Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane smell
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Methanolab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Propane smell Reply with quote

Anyone else ever smell LP around their tank and regulator? It is faint but definately there. I think it is only when the valve is on. When I turn on the valve I can hear a hissing sound. I tested everything with soapy bubbles and everything seemed good. On the regulator there is a little square hole right on the middle of the front that blows bubbles and has a little LP comming out of it. I know the hole is supposed to be there but is it supposed to leak? like a pressure relief hole? Then why not have it vent through the vent afore the white plastic adjuster screw? Thanks for ideas, I just love the idea of driving a big old tank with a missle strapped under it. I wonder if I can figure out a way to aim it... probably not since the port is on the side.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have a bad regulator, presure relief is the last thing on the tank on the right, little round thing, mine has a round tag on it.
Methanolab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that may be. I just wanted to see if it is supposed to do that. I see the check valve on the tank. I was thinking maybe this hole (definately supposed to be there) vents the lines. Anybody else ever smell LP or know for sure that there is not supposed to be propane comming from the little square hole in the regulator body?

[o-0]

Imagine the brackets are the regulator and the little "o" is the white cap and the big "0" is the other cylinder perpendicular to the regulator. The square hole is at the dash between the two.
Methanolab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I contacted Marshall Brass today, they said it is not supposed to leak, it means the diaphram is busted and it can't regulate the pressure. So, I got one of the replacement Marshall 290's (replaces two-stage 260) at my local RV dealer for $19 and they threw in a free vent cover that is needed since it is mounted sideways. Good deal! Now I can stop buggin' about this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: