your "new" Karmann Ghia. It looks mostly all there and unmolested which is good. I believe the seats are original but the door panels are aftermarket. What year is it, 72, 73, or 74? The Samba is a great resource and most members are quick to offer help when it's requested. There's a world of knowledge here. Good luck getting it back on the road and I'll be watching your progress.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Looks like a great project. If you are on Facebook, NWDubs is also a great place. The moderators are out of the Portland area, and have a couple Ghias. Best of luck!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

jamesbee wrote:

Nice Rotti too. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. The Ghia is a 1974. I definitely appreciate all advice and feedback. I installed plugs, wires, distributor hold down bracket and changed the oil. Got it running but it wouldn't idle. After some google work I found a thread , on here. I pulled the idle cutoff switch after it didnt test click click click. It had more of a hum sound. I cut the end off it, it now idles. The car runs great at higher rpm. Plan now is to time it again then adjust the carb. Like I said above, I know nothing about air cooled VW and not much about carbed cars.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing pretty good for never working on an air cooled VW before.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Adjusted the carb and re timed it. It's running pretty well I think. I wanted to send a video to my friend I got it from but my phone wont send via text. I uploaded to youtube, heres a link. [mod EDIT]

Link

It appears the old girl used to be green.

The fun part will be a year out I think. Here's a few pics of what I can see as of now.

Battery tray is toast

Plenty of rust to cut out, I've seen worse on here though. Still need to pull the carpet and have a look under.

Was in previous accident. I should be able to work with this

Not sure about the nose and how much bondo is hiding. My friend said someone backed into it, left no note.

Pretty happy today, it seems to be running great. I need to get it out and drive it a bit.
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

Incredible how good it runs.👏
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: James Ghia, the wedding car Reply with quote

jamesbee wrote:
I've always had an anti Euro car policy and know nothing about air cooled VW. I did buy the book by Muir.

I'm no expert either, but after reading Muir's book I feel empowered to give it a go. I'm not a mechanic at all, but I know what a wrench is, so I have a start. Laughing

Definitely suggest reading everything up to the procedures at least to get yourself familiar. It's a fun read too. Cool

1968 Karmann Ghia-some fancy white
1985 Westfalia-some crap brown
1971 Opel GT-hubby's first car
1974 914-mostly rust colored
2007 Cayman S-Sapphire Blue (so pretty!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: