Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Hi again,
Recently, I was attempting to get my 63 rust-free VW Bug back on the road. It's a 12volt alternator converted, and everything was working when I put it into storage.

In attempting to install a new battery, I may have gotten the battery wires momentarily crossed. The PO had installed a Pertronix module, and while I'm no fan of those, it did run well. I think it's an early Pertronix, but I don't know. Do you think I wasted the Pertronix>

I have 009 points and condenser to test with, but I thought I'd check it with you first, thanks!
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

No harm if the ignition is off.
nvrgvupjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
No harm if the ignition is off.
That may answer my question - because I did try to start it (ignition switched on). Darn...
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Another thing that can kill them is running them with no spark plugs attached, such as when one does a compression test. when running a compression test always disconnect the pertronix when cranking with no spark plugs attached. I have killed one by not disconnecting during a compression test, no smoke, no pop noise, just failure!

Otherwise I have found the pertronix very good, and they never drift in timing as opposed to points, which do drift with wear. optimal timing all the time.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Another thing that can kill them is running them with no spark plugs attached, such as when one does a compression test. when running a compression test always disconnect the pertronix when cranking with no spark plugs attached. I have killed one by not disconnecting during a compression test, no smoke, no pop noise, just failure!

Otherwise I have found the pertronix very good, and they never drift in timing as opposed to points, which do drift with wear. optimal timing all the time.

I’ve found pertronix to be a pile of shit, but ck this out 😂😂😂😂

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281144&highlight=points+vs+pertronix
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281144&highlight=points+vs+pertronix

near four decades of Pertronix use on several cars, and only one failure do to running it with no spark plug attached. What is the problem you have had with them?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

near four decades of Pertronix use on several cars, and only one failure do to running it with no spark plug attached. What is the problem you have had with them?

If you bother to read the 30 some odd pages with input from many present and former Samba fellows you find the answer.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

30 pages, Ill pass on that. My experience is very good with the Pertronix. I guess that is what counts for me. I was simply curious if you might give a sentence or two about the problems you have had.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Though I appreciate everyone's experiences and opinions, the discussions on Pertronix versus Points reminds me of the pages of discussions on aircooled VW oil choices. Simply, all of us have had a variety of experiences with either points or Pertronix and the same holds true for the oil we may be running. I get it.

Admittedly, and for reasons I can't seem to explain, I happen to be terrible at setting/adjusting points. Always have been. I've rebuilt entire VW engines, done brakes, general repairs and bodywork/paint, but I can tell you that I'm not very good with auto electrical systems. I guess over the years I've learned what I know and what I don't. But when it comes to ignition points, well sometimes I'm spot on and other times I'm off in the weeds, and it's that inconsistency on my part that had me decide to try Pertronix.

Had I been better with points/condenser, I likely would have stayed with it, but I can say that I've had my Pertronix distributor installed in my Bug for more than 5 years and everything has been fine.

However, based on this forum saying Pertronix are of poor quality, I carry an entire original distributor with the points set (as best as I can) and with the timing set so I can bolt in the old technology if needed. So far, so good.

As always, I try to understand everyone's perspective, especially when it comes to the old VWs we all love. I've learned, and continue to learn tons of things on the Samba and I will read and study everyone's thoughts and contributions because it's all a wonderful education. Thanks!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Your unit should be find. Turn the car on and see if it runs.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
30 pages, Ill pass on that.

More like 37 but like I said you get testimonials from dozens of users. Yours is a perfect example of not using the search feature to educate yourself and normally I don’t say anything especially newbie’s but you’ve been here longer that me and I’m a 20 year man. So rather than do the work for you I’ll pass saying only I’m still running on points from over 10 years ago and a few here are using points from the 70s. The funniest observation though is of the pertronix faithful most carry a spare distributor with points setup in case of failure but nobody carries a spare pertronix in case their points failure. I’ve personally had two module failures and one failure of a pertronix distributor @ less than 3 years because diaphragm, no more vacuum advance. Seen countless failures caused by operator error and that’s no fault of pertronix just an expensive lesson. Not impossible to fry a set of points but much cheaper to replace points. Maybe that’s it I’m a cheap old bastard who can squeeze decades out a set of points 😂you’d be pleasantly surprised to find so much information available by using the search feature.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387513

Attention * Attention newbies the above is worth your time to read, use the search features. I guarantee it’s worth your time.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:
30 pages, Ill pass on that.

More like 37 but like I said you get testimonials from dozens of users. Yours is a perfect example of not using the search feature to educate yourself and normally I don’t say anything especially newbie’s but you’ve been here longer that me and I’m a 20 year man. So rather than do the work for you I’ll pass saying only I’m still running on points from over 10 years ago and a few here are using points from the 70s. The funniest observation though is of the pertronix faithful most carry a spare distributor with points setup in case of failure but nobody carries a spare pertronix in case their points failure. I’ve personally had two module failures and one failure of a pertronix distributor @ less than 3 years because diaphragm, no more vacuum advance. Seen countless failures caused by operator error and that’s no fault of pertronix just an expensive lesson. Not impossible to fry a set of points but much cheaper to replace points. Maybe that’s it I’m a cheap old bastard who can squeeze decades out a set of points 😂you’d be pleasantly surprised to find so much information available by using the search feature.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387513

Attention * Attention newbies the above is worth your time to read, use the search features. I guarantee it’s worth your time.

I have not asked you to do work for me in a search, just asked what you find bad with pertronix. You have written a lot here, but have stated little of use for me. Thanks for the effort anyway.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Letting the magic smoke out of a Pertronics module is pretty easy, if you have a gen 1 or I believe 2 module.

Connect the wires to the coil incorrectly and power it up.
POOF! Magic smoke will appear. BTDT! Embarassed

I read somewhere that the gen 3 modules are protected from shorting out in the manner stated above. Research that before relying on my statement. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

nvrgvupjw wrote:
Hi again,
Recently, I was attempting to get my 63 rust-free VW Bug back on the road. It's a 12volt alternator converted, and everything was working when I put it into storage.

In attempting to install a new battery, I may have gotten the battery wires momentarily crossed. The PO had installed a Pertronix module, and while I'm no fan of those, it did run well. I think it's an early Pertronix, but I don't know. Do you think I wasted the Pertronix>

I have 009 points and condenser to test with, but I thought I'd check it with you first, thanks!

I like my Pertronix. But, to each their own.

Try starting your car with battery and Pertronix installed with correct polarity. You will find out quickly if it still works. If it is damaged, you can't hurt it any further. Got nothing to lose.

The only thing I did not like about Pertronix is that it can burn out if you leave your ignition on for a while without the car running. I burned out one Pertronix like that. After that, I came with a simple 2 relay circuit that prevents that from happening now.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751805&highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have not asked you to do work for me in a search, just asked what you find bad with pertronix. You have written a lot here, but have stated little of use for me. Thanks for the effort anyway.

Well hell I went over and above didn’t I ? The way I see it what’s said here gets looked at by many people and if someone can provide insight from multiple reputable sources on a topic that is good even though the OP is unable to process the information. Not for you and not for me but someone out there might read this and decide it’s worth the effort. Here’s my door stop that failed in less than three years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Quote:

Well hell I went over and above didn’t I ? The way I see it what’s said here gets looked at by many people and if someone can provide insight from multiple reputable sources on a topic that is good even though the OP is unable to process the information. Not for you and not for me but someone out there might read this and decide it’s worth the effort. Here’s my door stop that failed in less than three years.

Thank you, that is helpful, I see you have their full distributor.

For me all I use is the Pertronix point replacement unit, in a stock distributor, stock spark coil too.
Timing never has drifted, which is nice. In the Bug timing is very easy to check, but in my 914 it is a bit more difficult do to the position of the timing marks being a bit harder to see. Anyway it is a nice labor saver, always spot on timing were I set it at, even many thousands of miles later.

Not had any issues with them in near 40 years on many cars. (other than operating with no spark plugs attached when doing a compression test) Perhaps the distributor failed for you?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
30 pages, Ill pass on that. My experience is very good with the Pertronix. I guess that is what counts for me. I was simply curious if you might give a sentence or two about the problems you have had.

I've had one fail on a basically stock fuel injected '79 super beetle convertible. When warm cylinder #3 would intermittently miss. I tried a new plug, I tried a new plug wire, I cleaned the cap inside and inspected it. None of this fixed the problem so I pulled it and installed a new set of points and condenser. The miss was gone so the Pertronix was dropped in the trash. I would consider using one as a trigger for a capacitive discharge ignition or TFI module. (or the even cheaper hot-spark unit).
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix? Reply with quote

Better putting an early golf MK1 or Mk2 hall effect distributor (dual advance/retard) on. It needs turning down on a lathe to fit and some small machining to fit the beetle prong end, but then you have a high quality BOSCH system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: