TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My new to me 60' DC Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
aa390392 Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:30 am

Earl, thanks for posting, sharing your new bae with all of us.and thanks for all the help and support you are receiving.keep it going
Thomas

obus Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:28 am

just read this for the 1st time. Nice looking Double Cab, Earl!

Cuņado Wear Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:38 am

aa390392 wrote: Earl, thanks for posting, sharing your new bae with all of us.and thanks for all the help and support you are receiving.keep it going
Thomas

obus wrote: just read this for the 1st time. Nice looking Double Cab, Earl!

Thanks Guys!

Cuņado Wear Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:50 am

I just got off phone with Morrie at Sliver lining Restorations in Oregon
And he was able to give me even more info on DC. Really nice guy answered
All my questions and more.
Knowing History of DC is just exciting as actually having it. looking around at it and seeing all the bumps and bruises now make sense and the mystery on how things got there and happen is solved.
Here is link to his company's page looks like he does some really nice work.
http://www.silverliningautorestoration.com/
Opps link doesn't show pic. his facebook does. Ill try to link those pictures later.
If scroll down threw pictures you find my DC and the work he did.

Cuņado Wear Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:09 pm

One of the things on the DC that bothered me the most was that PO installed rear safari window,I personally don't care for them so I couldn't wait to replace it. So that was my first project this weekend. A good friend paid me a surprise visit late Friday night. And after reading up on install procedures I took advantage of the extra hands. This job isn't a one person job.

forgive the dark picture.But here is before pic.

after removing what seemed like 100 small nuts and bolts safari window was out.

My helper and original back window to the DC ready to go in.

Man what a pain in the rear to install this window. but after about 45mins and three tries we finally got window in.
Ok next project I'm almost to embarrassed to admit but last week in my rush to just put motor in I noticed that there wasnt any engine seals. Dang it!
So a order was place for seals to Larry Reno at Wagon Werks.
Then first thing saturday morning after feeling good about back window install
I pulled motor and installed engine seals.

before

after
then re-installed motor

Also my friend brought me a deck lid prop that I so badly needed. Wrong color but it will work for now, I will repaint it and use as is until I can locate a og dove blue one.

While I was at it I adjusted valves and changed oil.
So today I decided to drive it down to 10'ft Dougs house and he doubled checked my work. We checked timing and played around with carbs a little.

After that dougfriend dove right back into electrical problems first by fixing dome light.

before picture. anyone see any problems?

after and not only did dougfriend fix it he threw in one of his reproduction light covers. Score!!
Then it was time for test drive. I was surprised to hear that Dougfriend had never driven a DC.. WHAT??? So I was honored that mines was his very first one.

So now Me and the DC have about 300 or so miles logged together and at this point I couldn't be happier with it. I cant wait until I can work on other things needed and when I say other I mean many other issues. But for now its running, stopping and all electrical works also it's much safer than when I took ownership of it.

Cuņado Wear Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:55 pm

After watching my Redskins take a beat down, I decided to take some of my anger out on the roof of the DC.
Before/After pictures thus far.

First two steps done. I'll polish roof tomorrow after work But pleased so far with results at this point. It should buff out more with wax.

clnvwe2 Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:32 am

Eastern Germans Approve EC!! Good work

Cuņado Wear Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:04 pm

clnvwe2 wrote: Eastern Germans Approve EC!! Good work
Thanks Chadwick! Allot of changes still to come. Think there's not?

andre b Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:47 am

looking more like a great bus..good work bro..keep at it.

Cuņado Wear Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:02 pm

andre b wrote: looking more like a great bus..good work bro..keep at it.
Thanks Andre. Slowly but surely I will turn this DC around.

andre b Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Cuņado Wear wrote: andre b wrote: looking more like a great bus..good work bro..keep at it.
Thanks Andre. Slowly but surely I will turn this DC around.
yes.....double cabs are my all time favorites..have fun with it buddy!

Cuņado Wear Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Decided to patch this hole tonight as it was just letting dirt come right into engine bay. Before/After pictures

This is just a temporary patch until I get around to replacing corners with either good used metal or new replacements. That's why you see patch is just tacked in, so when time comes I just will need to grind down welds.

pyrOman Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:05 am

Cuņado Wear wrote: Decided to patch this hole tonight as it was just letting dirt come right into engine bay. Before/After pictures

This is just a temporary patch until I get around to replacing corners with either good used metal or new replacements. That's why you see patch is just tacked in, so when time comes I just will need to grind down welds.

Should apply some seam sealer on that too! :wink:

Cuņado Wear Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:21 am

pyrOman wrote: Cuņado Wear wrote: Decided to patch this hole tonight as it was just letting dirt come right into engine bay. Before/After pictures

Should apply some seam sealer on that too! :wink:
Yes this is on my list of things to do this weekend on DC Pyro.. you think it isn't? :D

pyrOman Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:41 am

Cuņado Wear wrote: pyrOman wrote: Should apply some seam sealer on that too! :wink:
Yes this is on my list of things to do this weekend on DC Pyro.. you think it isn't? :D

I'm just concerned. Think I'm not? 8)

Cuņado Wear Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:13 pm

Didn't really do much on DC this weekend. I spent most of it driving it.
But one thing I did notice is that this thing is really noisy inside. I realized a few reason why.
1.Rear divider panels missing
2.Transmission is mounted on solid mount.
3. Rear panels not installed.
On my 15 I insulated behind everything I could and the bus is super quite.
So I decided to use same stuff in DC.
I realized that the panels covering the gas tank needs some sort of bracet on the bottom That I'm missing. So I will do some more research on that.
Mean while I insulated behind rear panels and in gas tank area.
Until I can locate parts needed,I had an extra large car cover I stuffed in and around gas tank area and also under back seat I threw down a couple of moving blankets.It Made A HUGE DIFFERANCE! I aslo this weekend started replacing black screws holding panels on with correct ones.
Some Before/After pics

I did get some help with exchanging screws out.

RHD Notch Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Are these the pieces you're missing Cunado?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1905320

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1298646

Cuņado Wear Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:56 am

RHD Notch wrote: Are these the pieces you're missing Cunado?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1905320

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1298646

Gary, Thanks for links. The bottom link is the part I need and will be placing order asap. Now I just need to find panels. I wonder if anyone re-pops those?

ronjonlasvegas Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 am

I think this is the only guy that is making new re-pop fuel tank divider panels.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1840705

He is a good guy, I sent him a hard to find double cab third door striker plate so he could re-produce that for us double cab owners.

Cuņado Wear Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:49 am

ronjonlasvegas wrote: I think this is the only guy that is making new re-pop fuel tank divider panels.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1840705

He is a good guy, I sent him a hard to find double cab third door striker plate so he could re-produce that for us double cab owners.

Thanks for the link. What was the shipping lead time like?