Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akciddento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

I have a blueprint built DJ 2.1 WBX with an eagle 2280 cam with hydraulic lifters in and have HD single valve springs (CB recommends not to run dual springs)

I'l looking for something with more spring pressure to put in to prevent valve float over 5-6k rpm

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with other springs available?

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1490.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

When making decisions on springs and comparing them, you want to know the seat or closed pressure the cam manufacturer recommends. So first step would be to measure your stock pressure. This can be affected by installed height and it’s not uncommon to have to shim the springs to get equal seat pressure.

Next, you need to know how much your valve opens. The spring must not coil bind at full open.

Last, I have to wonder about how your hydraulic lifters are going to act with more tension on them. I’d be considering going to solid lifters.

As to your question, I can’t make a recommendation for a specific spring. When I build a race engine, I work with the cam supplier and get the springs through them. I personally like German steel springs.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

6000 rpm in a Vanagon.... why?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
When making decisions on springs and comparing them, you want to know the seat or closed pressure the cam manufacturer recommends. So first step would be to measure your stock pressure. This can be affected by installed height and it’s not uncommon to have to shim the springs to get equal seat pressure.

When i built my heads up i had springs from 3 2.1 engines and used the drill press with a travel stop and a scale to find 8 each of the inners and outers that were sorta the same. It was surprising how much variation there was between them. Fun process!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akciddento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies, especially you Glen...

The engine is built and has a few thousand km on it but I want to pull the heads and rework the valves - and was thinking to change single springs at the same time - the bottom end appears fine so I am reluctant to split the case and swap the cam so solid lifter conversion is out of the equation.

I'll investigate and post a reply when I get some answers !
best

D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unlike the 1600 air cooled, I’m 90% sure the lifters on a WBX come out the sides of the case. Nothing wrong with gaining experience, but it sometimes comes with an unexpected price.
Wink
akciddento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

@mark - yep WBX hydro lifters (usually) come out without a problem with a magnetic pick (just did this on the MV WBX in the Doka) - can you drop in solid lifters without machining the case?
On the turbo motor i built (with IIRK an FK87 cam? and a lot of help from @raceshack) We pressed in the bronze bushings from Rocky Jennings and had to deck part of the inside of the case on the mill?

what lifters did you use?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

I haven’t converted a 2.1 to solid lifters. I just know from racing VW engines, hydraulic lifters aren’t reliable at high rpm.

Sounds like your builder resized the lifter bores and the bushings needed additional machining to fit solid lifters from some application. I’d probably start with getting the measurements of a stock hydraulic lifter and go from there. Maybe a Type 4 air cooled engine? I really don’t know.
akciddento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: recommends for single valve springs for CB 2280 cam? Reply with quote

We used T1 engine style solid lifters - these have a narrower bore but a large head so the lifter sleeves in the case were milled down around 15mm and then sleeved with new bronze bushings - because of the large flat head and the design the lifters need to be installed before the case is closed and wont come out again....

There's an old write up on the engine assembly here on the Akciddento Blog from back in the day...

https://akciddento.com/dont-hold-your-breath/

Engle solid lifters....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: