Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Took our annual Spring trip to central Pennsylvania.

Discovered Pennsylvania apple country is far more extensive than I imagined.

Landed in Biglerville. Biglerville's varsity teams are "The Canners". Apple juice and apple sauce made that town. We saw names such as Musselman's, Motts, Keurig and Dr. Pepper although not exactly plastered all over town. They're there if you're looking.

Best Meatball on Earth, an award formerly held by Cardona's of Albany NY has been usurped by a little Italian joint called Momma's in the middle of Biglerville. Their meatball parmesan is a little heavy on the cheese but it will feed two or three people for under ten bucks. Did I mention Best Meatballs Ever?

There was a traffic jam of Amish buggies in Lancaster and a young lady who really shouldn't wear those shorts in public in Gettysburg. Very Happy

I scratched "Lincoln Speedway" through the red clay coating the Corolla after a few laps following the water truck at Lincoln. I could still read it after seven bucks worth of pressure washing. Very Happy

Bet the suspense is killing you.

https://emmr.org/

EMMR, the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing is about 20 minutes down the road from Williams Grove (speedway) and worth the drive if you're going to Super Jam or June Bug or whatever they call it these days at Maple Grove. Like I said, the place is a motorhead's ultimate wet dream / ultimate man cave. There is more racing history packed in there than The Henry Ford in Dearborn or the Sprint Car Hall of Fame in Iowa. Unlike your typical "car" museum EMMR goes a hundred steps further with many of not most genres of motor racing represented. There is always more stuff and a few different cars compared to last time. They have over a hundred race cars on display with more to be seen if you ask Lynn politely. They have race programs, trophies, helmets and race suits on all the walls. They have a relatively complete history of racing engines presented in their (relatively) small drag racing section. It may be "small" but they have Don Garlits' "original" Swamp Rat on display right where you'll trip over it. It's perpendicular to a weirdball Austin gasser with an Aston Martin DOHC straight six sporting three 48DCOE Webers. They have so much stuff I can't list it all so pay them a visit.

Most of EMMR's exhibits are ready to run. Pour in 5 gallons of VP's oxygenated alky, push off and rip up a few laps way faster than your angels can fly. That's a ballsy move in a priceless vintage race car. That's exactly what Lynn Paxton, the guy who runs the place, does.

If there's any downside they're a little light on Volkswagens. They have am Autocraft powered midget with its supposedly spare motor next to it. The "spare" is built on an "H" case. It's dry sump so it doesn't matter. It's also lacking its crank, rods, of course flywheel, probably cam, lifters... in other words it's hollow.

If you feel left out after a few laps through EMMR just send -ME- your old VW race parts. A big machine shop just cleared out of our local industrial park. I'll display your vintage Empi, Autocraft and Pauter parts if there's any space left over from our Dave Folts exhibit. Very Happy

I'll bet Gary Berg has a few goodies. Cool

Thinkin' of havin' a Living History display where we demonstrate line boring VW cases and fabricating welded counterweighted cranks. Cool

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Thanks for all that!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

No problem!

EMMR is the one good time guaranteed to have me grinnin' my fool head off every time.

Speaking of cosmic alignment, EMMR is on Baltimore Road right off PA-15 in York Springs, Pennsylvania. Our Air BnB rental was on Maryland Avenue uphill from Possum Creek in Biglerville. Baltimore road. Maryland Avenue.
Coincidence? Very Happy

We Could hear banjo music faintly playin' as we drove up outta the holler. Oh, wait. Girlfriend was playin' a bluegrass CD on the Corolla's stereo. Laughing

I just tracked down an old midget car frame, NOS. Maybe I'll whack it together as a VW powered vintage racer.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

There’s a VW powered midget for sale on the samba right now.
The museum is 2 hours from me. I’ll probably never make it there. All the closest ovals are in PA and all dirt. I’m born and raised an pavement guy. Wall Stadium, the old New Egypt and the final paved version of Flemington.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
The museum is 2 hours from me. I’ll probably never make it there. All the closest ovals are in PA and all dirt. I’m born and raised an pavement guy. Wall Stadium, the old New Egypt and the final paved version of Flemington.
whats the old new egypt?? is there a new one?? Im from not far from the one in NJ. hell i might be from new egypt...old new egypt.. dam that was 64 years ago and Ive lived all around the world. I cant keep all that stuff straight. cooks town,wirghts vill, new egypt...browns mills...california villa. born at the fort.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

The New Egypt Speedway I grew up on was a 1/4 asphalt. In the 90’s it was change to a 1/3 dirt and now it’s a 1/2(?) mile dirt. My Father won a lot of races on the 1/4 mile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:

$10k for a midget that's mostly a display piece is a little rich. It's got some good parts but it would be a shame to part it out.

EMMR:

Ya gotta go. Just go. They're havin' a big "vintage" weekend soon.

If you start out early enough on a Saturday morning find your way out to I-81 and keep goin' until you get to Oswego. NASCAR was hyping Bristol as "The Fastest Half Mile in Racing." It isn't. Pretty sure that honor goes to Oswego on a Saturday night. Or maybe Eldora. How fast is 12- ish second lap on 1/2 mile?

There is always racing at Williams Grove.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Never been to Oswego. I remember my grandparents went once. They had a camper and liked to travel. The Supers are coming to Wall this year. I seen them run Flemington, once.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Link

619 201 0310
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

I’m sure Lemmy’s wet dream was something military oriented. RIP
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

it most likely was, it took me a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG while to realize this thread was not about motorhead.
but was for motor head's or gear head's or what ever we need be called

NJ John wrote:

619 201 0310
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Lemmy did not drive. ( cars anyway, drove a German tank once)
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:

Lemmy's UWD was a lady named Wendy. RIP Lemmy, RIP Wendy O.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Quote:
Best Meatball on Earth, an award formerly held by Cardona's of Albany NY

Used to get those for dinner where we raised the kids.

You know your an upstater when you know the difference between Oswego, OWEGO, Otego, and Otsego.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
Best Meatball on Earth, an award formerly held by Cardona's of Albany NY

Used to get those for dinner where we raised the kids.

You know your an upstater when you know the difference between Oswego, OWEGO, Otego, and Otsego.

...Oneida, Oneonta. Cool

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

RIP The Rapid Roman
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
RIP The Rapid Roman

Richie's modified was at EMMR last time we were there. It's not there now.

Other tracks' upper echelon late models are known as Pro Stocks, here. Most racers are running ACT cars if they want a chance at a paycheck. Anyway, there is an old Pro Stock out in the weeds at one of my guest mechanic gigs. Like many old race cars there's not much left of it aside from a cage, a GM front clip and a Ford 9" w/ 31 spline axles and "Grand National" bearings. In other words there's enough left to build a Richie Evans replica especially if I re- shape some tubing.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Ray Evernham has a 61 pinto. Not sure if it’s a car Richie actually raced at or just an Evan’s built car. Richie sold chassis.
No replica modified would have a factory front clip, and 99% have quick change rears.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Ray Evernham likely has -the- 61 Pinto.

Ray brought out all his toys last time I was at Wall. It was a few weeks after Superstorm Sandy. It was snowing.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Motorhead's Ultimate Wet Dream Reply with quote

Ray sold a bunch of stuff. I know he still has his own cars from the past. My Father built that blue Probe body from scratch for Ray. He still has a bunch of significant northeast cars. I told him I want to go down there just to sit in the X3 Vega.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: