Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blue markings on Type 4 case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

Hi
I have seen several mentions, on these pages, of these blue markings below the serial numbers on type 4 engine cases. I recall someone posted a photo of a brand new (NOS?) case with these marks. And some other pics of the same.
My CB 1700 bus engine has these marks. Something like xx2080xx, or such.
The numbers on my VIN, engine, and trans. all seem to point to originals to my bus. VIN is 223, standard microbus. Late 73 production.
Can I/we assume they are factory marks?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

I have seen a lot of them too. No idea what they are for. I have also seen a lot of very small micro stampings as well at various points on cases… almost need a magnifying glass to read those. If you’re not looking, you could easy miss them, but not all cases have them, or some have different markings. Its a mystery, but one I don’t really care about, because I will make whatever I want out of any T4 case.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

are we talking about the rather large blue paint numerals? Post a picture.

I think some of the Euro guys in the 411/412 forum sorted these out about a year ago and they along with the whiteish painted numerals on the sheet metal parts correspond to models/M-code changes/country or delievery options on the assembly line etc.

Yes on the micro-stampings. I have found quite a few of them. They range from numbers, letters to small VW symbols and I believe they are QC stamps from various machining stages.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
...a lot of very small micro stampings as well at various points on cases… almost need a magnifying glass to read those.

I think one of the most remarkable ones of all, the VW logo which is hardly 1/16" across...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

These are off a 1700 EA case I've had for decades, it was a virgin block when I found it, stripped of all externals/tin

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

Yes, The large blue marks like the second photo RWK posted!
I guess I should have said above the serial number.
I was cleaning my engine to do a top end refresh, when I first got my bus. And I wanted to see what size it was.
I didn't realize the marks were there until they were almost gone. Like RWK's.
I am wondering about the history of my engine. Like I said, I'm sure it's original. I have only pulled the top end. It has VW pistons and cylinders. It is still a 1700. And there was really no wear through out the top end. Perhaps a total of a minute to clean up 4 cylinders with a straight (not ball) style hone. It's all within spec, like end play, ring grooves, rod side clearance, etc. The exhaust valves had been changed out, no sodium valves, and seats cleaned up good. The 1/3 exhaust lobe on the cam has some wear. Stock cam.
I am thinking if the engine was totally rebuilt at some point, those marks would have been gone (?).
I haven't found a reason to split the case. Transmission is good.Bus is really pretty clean.
I know there is a lot of speculation about mileage. My odometer just turned 60,000. I have driven it @ 7000 miles, in 6 years. I am guessing it has turned over once.
I realize I am kind of thinking out loud. Smile
Any thoughts? ( I know someone will say 760,000 miles. Rolling Eyes Laughing )
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

Blue is the warmest color. Laughing
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Blue is the warmest color. Laughing

Question Question

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Blue markings on Type 4 case Reply with quote

I guess my question is , will the original pistons and cylinders show very little wear, like they do, at 160000 miles? And the cam? Only one lobe showing significant wear?
When in the past 50 years would VW pistons and cylinders become generally not available? Other than NOS. Now days they all are after market.
Engine had head gasket rings when I pulled the heads. It seems to be a long time ago, when VW said stop using them. I reset deck height to .040 without the HG.
Again, just speculating.
Bus had, what appeared to be , a lot of original ( VW marked) parts. Although I needed to replace most of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: