Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Icing" Help?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: "Icing" Help? Reply with quote

All,

Since Colin talked me into removing the "header wrap" from my heat exchangers, I was thinking I might put it to use on the intake manifold.

Has anybody done this?

Yes, it's a progressive and I understand it was a poor choice in a carb, but like everything else, hindsight is 20/20. I know this carb came on a few American cars in the past and the car manufacturers installed electric "pre heater" base plates under the carb to combat the problem.

So, if I wrap the intake in an attempt to insulate it, and get lucky in the boneyard with a pre-heater, things have to get better right Question

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could help you my man, but alas, i am a FI Guy. Had a carb on my bug, but of course, it had the heat riser tubes on the manifold.
Eric

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: I hear that Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Eventually, I think FI will be the way to go. All I need is to gain some confidence that this thing will last a while and some money.

Oh yeah, and the energy to do the work Very Happy

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want energy to do the work? Come to Massachusetts and stand out in the cold rain until you are shivering in the damp driving mists of truck tire spray. As your shivering gets more violent, pick up your tools and perform "tasks", you'll find energy. . . Cool
Colin
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Quick! Reply with quote

Quick, somebody hand Colin a diet Coke!

Perhaps a little early in the day for you to put down the coffee, but it reads like an emergency Laughing

It's not much better here at home, drizzle, grey and 54 currently.
That's why I'm welding outside and POR-ing inside.

I'd say we got lucky on your visit here, 72 and sunny.
My Guinea fowl seemed to like you and the goats learned that it's better to be a goat than to re-assemble greasy CV joints.

See ya,

Dr. Doolittle (no jokes please Very Happy )
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the FI Swap Post

To use a single carb. I have used the Weber.
There are a few steps that really can help.
Remove the intake tubes and coat the outside of the runners with Dip It . Do it twice so tha you have a nice thick coat.
Do not coat the head to maifold sealing area , the stud area or where the rubber couplers slide on.
This will insulate the runnuers.
Make sure you use the Steel bracket from the case to the base of the center mainfold.
Find a Pinto air cleaner that has the hot air on the snorkle, attach the tube from the tin behind #1 to it.
Find a base carb heater from a 1983 Blazer 2.8 this part goes between the carb and tha cenper manifold.
by doing these steps you will have much better drivabilty when it is Cold.

Last edited by Type4parts on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Yeehaaa! Reply with quote

Now that's EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Responses like that are what sharing on the web are all about.

Thank you "T4P"!

Paul
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncwarw wrote:
All,

So, if I wrap the intake in an attempt to insulate it, and get lucky in the boneyard with a pre-heater, things have to get better right Question

TIA

Type4parts wrote:
Remove the intake tubes and coat the outside of the runners with Dip It .

At last something I can contribute to. I'm a bus neophyte, but thermodynamics I know. Take all the advice about carb heating and preheating the intake air. One thing you don't want to do is insulate the the intake tubes. The icing that causes problems is INTERNAL, caused by adiabatic expansion; air cools when it flows through the venturi, under the right temp/humidity conditions you get ice that can cause stalling. Any heat you absorb through the intake tubes from the engine compartment helps the problem, not hurts. External ice is meaningless except as an indicator you have a problem.

I love the Pinto/Blazer solution!

Don
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I insulate the tubes is to keep the heat from the heads transfering up the intake tubes not to keep ice from forming on the outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type4parts wrote:
The reason I insulate the tubes is to keep the heat from the heads transfering up the intake tubes not to keep ice from forming on the outside.

That provides efficiency/performance benefits in warm weather, but is not helpful for icing, right?
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I feel that by keeping the Tube as warm as possible the air fuel will stay atomized thru the runners.

Last edited by Type4parts on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it. The conductive heat transfer directly through the metal in the tubes from the heads, and then insulating to keep from losing it to the air. I would think the air around the tubes (directly over the heads) would warm up pretty quickly, but in the absence of an experiment, I'll defer to your experience.

Don
Type4parts
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubes get the conductive heat.
If you feel the bare tubes after the engine has warmed up they are warm for about the first 6 to 8 inches from the heads beyond that they are cold to the touch.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Adiabatic", I like that. I think I'll try using it some time.

It is interesting and helpful to know why it happens. When Colin was here, we were talking about the icing thing and you're right, even with the engine, and by extension the surrounding air warm, the intake is cold to the touch.

Great suggestions all around. I'll make a junk-yard run in search of that "hot plate" soon.

Paul
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Even in warm weather the intake runners closest to the carb will be cool to the touch.

Air going through the venturi is compressed for that fraction of a second and then suddenly expands once it passes the restriction. Just like an aerosol can, sudden expansion of a gas drastically lowers the temperature.

So those long intake runners are a constant battle between the cold suddenly expanding air and the conductive heat from the heads.

This is why single carbs suck ass in cold weather. The duals on my bus are a signifigant improvement. FI would be even better.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a bad choice.

I have a set of Del Ortos in the closet with about ten miles on them.
Unfortunately, they sat around long enough to seize up and it's going to take some work to get them right again but I suspect it'll be worth it if I can ever find the time.

Thanks for the description. It reminds me of a thing I saw on TV once. They had these scientist looking into why there's that little cloud when you first open a bottle of beer. They found that when the outside air hit the beer, there was an instantaneous temperature drop to something like -450. Talk about a nice, cold beer! Very Happy
VWBusMan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: I have it too... Reply with quote

the Weber progressive that is. The PO's mechanic, if you can call him that, removed the FI and put the carb on my '79. Probably worked ok in CA but not so in the damp East. Anyway, after buying all the Pinto stuff with vacuum/temp valves, I just got a metal school lunchbox, put a rectangular filter in it and ran a hose from my heater box. Hose off in summer, otherwise I leave it on. Makes for a slow warm up but otherwise it runs much better. Hence, you should be able to do all this for about $25. Less if your kid won't miss his lunch box Smile And, that way you get to enjoy the sound of a carb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: