Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to price a Syncro16?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Price range?
Under 10k
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
10-15k
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
15-20k
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Over 20k
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Sadly, I have finally given up on my project. I don't have enough time for it, and the van is rotting away by sitting for so long. The rust is winning and the body needs lots of work. I'd love to see someone from this community save it and turn it into a fun van.

It's a Syncro 16" with TDI, rear locker, tall pop-top, and registered as a diesel in California. I replaced the front suspension bushings, springs, shocks, wheel bearings, CVs. Syncro 16 with this type of roof is not common in USA, and so I'm not sure how to compare with other vans on the market. At the same time, the body needs attention. Any ideas where to start with pricing a unique project van?

[EDIT] I know that ads belong in the classifieds section. So, I was hesitant to put too many photos and details in this post. But, I realize advice can only be given with the current state of the van (as @elizer commented). So, I have added photos of the current condition. If this post is inappropriate, I understand.

The potential! This photo was taken on the day I picked up the van.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The current condition Sad

Last edited by nuhu on Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Let the market decide, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Just set a reserve for the minimum you're willing to accept.

https://bringatrailer.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

I would probably start with pictures of the current condition.
nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I would probably start with pictures of the current condition.

Fair point. I have edited the post to include current condition photos.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Someone is going to call protective services on you. I try to purchase a vehile that needs TLC and provide it, improving it's condition. It appears you have done the opposite.

It has value, but to only a handful of people in the world. As suggested, Bring a Trailer project no reserve. As someone pointed out the other day, it only takes 2 drunk dudes to bid it up. GLWA
nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

@MarkWard ha ha ha! So true. I am ashamed and probably should be kicked off this message board for disrespecting the Vanagon.

Unfortunately, I learned a lot of lessons about buying a vehicle sight-unseen. Pictures don't tell the whole story, and there were underlying issues that surfaced soon after I bought it. Of course, I didn't help the matter by neglecting the van and leaving it parked for so long. I kept hoping I could get back to working on it, but life had other plans. I'm sad to let the dream go, but such is life sometimes.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Yikes. Is that salt life? I think if all the syncro 16 bits, front diff, trnasaxle, and engine are good thats where the value is. If you parted it I think you would get a few thousand for the pop top alone.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

I just voted "under 10K." Why? you could probably get more, but from your posts it sounds like your time is very important, and low prices make for quick sales.

A lot would depend on the condition of the interior, too.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

nuhu wrote:
@MarkWard ha ha ha! So true. I am ashamed and probably should be kicked off this message board for disrespecting the Vanagon.

Unfortunately, I learned a lot of lessons about buying a vehicle sight-unseen. Pictures don't tell the whole story, and there were underlying issues that surfaced soon after I bought it. Of course, I didn't help the matter by neglecting the van and leaving it parked for so long. I kept hoping I could get back to working on it, but life had other plans. I'm sad to let the dream go, but such is life sometimes.

To be fair, that pretty paint job that was applied before you bought it sure was covering up some serious problems.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Man I drooled over that because of the top when I first saw it on Busman.
The unknown TDi conversion and the state of the interior kept me away from it.
Sorry circumstances turned out the way it has for you. It's a bummer for sure.
Good luck on it
Do you know the Ring & Pinion ratio for it?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

If you don’t want to deal with BAT and aren’t in a hurry post a You Tell Me (YTM) ad on the classifieds here. After all, that’s what this thread basically is. Rolling Eyes
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

nuhu, I sent a pm. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Yeah that top is going to have to be lifted completely off and a whole lot of cutting and welding done to get it back in shape. Add in the front which looks like a Bondo orgy took place on it and you're talking $25-$30k right there. The big question is the interior.

But it is a syncro 16 and as the owner of one I sure like to see top dollar spent on them. As it sits you should hope for $20k and be prepared to take less.

PS You really deserve some sort of punishment for letting it rot. For penance you shall perform 3 syncro starter replacements and 4 dash fan motor repairs. Go with God my son.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. And yes, I know I disrespected this van. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I posted a classified ad with all details that I can think of. I added a ride along video (yes, it runs Smile). The limit of 9 photos isn't nearly enough to comprehensively show the condition. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

I am still considering listing on Bring a Trailer, but starting with this for now.

Ad is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2678775
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

It's been poorly restored, now it's a parts van, economically speaking.... Crying or Very sad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

don't beat yourself up too bad. I took a hit on a syncro import from belgium too. They are good at fixing up wrecks and slapping on bondo and paint. Also dont forget the heavy undercoating on literally everything.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Yes the body is bad. A poor conversion from a 16" Syncro panel work van to a pop-top with lipstick on a pig paint job.

This thread is a no-no as far as the rules about selling in the forums. Especially talking money. I won't vote in the poll.

But your ad is failing to focus on the positives; it's 16" You need to take the time to shoot several good photos of the various bits that make it a 16. Get out there and crawl around on the ground and shoot the undercarriage.
The rear trailing arm, the front uprights and shock towers, the locker system including the locker panel.
Clear photos that prove it's a real 16"

The other major plus is the SCA hightop-poptop. Open it up and show the headroom inside and the condition of the tent (it does have a tent?).
You also need pics of the engine compartment.
Focus on what's good. The bad already shows.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

@MsTaboo, thank you for your suggestions about how to improve my ad. Your suggestions are very helpful and constructive.

If you or any moderator think I should remove the poll or this thread, I understand. Just let me know. Or, maybe I can edit to be about what is valuable in a Syncro 16 when buying and selling. I think that’s what you have highlighted for me to consider when writing my ad. Thank you.
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to price a Syncro16? Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, how long ago was this imported? Im curious how long it took to reach the state its in now.
1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: