Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 westy golde sun roof
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

looking for more info on this bus. 58 pgsg has a 58 westy interior but has standard door pannels. Also has a golde sun roof almost identical to a 56-58 ghia and porsche 356. Bus has some strange holes, one in the cabinet, one in the back deck. Any info on the bus would be cool, I am not super verse in early westys.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Andy57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

First reaction is HACK. But that is damn clean looking and Golde would install sunroofs into anything. Be interesting to see if it’s a German delivery bus since Golde installation facilities were all over the place, but in the US less common. I’ve read only two one on the east coast one of the west. Pretty slick in any case.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Very cool bus. What is the width of the sunroof?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Hack is a rough word, but in this case it applies. This bus started life as a normal standard microbus, as seen by the headliner clips. All westfalia buses started as kombis, with hardboard headliner panels in the cab and no headliner in the rear (wood paneling installed)

looks like someone got really creative at one point in its life.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

The hole in the back deck, floor next to the wheel well, and the roof I think were provisions for a silo propane refrigerator - which would be era correct for that interior. I think at some point someone got rid of the fridge and shrunk the cabinet (or rebuilt it completely) to be flush with the rear hatch and have doors instead.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

It was 58 pgsg microbus that someone has upgraded at some point. Kind of interesting mods. The interior is 58 westy specific and I would venture as far to say that it may have been installed at the factory early in the buses life in order o have the correct Silo propane fridge vent and drains. I also see something looks similar to microbus style tent mounts on the roof, which may also suggest it was taken to westfalia as a used vehicle for conversion as the headliner would have been in place necessitating the use of the 6 sheet metal screw style mounts given the interior of roof was inaccessible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Also - do not throw anything away. There could be oddball stuff there relating to the camper kit.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

What a great find. If this was a German or Europe delivered bus when new it would have come with semaphores and not bullet front turn signals. Do the front bullet turn signals look factory or aftermarket? Do you see any signs that this bus had semaphores? Based on the pictures it looks like a bus that was obviously born as a standard and then taken to Westfalia factory for a conversion so it would have had to been in Germany.

I'm guessing this one is too old to have a m-code plate so order the birth certificate to know for sure where it was delivered when new.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

With those six screw tent mounts I always think SO22 since they only used those when a headliner was in place.

Last edited by srfndoc on Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

If you're not well versed in Westfalia, you will be shortly Laughing

The covered hole in the roof, luggage shelf, and floor (with bracket) are all definitely the ducting for a Silo refrigerator. My guess is that was installed at Westfalia. Ribbed rubber floor mat is original 58 Westy as well.

Either someone found a 58 Westy and salvaged the interior (not my first guess due to the Silo fridge holes) or a standard was sent by VW or owner driven to Westfalia for conversion. If the previous owner installed the kit he had access to two 58's b/c the fridge has been swapped out for the rear wardrobe cabinet.

I can't speak to when the sunroof was installed, because I no nothing about them, but it's not an impossibility that it COULD be Westfalia installed.

A birth certificate is a must for this bus. Possible it's an SO-22, and may be the earliest one known.

Just to echo others don't throw ANYTHING out.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Stocknazi wrote:
If you're not well versed in Westfalia, you will be shortly Laughing

The covered hole in the roof, luggage shelf, and floor (with bracket) are all definitely the ducting for a Silo refrigerator. My guess is that was installed at Westfalia. Ribbed rubber floor mat is original 58 Westy as well.

Either someone found a 58 Westy and salvaged the interior (not my first guess due to the Silo fridge holes) or a standard was sent by VW or owner driven to Westfalia for conversion. If the previous owner installed the kit he had access to two 58's b/c the fridge has been swapped out for the rear wardrobe cabinet.

I can't speak to when the sunroof was installed, because I no nothing about them, but it's not an impossibility that it COULD be Westfalia installed.

A birth certificate is a must for this bus. Possible it's an SO-22, and may be the earliest one known. Just to echo others don't throw ANYTHING out.

I have a ‘62 Ghia with a Golde sunroof installed. This was not a factory option, only Golde did these or companies that contracted with them outside of Germany. It’s a really complicated installation. The roof has to be modified and tooling used to form the corners. Sure is could have been hacked in from a passenger vehicle until you look at the bracing. It was clearly made for the bus. It looks similair to the bracing in my Ghia. It’s hard to tell from the pics but I can seen any stitching in the roof indicating the formers section was cut in from another car. But if there is welding on the sheet metal of the roof then it was hacked in. If not it was formed and only a shop with proper tooling could do it.
Is there any indication of a headliner installed on the sunroof, like fragments of the cloth?
As for the Westy interior, they would install one in anything back then. Remember the 62 panel at OCTO? Had a custom Westy interior with a subhatch with paperwork to prove it. It’s possible someone had Westfalia install the camper kit on a standard and had the sunroof installed by Golde. Expensive as hell to do, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2480395.jpg

This looks like the base of a Karmann Ghia seat.

This bus brings to mind a Mercedes 0319D, that a friend owns. Original owner purchased the base Mercedes, had a Dormobile top installed. Then designed an interior for Westfalia to fabricate.

A dream and money could build anything. Much like today with Emory in the 356 world.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Andy57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Here are the top measurements. There is no cutting or welding done to the roof skin.I can see both above and below, so there must have been some type of stamping to press the roof hole and edges. scraping back the paint on the sun roof shows it was palm green so likely installed early in the bus's life. I would believe it to be westy installed camping kit with the mount of detailed parts still present. I also think the rear cabinet doors are from the original kit and refitted on to this cabinet, being the doors are similar wood and latches to a 58 westy.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Hack is a rough word, but in this case it applies. This bus started life as a normal standard microbus, as seen by the headliner clips. All westfalia buses started as kombis, with hardboard headliner panels in the cab and no headliner in the rear (wood paneling installed)

looks like someone got really creative at one point in its life.

58 westy kit. modified at back cabinet.
99.9% of westy kits were installed in kombis... a very few were installed in microbuses. the six screw tent mount is normal for a microbus install. Can't say from here if it was a factory install, or a PO swapped it over.

the sunroof looks later to me... like a PO wanted a hatch top, and had a sunroof installed. I'm not up on sunroof minutia, but I thought beetle sunroofs were ragtops through 63, and 64 & later was the metal sunroof. Dunno about ghias.
It is not a bus sunroof.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

This bus is SWEET!

Whether its a factory install or a PO install, I would rock the heck out of this bus. It will look a lot better once you strip the paint off of the kit.

Having heat in the rear is a huge plus! I like how they utilize the heater log with the rear seat.

Can we get a picture of the front side of the rear seat bottom?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Sunroof bracing and drains are exactly how Golde would have done it. Looks pretty wide to be a ghia / 356 sunroof... Curvature is spot on too

And I agree that we can't say all Westys were kombi's. Clearly they were not
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Andy57 wrote:

Wow, wow, wow.

This bus deserves to be restored to retain as many of these features as possible.

Good luck with it!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

Andy57 wrote:

Here are the top measurements. There is no cutting or welding done to the roof skin.I can see both above and below, so there must have been some type of stamping to press the roof hole and edges. scraping back the paint on the sun roof shows it was palm green so likely installed early in the bus's life.

Those measurements are exactly that of a golde split bus steel sunroof. This is not a sunroof hacked in from a different model.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 westy golde sun roof Reply with quote

We need the “mind blown” emoji…
Pretty early in 2024 for the Monster Bus award…
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: