Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Speakers Crackling
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

Installed new speakers (Rockford Fosgate) to replace the originals in my 84 Westy that were “crackling” at higher volume. Figured the 40 year old units had just finally gotten tired. Now noticing that my new speakers have same crackling. They are installed with original speaker wires and a basic pioneer Bluetooth stereo (no cd player).

Not super concerned about perfect sound quality. Just looking to have some speakers that can be played loud enough with windows down on highway.

My brother mentioned I might need to adjust the gain on my head unit?
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

mine crack also sometimes. It was recommended that I look at an amp. I just haven't yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

WillRB wrote:
Just looking to have some speakers that can be played loud enough with windows down on highway.

Haha! I have some component speakers with crossovers and amplified which I cannot hear with the windows down above 35 miles an hour.

If you have the factory wiring you should run new wires from the head unit to the doors, it would probably help. Is the crackling sound from all speakers at all times and volume? If so I would start with the ground for the head unit and then check all the other connections, if it is more intermittent I would check the speaker connections/wires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

I believe the original set-up used a common ground to the rear speakers. This was fine with the original head but most replacements will want a discrete ground to each speaker. I had a crackling sound and ran an extra wire to provide a separate ground - and all was fine.
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I believe the original set-up used a common ground to the rear speakers. This was fine with the original head but most replacements will want a discrete ground to each speaker. I had a crackling sound and ran an extra wire to provide a separate ground - and all was fine.

Would the lack of an independent ground impact all the speakers or just the rear? I am hearing it upfront, but could be in rear too just haven’t got back there to listen yet.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

For future reference, if you dont want to rewire the rears to use independent grounds, you can use one of these:

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-2YV42gmSI36/p_142FGA/Scosche-FGA-Floating-Ground-Adapter.html

I did in my 84, works great

Robyn
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

WillRB wrote:

My brother mentioned I might need to adjust the gain on my head unit?

TopBud wrote:
mine crack also sometimes. It was recommended that I look at an amp. I just haven't yet.

Though it may or may not be the actual issue...these people are most likely suggesting you're experiencing what's referred to as "clipping"

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

WillRB wrote:
. Just looking to have some speakers that can be played loud enough with windows down on highway.

I don't think that's possible without an amp, and decent quality speakers and tweeters.

My van came with a shitty amp and stock speakers.
I upgraded with better 4" speakers. Quality was a better, but volume level was the same.
I upgraded to a modern receiver (nothing fancy, a medium-range $100 Kenwood USB unit). A bit better
Then, decent Kenwood 6.5" in the doors, with tweeters in the windshield corners. Significant quality increase, both in clarity (tweeters), and level of bass (6.5:, proper install)
Then, sub with integrated amp under the driver's seat (Focal ibus 2.0). Another improvement in quality.
Finally, an amp. Compact Kenwood (M1415 I think?). Only then am I able to comfortably listen to music at highway speed, windows closed.

Windows open at highway speed? I'll need a bigger amp and a bigger sub.
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speakers Crackling Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice. Bit the bullet and installed a micro Sony amp from under the dash behind the glovebox. Overall a pretty simple job. What a big difference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: