Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1835 cc engine build
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

So, I ordered all the parts for the 1835 cc engine I want to build, got most of the stuff from CB Performance.

Plan is for a 1835 cc engine, 69mm stroke, 92mm thick wall cylinders.
And this is where my first question comes.
Ordered the case from them, and had it machined by them to 94mm with standard deck height.
Received the case and cylinders from them, and did a test fit of the cylinders in the case, and noticed that they don't slip all the way in.
Other engines I have built, cylinders slip right in, and are actually a bit loose.

I don't think this is normal.
If it's normal, fine, but if it's not, what do I do about it ?
I'm in KY, so I wouldn't want to send the case back to them in CA.
I also e-mailed them about this, but no answer yet.

Here some pictures.

Opening in the case, is that not supposed to be machined all the way down ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here 2 pictures of the cylinder in the case, you can see it is not bottomed out.

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

Figure out if they are hitting the step in the case, or if the larger diameter on the cylinder is too large. I had to turn a set of the cylinder bases down recently to make them fit in the case.
Brian
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

if he bought all that from CB , should'nt they have test fitted the parts?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

Not a chance.

They grab parts off a shelf, put labels on them, and send them out the door.

Brian
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

That depends on what you order and what you’re paying to have done. I mean ive had them port match intakes before and they did a great job, even numbered the head & corresponding intake. Ive had several heads cnc’ed and fly cut to my specs, so none of that is just pulled off the shelf & shipped..

Did OP measure his cylinders or just assume they were 94mm o.d. ? Were spigots cut to OP’s specifications of 94mm or were they requested to be cut to fit c.b.’s 92’s?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

I ordered the "1156 White Rhino Aluminum super case 94mm bore std deck" with case savers installed, from them.
It is my understanding that that is what you need for the 92mm piston/thick wall cylinders.

And I ordered the cylinders/pistons in the same order.

At the time I also ordered the camshaft, and was told that camshafts and cases are prepped to order and would take 2-4 weeks to be delivered.

And they shipped after exactly 4 weeks. Very Happy
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

MTT3107 wrote:
I ordered the "1156 White Rhino Aluminum super case 94mm bore std deck" with case savers installed, from them.
It is my understanding that that is what you need for the 92mm piston/thick wall cylinders.

And I ordered the cylinders/pistons in the same order.

At the time I also ordered the camshaft, and was told that camshafts and cases are prepped to order and would take 2-4 weeks to be delivered.

And they shipped after exactly 4 weeks. Very Happy

Well then, youd think they should fit. I know sometimes it can take them a couple days to reply to emails and then if they haven’t I’ll send a follow up. They typically respond. Ive never been unhappy with their customer service
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

So, went at it again and took some measurements.

The machined part in the case is machined to a depth of 19.3 mm

The part of the cylinder from the edge to the step is only 9.5 mm, so it's not that the cylinder is bottoming out on the step in the case.

I then measured the diameters, the bore in the case is 97.11 mm , and the outer diameter of the cylinder is 96.9 mm at the bottom.
But the area above the step has a diameter of 97.6 mm, so there's the problem.

Brian_e was right, I will have to find a machine shop to get the outer diameter of the cylinder above the step turned down a tiny bit.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

CALL CB !!!! Yeah, call them, the old-fashioned way !!!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

I am assuming they are AA P&C's?

I never bothered to see if it was the case or the cylinder that was the problem, I just fixed it quickly, and continued on with the build.

I don't think CB had anything to do with it being wrong. They order the cases from Autolinea in either 90.5, or 94mm bore. They come from the factory with the cylinder holes bored to size. CB is just re-selling them. Same with the cylinders.

Brian
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

Yes, AA p&c’s

I reached out tothe local VW group, looks like somebody can do this for me.

Thanks for all your input !
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

Just wanted to bring this thread to an end..

The problem was the step on the cylinders, prevented them from going all the way in.

Had the barrels machined, eliminating the step, and its all good now.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

Now that the cylinders are sitting fully in the case opening, were you able to measure your deck height yet?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 cc engine build Reply with quote

Is the step in the cylinder in order to register the cylinder in the bore more accurately now?

Good example of why everything needs checked, fitted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: