TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: best bearings Page: 1, 2  Next
MitchS046 Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 am

fully building an engine but need new bearings. I'm buying two sets, 1 for mock up (cheap) 1 for running it (good pair). I was wondering what brand is best for which bearing. saw a pair ok Mahle that were the cheapest for the cam and for rods they were the most expensive. why am I buying tho pairs? when I took the engine apart I lost those bearings and the case probably needs to be line bored. thus one pair for mock up.

Lingwendil Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:39 am

I was recommended by a few very skilled builders here to go for Silverline for my mains, and I went clevite for rod bearings, mahle for cam bearings.

Why not use the same for mockup that you do in the build? Why do the same work twice?

jpaull Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:43 am

Lingwendil wrote: I was recommended by a few very skilled builders here to go for Silverline for my mains, and I went clevite for rod bearings, mahle for cam bearings.

Why not use the same for mockup that you do in the build? Why do the same work twice?

X2 100%

MitchS046 Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:00 am

Lingwendil wrote:

Because my engine needs to be line bored but i want to do a first mock up before i send it of to the machine shop

Lingwendil Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:14 am

Maybe just clean up some not-trashed old used ones then?

Are you mocking up to measure deck first?

Honestly unless you need to take measurements first I would hold off until after it's bored- but if you do need to install some first they all cost so similar that I would just buy whichever name brand is cheapest for you, preferring Silverline or Mahle.

MitchS046 Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am

Lingwendil wrote: Maybe just clean up some not-trashed old used ones then?

Are you mocking up to measure deck first?

Honestly unless you need to take measurements first I would hold off until after it's bored- but if you do need to install some first they all cost so similar that I would just buy whichever name brand is cheapest for you, preferring Silverline or Mahle.

Yes mocking up to measure deck height before machining. For the mock up the cheapest will be used but was wondering what the best bearings in the business where.

Lingwendil Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:24 am

Based on some feedback from a couple folks on my build thread here-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8826213

I went with Silverline. They are steel-backed for strength and look quite nice. Nice snug fit in my freshly machined case.

Mahle would probably be a good second choice, or NOS ones if you can find them affordably.

Ohio Tom Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 am

No point in having a set for mock-up since that is the reason you do mock-ups, to test the bearing fit....

Also, be warned when buying Rod bearings.
Clevite and others commonly use Aluminum in the bearings now (instead of Tri-metal (Babbit).

for Clevite, the CB610A is Aluminum.. the CB610P is Tri-metal if you can find any.

Very few folks make the 2" Chevy bearings in tri-metial

ACL (offshore) still makes the 2" in a Tri-Metal bearing. Although they have to be narrowed up to work. It's a big PIA, but the only choice in a HIPO motor with 2" chevy rods.
Unless you can find old stock of Clevite CB610P.

Lingwendil Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 am

Ohio Tom wrote: No point in having a set for mock-up since that is the reason you do mock-ups, to test the bearing fit....

Also, be warned when buying Rod bearings.
Clevite and others commonly use Aluminum in the bearings now (instead of Tri-metal (Babbit).

for Clevite, the CB610A is Aluminum.. the CB610P is Tri-metal if you can find any.

Very few folks make the 2" Chevy bearings in tri-metial

ACL (offshore) still makes the 2" in a Tri-Metal bearing. Although they have to be narrowed up to work. It's a big PIA, but the only choice in a HIPO motor with 2" chevy rods.
Unless you can find old stock of Clevite CB610P.

For my build, I went with these- .25mm over on my rod journals-
https://www.piersideparts.net/CB780P-25.html
(I bought them from mahle directly but don't see them listed now)

MitchS046 Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Ohio Tom wrote: No point in having a set for mock-up since that is the reason you do mock-ups, to test the bearing fit....

I get that but I need to mock the engine up before machining to first bigger size as the case now is still std size. and I lost the old bearings so they are out of the question.

jeffrey8164 Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:08 pm

I used Kolbenschmidt.
I had some that had Made in Germany on the box.
Are they shit now?

Chickensoup Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:28 pm

what do yall think bout NOS german vw cam bearings? any one tried them? thanks

Pruneman99 Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:47 pm

Chickensoup wrote: what do yall think bout NOS german vw cam bearings? any one tried them? thanks

If they were stored right they will probably be fine, but single thrust.

The Silverline double thrust are shit.

The Mahle double thrust are perfect.

Your results may vary.

Chickensoup Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 pm

but, if you are running straight cuts, then will a single thrust shell be alright? thanks

vwracerdave Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:11 pm

Yes with straight cut cam gears you DO NOT need the double thrust cam bearings. Everybody uses them anyhow because they are only a couple dollars more.

jfdestree Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 pm

Is Sealed Power a good brand?

I saw them from time to time and it looks like a reputable brand from Federal Mogul, but doesn't seem popular with flat4 aircooled folks?

Does anybody got experience with?

Chickensoup Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:57 pm

Are you talking about chevy rod bearings?

MitchS046 Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Are you talking about chevy rod bearings?

no Stock type 1

Chickensoup Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:05 pm

So ahhhhhh, why do you need two samba accounts? :lol:

MitchS046 Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Chickensoup wrote: So ahhhhhh, why do you need two samba accounts? :lol:
I don't have two accounts why?