Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRLA throttle plates
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69_Moneypit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: DRLA throttle plates Reply with quote

Hi. Looking for some advice from the Dell DRLA gurus out there. Currently rebuilding a set of Alfa DRLA 36s. These have been vapour blasted and now reassembling. Watching a video online they mention getting the throttle plates to cover all the progression holes. I know there is a world of experience needed to set these correctly but my questions is do they need to fully cover the first hole. Both plates cover 3/4 of it and seem tight.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA throttle plates Reply with quote

I have a pair of 40's here. With the throttle plates at the idle position. The lowest progression port is about 1/3 exposed.

Use a .003" feeler gauge between the throttle plate and the carb body. Set the idle screw so that you have some drag on the feeler gauge. That will get you close to a good starting point when you fire the engine after the carbs are installed.

Set the mixture screws three turns out from bottomed in their seats. Be gentle when turning the mixture screws into the seats. You don't want to break one.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
69_Moneypit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA throttle plates Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have a pair of 40's here. With the throttle plates at the idle position. The lowest progression port is about 1/3 exposed.

Use a .003" feeler gauge between the throttle plate and the carb body. Set the idle screw so that you have some drag on the feeler gauge. That will get you close to a good starting point when you fire the engine after the carbs are installed.

Set the mixture screws three turns out from bottomed in their seats. Be gentle when turning the mixture screws into the seats. You don't want to break one.

Thanks very much.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA throttle plates Reply with quote

Imo that's about normal.
Stick a flashlight in the other end and look at the gap around the throttle plate to make sure it's centered. Mainly you don't want them to rub the bore.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DRLA throttle plates Reply with quote

Your throttle plates look good-about 1/2 the first hole open underneath.
69_Moneypit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: DRLA throttle plates Reply with quote

Thanks All. Think I got the answer I need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: