TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2.0 ABA swap going turbo Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
rogertj Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:09 am

joetiger wrote: My ABA has a bolt-on Neuspeed Supercharger. Super simple. It's not as powerful as a turbo but gets around well enough. The superchargers are rare these days, but do pop up on Ebay and Vortex from time to time.

ETA: Here's the definitive Vanagon ABA turbo thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

Thanks, Joetiger for the input I checked the thread that you suggested and it is definitely the ultimate ABA turbo thread. Yes I agree with you the supercharger is a very rare commodity these days this was an almost 22-year-old application I'm going to have to think on a new set up for mine because I already have the ABA

To have a conversion from zero it's going to cost me down here at least 3500 dollars talking about the chevy Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 because there are more parts for it, I really don't think I can spend that much on a turbo BUT I have read the turbo threads and videos and almost everyone that puts a turbo into there engine has to change rods and pistons so have to make my calculations right to know whats the cheapest alternative and have does extra HP that I want.

It would be great to find an engine down here with a turbo that clears the engine cover. I've heard of the 1.8 turbos from the 1999 Passat if I am not mistaking but does were not imported into Mexico because of the VIN number they were not produced in North America. Don't know if other VW vehicles with turbo can be also added to the list of compatible engines with the adaptor plate for the ABA that I have.

definitely have to do some financial planning on this one.

By the way, Vanagon nut I haven't started the rebuild yet I'm waiting on some cash to start it. I'll share the pics once I begin

dkoesyncro Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 am

The OBD1 ABA has forged interals (93-95). This is strong stuff, the latter cast is good but obviously limited to how much boost you plan on! Either OBD1 or OBD2 is good for 8psi of boost in stock form and 10-12psi using stock management, but we're now bleeding lines between forged internals, stacked or thicker head gasket and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator! 12psi+ I'd start to look into all forged, lowered compression pistons and suitable management/tuning!

The later engines, 99+ w/ aluminum oil pan, do require a different adapter that bolts to the oil pan as well. The block doweling is the same. If you were to modify I'm sure you can use your adapter plate.

rogertj Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 pm

dkoesyncro wrote: The OBD1 ABA has forged interals (93-95). This is strong stuff, the latter cast is good but obviously limited to how much boost you plan on! Either OBD1 or OBD2 is good for 8psi of boost in stock form and 10-12psi using stock management, but we're now bleeding lines between forged internals, stacked or thicker head gasket and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator! 12psi+ I'd start to look into all forged, lowered compression pistons and suitable management/tuning!

The later engines, 99+ w/ aluminum oil pan, do require a different adapter that bolts to the oil pan as well. The block doweling is the same. If you were to modify I'm sure you can use your adapter plate.

Thanks dkoesyncro, yes I've heard that about the obd1 type, don't remember what I currently have compared to the 1997 block that I bought hope to have the 93-95 rods and crank on mine to interchange them. And by the way congratulations on your build, it was outstanding! :D

about going 99+ don't know if I understood correctly, I could use my adaptor plate for the ABA ok. But need an additional adapter for the oil pan?

On the VW 99+ engines what are my options? (now that I have sold my subaru donor car) is there any turbo or GTI or whatever that would fit under the engine hood?

I haven't done much research on VW motors really, only read about the 1.8T on the Passat but I find a little bit difficult on the piping for the intercooler...

What I researched was only on Subarus and today on Ecotec (2.2 and 2.4)

the guy that did my conversion 10 years ago told me that the drive-by cable Ecotec was a simpler setup and said that the 2.4 had more electronics to it but what doesn't these days... dont know if it requires aditional programing in the ECU once its swaped.

I did my research on the Ecotec (considering that I'm in Mexico and there are tons of parts for these cars here) and there are tons of options out there of donor vehicles

I was looking info for the ecotec wiring harness but didnt find much about it, comparing it to the subaru swap that theres tons of information for the harness out there.

My "future" sensor :D is telling me to go to the ecotec world because of the parts available for that motor here but dont know what VW motor would be a good option that gives me adittional power, nothing to crazy just looking for some 170 hp or around that, something that doesnt brake my manual tranny and that I can find parts for. What years of Jettas, or Golfs or what ever VW conversions are out there that could work for me? Theres a lot of jettas and golfs around here also. from time to time I see a GTI but to tell you the truth im not famiiar with anything outside "my bubble"

rogertj Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:12 pm

I have just found this information on VW's turbos and if I recall someone wrote to me in the past that it had to be 97-99 passat and this includes longitudinally mounted motor

The question would be could it be done with a 2001-2005 also longitudinally mounted

Or it doesnt really matter?

The down side of this for me is that is also a car that was not marketed for Mexico so no spare parts for this here...

What about the transverselly mounted? Can it be done? because the Jetta and Beetle we have tons here in mexico

1.8 T
Volkswagen's ubiquitous 1.8 T engine, wholly developed by Audi, also known as the 1.8 20vT, has seen many improvements over the years and is used in many Volkswagen vehicles. It is sometimes mounted longitudinally while at other times mounted transversely. Its cylinder head contains five valves per cylinder–a total of 20 valves, and all versions use a turbocharger.

ID code- AEB
1.8-litre T, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp) — 1997–1999 Volkswagen Passat (longitudinally mounted)
ID code- ATW
1.8-litre T, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp)? — 2000 Volkswagen Passat (longitudinally mounted)
ID code- AGU, APH, AWD, AWU, AWV, AWW, BKF
1.8-litre T, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp) — 1998–present Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen New Beetle (transversely mounted)
ID code- AWM
1.8-litre T, 125 kilowatts (170 PS; 168 hp) — 2001–2005 Volkswagen Passat (longitudinally mounted)
ID code- AWP, BNU
1.8-litre T, 132 kilowatts (179 PS; 177 hp) — 2001–present Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen New Beetle (transversely mounted)
ID code- AMU, BEA
1.8-litre T, 165 kilowatts (224 PS; 221 hp) — 1999–2005 Audi TT Quattro (transversely mounted)

dkoesyncro Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:41 pm

Yes any VW inline 4 cylinder will work with your adapter, the later 99+(except the AEB, this is built on the early block) require the latest adapter for the oil pan. The aluminum oil pan has provisions to bolt to the bell housing and the new adapter plates being made copied this so it'll match up like oem. Id bet that your plate will still work? 99+ was the transition from going drive by cable throttle body to throttle by wire, electronic controlled throttle. Not really more complicated just more wires.

Engine swaps are a challenge and usually a balance of compromises. Mine doesn't fit under the lid anymore. I'm going to have to make a modifications. My old set up did, I had a custom intake manifold and a modified valve cover. This being said the ecotec hangs lower and sits higher from what I've heard. The low hanging engine can be negated with a shallow oil pan etc.

If skills and budget are limited, start small, get your engine running on fuel injection. Add a cam etc...but dollar to power ratio, a turbo is hard to beat.

Thank you for the sentiment, my thread is full of revisions, this is how uncharted projects go. The Samba is here to help and my hats off to Niel, he's the documented ABA man!

rogertj Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:52 pm

dkoesyncro wrote: Yes any VW inline 4 cylinder will work with your adapter, the later 99+(except the AEB, this is built on the early block) require the latest adapter for the oil pan.

No wonder why they were telling me the passat 97-99 it has the AEB engine...

dkoesyncro wrote: Thank you for the sentiment, my thread is full of revisions, this is how uncharted projects go. The Samba is here to help and my hats off to Niel, he's the documented ABA man!

I know... both of you have made wonderfull contributions.

As uncharted my post may seem by followers, this morning I was researching about Ecotec but ended the day discovering that the transversally mounted 1.8T can be done as well. Just re-read a thread that I created back in June hahahahaha :D didnt even remember about it!!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721046&highlight=

Vanagon Nut Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:58 pm

dkoesyncro wrote: Yes any VW inline 4 cylinder will work with your adapter, the later 99+(except the AEB, this is built on the early block) require the latest adapter for the oil pan. The aluminum oil pan has provisions to bolt to the bell housing and the new adapter plates being made copied this so it'll match up like oem. Id bet that your plate will still work? 99+ was the transition from going drive by cable throttle body to throttle by wire, electronic controlled throttle. Not really more complicated just more wires.

Thank you for the sentiment, my thread is full of revisions, this is how uncharted projects go. The Samba is here to help and my hats off to Niel, he's the documented ABA man!

"documented" ? Maybe, more like "certifiable" LOL. ;)

Those details on the oil pan are interesting.

I can't recall if rogertj is using or plans to use diesel Vanagon engine carriers but unless they're modified (and maybe even then?), those won't work with the later model year engines. e.g. the AEG.

rogertj Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:24 pm

Vanagon Nut wrote: I can't recall if rogertj is using or plans to use diesel Vanagon engine carriers but unless they're modified (and maybe even then?), those won't work with the later model year engines. e.g. the AEG.

Hey Vanagon Nut! I'm using the stock mustache engine carrier bar with a fabricated engine support plate attached to the block made by the guy who did my conversion 10+ years ago this engine support plate is made of 1/4" plate and just some holes that go to the block and the part that goes to the mustache bar has some kind of cylinder extensions that go to the bar with big bolts, ill share some photos once its disassembled step by step vanagonnut style :D

If I decide to go to the later engines (99+) route ill have to fabricate something to carry that motor. I have some welding skills that can do an engine carrier that lets me work on my motor like on the belt area etc.

The current setup that I have I cant replace a belt without unbolting the engine carrier... yeah I know its kind of PIA...

Vanagon Nut Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:02 pm

rogertj wrote:

Hey Vanagon Nut! I'm using the stock mustache engine carrier bar with a fabricated engine support plate attached to the block made by the guy who did my conversion 10+ years ago this engine support plate is made of 1/4" plate and just some holes that go to the block and the part that goes to the mustache bar has some kind of cylinder extensions that go to the bar with big bolts, ill share some photos once its disassembled step by step vanagonnut style :D

If I decide to go to the later engines (99+) route ill have to fabricate something to carry that motor. I have some welding skills that can do an engine carrier that lets me work on my motor like on the belt area etc.

The current setup that I have I cant replace a belt without unbolting the engine carrier... yeah I know its kind of PIA...

I understand regarding timing belt replacement. My second swap has the muffler closer to engine than first swap.

That's great that you can weld. Big advantage. I think I understand what you mean regarding the 1/4" plate location; I started building a carrier for my 15* swap that would use the bolt holes on driver side of block closer to pulley end of engine.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Neil.

rogertj Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:34 am

Well, guys its been almost 5 months since my last post and apparently I have an engine to install. Its a 1995 VW 2.0 ABA Jetta with fuel injection, the donor car has the complete harness or it seems to have it all with 110,000 miles on it, it was last driven like 1 year ago and as the junkyard worker was telling me that specific car drove in the lot.

I asked some questions to Neil (Vanagon Nut) about his 2.0 conversion and reading everything that you guys suggested I will go for that route.

Some things are missing from the donor car like the ECU, water outlet from head (the one at the end of the head) water hoses, but the harness it seems intact, it was surprising for me to connect a battery to the car and the dashboard turned on!

so can't wait for that 1995 fuel injected in my van. I know it will not be simple as I have to fabricate some parts as the harness and probably motor mounts but maybe it works with the one I currently have until I get my hands on the diesel engine carriers. Also, the exhaust and the parts for it but ill look if I can get a cheap option down here in TJ for the exhaust before Ill go fancy on the components.

I also need to rotate a little my current adaptor plate (made out of to plates welded together) to the left to see if I'll have more clearance to the engine cover and with that in hand a better pick up tube for the oil pan and possibly the diesel oil pan too.

Good thing I have every component that goes connected to the crankshaft pulleys and belts for this conversion because its a pain in the but to find parts now in days for these motors.

The ECU I found that 2 wrecking yards have it in stock just want to be really sure that it is the appropriate one for my manual donor car OBD1 and it will run, of course until I have the harness ready (whooooopss) :shock:

Because you guys advised me that the 93-95 rods were forged on this motor ill adapt a turbo, later on, can't wait for that. Just a mild one not to brake the engine as doeksyncro was proposing.

I will keep you posted. Today I'm planning to go for the engine. Wish me luck!

Butcher Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 am

Forged components are always ideal, but unless you are going to push 400hp and 7k rpm, you really do not need it. The ABA is a strong engine cast or forged.

Vanagon Nut Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:05 am

rogertj wrote: I have an engine to install. Its a 1995 VW 2.0 ABA Jetta with fuel injection, the donor car has the complete harness or it seems to have it all

Some things are missing from the donor car like the ECU, .... but the harness it seems intact, it was surprising for me to connect a battery to the car and the dashboard turned on!

I also need to rotate a little my current adaptor plate (made out of to plates welded together) to the left to see if I'll have more clearance to the engine cover and with that in hand a better pick up tube for the oil pan and possibly the diesel oil pan too.

Good thing I have every component that goes connected to the crankshaft pulleys and belts for this conversion because its a pain in the but to find parts now in days for these motors.

The ECU I found that 2 wrecking yards have it in stock just want to be really sure that it is the appropriate one for my manual donor car OBD1 and it will run, of course until I have the harness ready (whooooopss) :shock:

Roger. This information may not apply to VW's sold in Mexico but....

Part number for a non AC accessory (alternator/PS pump) bracket: 037 903 143 c image of bracket is below. The non AC bracket locates the alternator lower (closer to oil pan) so it won't interfere with the engine cover

Portions of emails I posted to a VAG engine conversion email list regarding Motronic 2.9 (OBD1) removed from VW's located in Canada. Those VW's were likely sold new in the Canadian market.

If searching for an ECU, search up to 1996 or maybe 1997.

Neil.

On 9/30/19, Neil <[email protected]> wrote:

> My 2.0 ABA engine Vanagons are OBD1 .... I *think* 1996 was a
> transition year for OBD1 to OBD2
>
> I recently removed, purchased, 2 used ECU's. One from a 1996 Jetta.
> Not certain of model year of the other car. One ECU does not have a VW
> part number but both have the same Bosch part number.
>
> Images of label from each ECU. One is made in 1997 ?
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y2nzrywu
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y5zwmv2n
>

>
> Each ECU came from an engine with IAC valve, blue coloured EVAP purge
> valve, NON motorized throttle body with TPS and wiring harness etc for
> both appeared original.

> Ross Tech VAG software show it and
> other ECU (which also works fine) having the same part number. P. 4
> here shows the info:
>
> http://www.vaglinks.com/docs/catalogues/vw-audi_ecu_modelspartnumbers.pdf
> I've never seen inside an OBD2 ECU but here's an image showing
> a 1993 year OBD1 ECU and the "new" 1997 [manufacture date] ECU. They look the same to me:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y3paarxq
>
> So AFAIK, these ECU's from a 1996 and possibly 1997 Jetta are OBD1.

khughes Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 am

rogertj wrote: so can't wait for that 1995 fuel injected in my van. I know it will not be simple as I have to fabricate some parts as the harness and probably motor mounts but maybe it works with the one I currently have until I get my hands on the diesel engine carriers.

I will keep you posted. Today I'm planning to go for the engine. Wish me luck!

Good luck Roger! As much fun as the turbo is, I think you'll find the ABA with fuel injection to be surprisingly fun to drive all on it's own as well :lol:

rogertj Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks guys for the motivation (speeches and part numbers) lol!!!

Here goes the photo gallery of the day !!! I'll deal with the start of the conversion tomorrow right now is burger time and I'm cheating on my diet... Lol! Sunny day at the junkyard good thing a good fellow helped me out dismantle the honored donor car. Let's feel and throw positive vibes at that motor and accessories :D

[/img]

tristessa Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:14 pm

The #19 relay is a wiper delay.

Just mentioning it so you don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure out where in the fuel injection system it's supposed to go.

joetiger Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 am

Whoa, an exhaust manifold heat shield? I had no idea that such a thing existed! Added to my u-pull-it list.

rogertj Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:16 am

Butcher wrote: Forged components are always ideal, but unless you are going to push 400hp and 7k rpm, you really do not need it. The ABA is a strong engine cast or forged.

Yeah, many have said that to me but no, only a couple of dozens of HP are needed :D After I finished installing this build I will think in turbo. But before that will put my lazy quarantine ass to work! :P

rogertj Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 am

Quote: Roger. This information may not apply to VW's sold in Mexico but....

Part number for a non AC accessory (alternator/PS pump) bracket: 037 903 143 c image of bracket is below. The non AC bracket locates the alternator lower (closer to oil pan) so it won't interfere with the engine cover

Yes I think I have that plate set up in my current conversion so that will be handy however I dont know if it will clear the distance for the serpentine belt because It does not look identical to the photo that you have shared, I hope so. I need to check :shock:

Quote: Portions of emails I posted to a VAG engine conversion email list regarding Motronic 2.9 (OBD1) removed from VW's located in Canada. Those VW's were likely sold new in the Canadian market.

If searching for an ECU, search up to 1996 or maybe 1997.

Neil.

On 9/30/19, Neil <[email protected]> wrote:

> My 2.0 ABA engine Vanagons are OBD1 .... I *think* 1996 was a
> transition year for OBD1 to OBD2
>
> I recently removed, purchased, 2 used ECU's. One from a 1996 Jetta.
> Not certain of model year of the other car. One ECU does not have a VW
> part number but both have the same Bosch part number.
>
> Images of label from each ECU. One is made in 1997 ?
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y2nzrywu
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y5zwmv2n
>

>
> Each ECU came from an engine with IAC valve, blue coloured EVAP purge
> valve, NON motorized throttle body with TPS and wiring harness etc for
> both appeared original.

> Ross Tech VAG software show it and
> other ECU (which also works fine) having the same part number. P. 4
> here shows the info:
>
> http://www.vaglinks.com/docs/catalogues/vw-audi_ecu_modelspartnumbers.pdf
> I've never seen inside an OBD2 ECU but here's an image showing
> a 1993 year OBD1 ECU and the "new" 1997 [manufacture date] ECU. They look the same to me:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y3paarxq
>
> So AFAIK, these ECU's from a 1996 and possibly 1997 Jetta are OBD1.

Ok got it! I will open my eyes and knowledge to this new world of electronic/fuel injected engines, I have lots of studying to do :shock: :D

rogertj Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 am

tristessa wrote: The #19 relay is a wiper delay.

Just mentioning it so you don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure out where in the fuel injection system it's supposed to go.

Jesus Christ! I was about to put that it like the main relay of my engine! :D I definitely need a manual! :shock:

rogertj Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:41 am

joetiger wrote: Whoa, an exhaust manifold heat shield? I had no idea that such a thing existed! Added to my u-pull-it list.

The "Whoa" expression is one of my favorites "Al Pacino like the retired blind Cournel movie" can't remember the name right now :D

Yes, dont know wich heat shield are you refering to exactly but hope to have al that installed in case it doesnt interfere with that the conversion, plus I have to think turbo in the future so dont know if that will help or not but I dont mean to change the subject of the conversation at this point in time (thats me thinking out loud like if I could do my evrything in one day=conversion+turbo lol!)

If I dont need it I will be glad to send it out to you! Ill exchange it for some premium mentorship in zoom lol!