Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY dizzy machine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Anyone ever built their own distributor machine to test & tune them?
I’d thought about building one out of an old engine. Maybe cut the case in half and use the rear half and cut & mount the crank stout to an electric motor. Then you could mont the dizzy in a familiar location, use the motor to spin the dizzy at variable RPM and a degree wheel to check timing.
I dunno, maybe dumb idea but im just trying to post some stuff because the board is slooooooowwwwww
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

You need a variable speed DC motor, a chuck to hold the drive. A degree wheel , a strobe and a tach.

Its a lot of work and parts for the little use it will get.

And then what will you do wit the information?

Show a graph of the curve and 99% of people won't know if it's good or bad.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Anyone ever built their own distributor machine to test & tune them?
I’d thought about building one out of an old engine. Maybe cut the case in half and use the rear half and cut & mount the crank stout to an electric motor. Then you could mont the dizzy in a familiar location, use the motor to spin the dizzy at variable RPM and a degree wheel to check timing.
I dunno, maybe dumb idea but im just trying to post some stuff because the board is slooooooowwwwww

That's a boat load of work to do what a shitty used motor will do.
Stick a tach on it, a timing light, and a pad of paper and pen.
Of course you could make it more complicated but why?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

You people are always so positive, it’s no wonder this place is as dead as it is these days….
Of course it needs all that shit Glenn, duh.
And edse, you know what happens when you jack with a dizzy on a running engine? It changes RPM … Be a lot easier to toy with the timing on something that doesnt keep changing as you do. Theres a reason they used to make these machines.

And who says anyone is making a graph for anything ?
Fuckin bunch of negative nellies
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Ive used a running used motor to map out an advance curve using a tach and strobe. Easy to do
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

A 2 second Google search found this...

Link

http://www.ourdigitalmags.com/publication/?i=567450&article_id=3305126&view=articleBrowser

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849268

https://www.google.com/search?q=home+made+distribu...-serp#ip=1

Yesterday you were bumping quite a few 15 year old topics... Now that April 20th is over, I hope you had a good nights sleep.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

BFB wrote:

And edse, you know what happens when you jack with a dizzy on a running engine? It changes RPM … Be a lot easier to toy with the timing on something that doesnt keep changing as you do. Theres a reason they used to make these machines.

No need to get all twisted, you started asking for advice and said yourself that
BFB wrote:
I dunno, maybe dumb idea

Sure a variable speed DC drive for the distributor would be ideal, or a used SUN machine. But if you make it, then you have to devise how youre going to show iginition advance in degrees. By all means don't let anyone get in your way, go do it. Rolling Eyes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Years ago, a friend came over with an old Tektronix 2465 oscilloscope and it was interesting.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

People think in terms of what they already have.
He has a lot of junk engines. Wink
I have a dozen variable speed machines that can spin a distributor already, so I'd use one of those and a degree wheel and a timing light and a good tach if I wanted to test distributors indoors.
And I have before, didn't take long to cobble up a temporary rig.

I don't like machines that can only do one task.
Make it a spintron that can also test distrubutors. Then at least it can do two things.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You need a variable speed DC motor, a chuck to hold the drive. A degree wheel , a strobe and a tach.

Its a lot of work and parts for the little use it will get.

And then what will you do wit the information?

Show a graph of the curve and 99% of people won't know if it's good or bad.

Glenn will know... Very Happy

modok wrote:
People think in terms of what they already have.
He has a lot of junk engines. Wink
I have a dozen variable speed machines that can spin a distributor already, so I'd use one of those and a degree wheel and a timing light and a good tach if I wanted to test distributors indoors.
And I have before, didn't take long to cobble up a temporary rig.

I don't like machines that can only do one task.
Make it a spintron that can also test distrubutors. Then at least it can do two things.

A running VW with a degree pulley and a timing light would do it. It will multitask by driving you to The Greedy Mart. Very Happy

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
You people are always so positive, it’s no wonder this place is as dead as it is these days….
Of course it needs all that shit Glenn, duh.

For positivity, show us what you built, rather than what you think you may build,
everyone has opinions on ideas, positive or negative.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

BFB wrote:

BFB wrote:

He has no interest in building a test machine. He's just trolling you guys because he's bored and wants to start an argument.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
BFB wrote:

BFB wrote:

He has no interest in building a test machine. He's just trolling you guys because he's bored and wants to start an argument.

1000x

Myself and at least one other samba member have a sizable archive of PM's from him relentlessly rambling on, spewing profanities, calling me an idiot, with really nothing actually said; especially anything productive.

Pretty certain there will be more headed my way now from him. Rolling Eyes Dave will be most likely getting some as well. Laughing

Just to keep it on topic....I had a near mint Sun 500 tester and cabinet I got from the local school district. I used it a few times. Made some changes to a few points distributors, and that was about it. It took up room in the garage, and never got used, so I sold it to a guy for $100. He wanted it to look cool in his "man cave". Without modification, a normal tester won't work with electronic ignitions. Points only, and I was long past that point.
Now I just do the timing light on a running engine test. Much easier. Without a dyno, you will have a hard time seeing much difference in a few hundred RPM difference in advance curve.

Brian
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

He went on a bender last Saturday... April 20th.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Mine were the 13th-15th. Maybe I set the tone for the rest of his week. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I read half of the first sentence of his last message, and then just deleted it. It was really long, and a total waste of time. The entertainment value wasn't even there anymore.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Mine were the 13th-15th. Maybe I set the tone for the rest of his week. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I read half of the first sentence of his last message, and then just deleted it. It was really long, and a total waste of time. The entertainment value wasn't even there anymore.

You can ignore him by clicking here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode...p;b=373393

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

I have thought about doing just that several times in the past. Re-curving a distributor in the car is very time consuming.

Then I got my first taste of crank trigger ignition... I think you could convert for about the same cost as building a distributor machine. It might still be worth it though if you have multiple distributors to check out and use. Not for just one.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

BFB wrote:

Ah, yeah, that's because people who are out there busy actually doing shit aren't sitting next to their computers waiting for you to post something they can slam. Personally, I don't know anyone who gets on here. They all avoid this site like the plague. Lately, with a few exceptions, I would have to agree. But you kinda get what you put in. What do you expect? Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed. There's maybe a dozen people keeping the place going with actual knowledge. The rest are lurkers or dumb-asses like me. I've had topics I was researching and came across really nice looking forums. However, when I tried to strum up some conversation, crickets. That's how the Samba will be eventually. Maybe not quite that bad. You should have been here 20 years ago. We all had a better attitude. Now we're old and bitter. Get off my lawn!
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Is that the day he bumped up a couple of 10 year old post just to see what would happen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY dizzy machine Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Is that the day he bumped up a couple of 10 year old post just to see what would happen.

Yes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: