Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

18 inch wheels on my Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: 18 inch wheels on my Westy Reply with quote

I bought some 18 inch OZ wheels from an Audi. The front ones are on by way of a small spacer, and some longer lug bolts that a friend of mine had. The back wheels fit, and even clear the sliding door. However, I am not getting enough thread through the wheels. I need longer wheels studs. I have heard that Early 70's Porsche wheel studs will work. Do they have the same shoulder? If they have the same shoulder, diamiter, and what not, I have found that I can easily order any length I need. Any one ever do this before?
Thanks for your time
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjamgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am uncertain if the Porsche studs are the same head dia. and would like to know as well!

I purchased "drag race" studs from an outfit in England after running into the wall everywhere else (14mm? really? Why don't you just convert to (fill in blank) size?).

My problem is they are cut threads (not rolled) and the shank is a little too long for my application (Merc. "turbine" alloys). I cannot use the original steel wheels now without a spacer!

I got them from http://www.trackstore.co.uk/wstuds.html

Mike!
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics Please
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only picture I have so far. Sorry about the angle. I'm still trying to get the back studs, so the side view looks goofy anyway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope that works
'86 Westy w/ (18s)

Last edited by firebug on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Keating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to get the centers machined. If so where did you take them. Looks good. I will be interested to hear how they ride and how the noise is. I have some audi 15s for my westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have to have anything machined. As far as the ride goes, they ride smooth, and I don't get the famous tire flex sway. They turn all the way without scrubing. The extra rubber on the road helps allot. My front tires used to slide in the rain. I stop short. I have not been able to get the new tires to slide yet, even with new pads and rotors. It just hunkers down and stops. The tires that came on it are a little taller than it really needs to have the same outside diameter as stock. I tried to do the math to see how much the speedo is off, but the difference not noticable. My friend did the math to see what size tire would make the OS diamiter correct, but they would be very expensive if I could find them. Also, back to RIDE QUALITY, the lower profile tires would probably cause the ride to be rough, and I would run a higher risk of bending the rim.
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I get the back studs fugured out, I'll post all the findings.
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels are OZ Raicing F1 18"s. The tires are 225/40 ZR18. I found the wheel studs
https://www.volkscafe.com/vanagonparts.jsp?pa=p&p=855353469&ct=1793998628
I hope this helps.
'86 Westy w/ (18s)
mjamgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look a lot nicer than the ones I got from Britain. They still look as though once on the stock wheels will never fit again without spacers. Let us know how much the shoulder sticks out of the drum face when installed, please.

In a different post I noted that the manual goes into a lengthy description of the fact that your stock tires with the stock speedo will read 5% to 10% "optomistic" on purpose due to VW interpretations of DOT/EPA regulations.

Nice lookin wheels.

Mike!
firebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the back wheels on. She rides great. There is allot less sway, and she stops in rain now!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 Westy w/ (18s)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: