Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex under fridge
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen numbers come from some charts we use here at work. When you put screens over air inlets or outlets it greatly affects the performance because of the reduction in open area. I don't know how sensitive the Propex is to air pressures on the fan side though. It sounds like it isn't a problem.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This might be a good idea only if the Propex unit can handle reduced airflow. The wire screening reduces the free area of the opening by 70-75%. That means the grill has 25% of the open area it had without the screening. This will make it noisier and make the fan work a lot harder to get air into the unit. It probably significantly reduces the airflow. The units are specified for 60-80 CFM which is already a lot through the small opening. Your performance may be greatly affected and the unit may act funny or get a fault happening.

A valid point, though it is one I thought of when I was installing the screens, so I did a little test at the time. Not a terribly scientific test mind you, just an "ear" test.

I fired up the heater with the screen off and then installed the screen while it was running. I didn't notice any change in the way the unit sounded, as in a change in pitch due to restricted airflow would sound, so I felt confident that the install was safe. It certainly doesn't make it any louder.

The screen gives me the peace of mind to know that no large particles or debris will be pulled into the unit. I've not experienced any fault codes or odd operations. This one has seen more than 40 operating cycles with the screen in place including a few times the past two weeks at +6500 feet.

It's not a very fine screen mesh for what it's worth, just keeps out the critters mostly.

So far so good. I'll report back if anything comes up.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard

"It's not expensive, its priceless" -Unknown
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think a screen over the outlet would be needed.
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a really basic question about this installation, but regardless:

I like the idea of this setup. I think I understand that you're using an inverter to convert 110V to 12V for when the van is "plugged in" somewhere, since this fridge just runs on 12V. And for when you're not plugged in, it's just off the battery/ies, as in the original installation, with direct 12V>12V.

What about propane? Are you switching your original fridge propane line to run the Propex, with the fridge just working on electricity? What happens to the outside vent for the original fridge? That was an "outflow," rather than an "inflow," right, for when it ran on propane? And presumably you want all the "outflow" for heat in the van. Do you just shut off the original venting system?

Thanks!

---
Kathy
88 Westy
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more islander... wrote:
I think I understand that you're using an inverter to convert 110V to 12V for when the van is "plugged in" somewhere, since this fridge just runs on 12V. And for when you're not plugged in, it's just off the battery/ies, as in the original installation, with direct 12V>12V.

Yes, I have a Xantrex Freedom 1000w inverter/charger hardwired to aux battery system and 110v outlets. It is a big unit, not for everybody, smaller inverters can do the same.

What about propane? Are you switching your original fridge propane line to run the Propex, with the fridge just working on electricity?

Yes

What happens to the outside vent for the original fridge? That was an "outflow," rather than an "inflow," right, for when it ran on propane? And presumably you want all the "outflow" for heat in the van. Do you just shut off the original venting system?

You are talking about about the original flue vent for the stock Dometic fridge when used on propane mode. I blocked it. Look at the pictures of hardware included in this kit below, they include a block-off plate to cap the flue vent. You can do your own.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4361&category_id=&category_parent_id=

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Thanks, Madspaniard.

So, looking at the $120 Gowesty kit, the only parts really necessary that can't be fabricated by a reasonable woodworker are the (what looks like) galvanized circular piece to fit inside the hole where the vent is, plus some attaching nuts and bolts.

You don't need the shelf, if you're going to put another fridge in, and presumably you don't need a cosmetically attractive "vinyl-covered rear panel."

Right?

---
Kathy

Edit: Sorry, I missed the "You can do your own."
AZlab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Propex does suck in dust Reply with quote

Just my experience, but mine is mounted where the void used to be next to the water tank, same as Frank C. up in Canada. The outlet is below the 110v outlet. I replaced the top cover of the Propex with heavy perforated aluminum and drill several large (1") holes thru the partition into where the fridge used to be. Nothing there now but 2 slideout shelves and portapot, so lots of air circulation (I think so anyway). But after using Propex several months I took a close look at the circuit board in the air stream and there was a light layer of dust. It will be worse if you have a dog as I used to (large Lab). So now I occasionally CAREFULLY vacuum the inside of the heater.
Jerry
P.S. Propex works greaat for drying out soaking wet boots!
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Mspaniard!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
ddwbeagles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Propex Reply with quote

Awesome write up & very professional looking installation. Thank you for sharing it with us.

71 Ghia Coupe autostick
78 Westy
86 Vanagon Weekender

hazetguy wrote:
i'm going to stock up on search buttons
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Thanks, Madspaniard.

So, looking at the $120 Gowesty kit, the only parts really necessary that can't be fabricated by a reasonable woodworker are the (what looks like) galvanized circular piece to fit inside the hole where the vent is, plus some attaching nuts and bolts.

You don't need the shelf, if you're going to put another fridge in, and presumably you don't need a cosmetically attractive "vinyl-covered rear panel."

Kathy, GoWesty will sell you the galvanized plate by itself if you don't want the entire kit. I think they charged me something like $8, but it has been a while. I had to call and talk to someone about it. I didn't want to try to manufacture one, and it fit perfectly. I pulled the old fridge and just put the cabinet door back on while I'm waiting to put the new fridge in over the winter.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Write Up Reply with quote

Installation of Propex HS2000 under 12v/110v fridge (Truckfridge TF49 or Isotherm CR49)

Inspiration:

1) I believe Samba member Racerrojo was the first one to document installation of a Propex at the bottom of the stock fridge cabinet although he did not install a fridge, he just converted the available space above into a cabinet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]

2) Samba member Beetsport installed a Propex HS 2800 under his Truckfridge but on the other side of the cabinet. No documentation of this install on The Samba but he was very helpfull with some questions I had.

So I just needed to combine these two great predecessors for my own project. My Propex was originally installed under the rear bench seat. I now have a 110a/h deep cycle marine aux battery in there. I covered the hole left by the Propex exhaust on the side of the bench seat with the installation of a Propane/CO detector that fits perfect and it is hardwired to the aux battery with an on/off switch. I will post a pic later.

This is the Propane/CO detector I used.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/atwood-dual-gas-alarm.htm

My fridge is the Isotherm CR49 unit. I had previously installed this fridge replacing the stock Dometick so I just pulled it out of the kitchen cabinet again. All the electrical wires and aux battery/aux fuse panel/inverter/charger work had been done already. See this thread for more info.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359831&highlight=fridge

Once you have the cabinet space empty and available for work, first thing is to measure the cabinet space, your fridge and the Propex. It is a tight fit. If yu read the Propex manual, they recommend you leave about one inch of space around your Propex unit. I think with this install the vertical space left between the fridge and the Propex is close to half an inch if you remove the fridge rubber legs but don't remove the fridge surround mounting frame. If you are comfortable with that, move on. I made sure I tried to compensate for that allowing ventilation of the area, I mean, the Propex has plenty of space in there to cool off, it is only that one area on top of it that is less than the recomended inch and this cabinet is ventilated thru the original grates on the side of the cabinet and on the back by the window. I have also thought about adding a fan in that area at the bottom of the cabinet to improve ventilation, if I could only figure out how to wire the fan to the Propex so that when the Propex is on the fan also comes on....plan B is a separate switch for the fan. I have this fan around in the house I could use
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3470&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Moving on.

How to mount the Propex. I am going to take advantage of some pics from Racerrojo, he did all the hard work

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20

Be careful with this pic above. Make sure the 8.5" shown above in the pic is changed to a 7.5" for the Propex inlet to clear the outside bottom van's frame rail.

self explanatory pics from Racerrojo, not much to add here but ask if you have questions. Follow the Propex manual for this install. I drilled a pilot hole first to make sure the holes thru the meatl fllor were located in the right place, I was lucky or careful I guess and had them right the first time around.

To partially separate the Propex and the fridge unit spaces I made a shelf out of 5mm luan plywood sittion on top of the aluminum angles that would support the fridge and I covered the bottom side of the shelf with aluminum flashing used for roofing, it comes in very thin sheets, cut to size and glued and taped around the shelf using high temp duct tape. I would have used Reflectix or similar but that would have cut down the available space between the fridge and the propex. I'm not even sure flashing has any heat reflective properties, it is definitely shiny and thin Laughing The Propex does not really get very very hot but it is always good to be cautious about it. The area that gets hot is usually centered in the Propex, where the exhaust pipe is located. Another option for me would be to get rid of the shelf and cover the bottom of the fridge with Reflectix. The fridge would just rest on top of the aluminun angles.

About the aluminun angles. It is very hard to be precise with the installation of the aluminun angles so that the fridge is all the way up in the cabinet space so just error a tiny bit on the safe side, I installed my angles just a bit lower. That way you can do final height adjustments on both sides by using thin luan shims, thickness sanded down if needed, or even foam glued to the aluminum angles to get the fridge where you want it to be.

Ok, so by now you have the Propex installed and screwed down to the bottom of the fridge cabinet and your aluminun angles are in place. Now I worked on making sure the fridge was be safely mounted to the cabinet.

See this pic?

I used 1x4 pine wood, 3/4 of an inch in thickness, as extra backing for holding the fridge in place. You can see the sections of pine screwed to the sides of the cabinet in the pic. The original laminate fascia or wood frame around the stock fridge wil be cut to size around the fridge and screwed onto the pine as well. Notice in the pic how, to center the fridge in the middle of the front cabinet space, I used an additional piece of 5mm luan on the left side, between the pine wood and the cabinet wall. The picture above shows the work.

To make things pretty, I re-used the original laminate fascia or frame around the stock fridge, cut it to size on the vertical using a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade and I also taped the area to be cut with blue painter's tape to avoid chipping the laminate. You will need to cut some notches for the screw heads behind the fridge mounting frame. So this fascia screws onto the pine first making sure the screw heads will be covered by the fridge mounting frame and then you install the fridge by screwing the fridge to the fascia and the pine wood behind it using the four screw holes in the mounting frame and using long wood screws.

For the bottom section of the cabinet, I measured the available space, cut some plywood to size and used the gray laminate sold by GoWesty. Then, I cut holes for the Propex inlet and outlet following Propex instructions. This section is also screwed onto some pine wood.

I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out so ask away if you need

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread... thanks. It's going to take me a year to get motivated, but I've bookmarked it.

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand that you're using an inverter to convert 110V to 12V for when the van is "plugged in" somewhere, since this fridge just runs on 12V.

Kathy,
The inverter function of the Xantrex unit that MadSpaniard refers to converts 12V DC to 110V AC. I believe Mad has wired it to the stock electrical outlet next to the small cabinet. When it doesn't detect shore power, it draws from the aux. battery and allows for household appliances to be run while off the grid. Mad and others can correct me if I'm wrong since I don't actually own this unit, but I thought I'd correct a misconception of which "direction" the inverter changes current.

The TruckFridge 49 that I just installed had an AC option when I ordered it for a few bucks more. It allows it to be plugged into the AC outlet under the sink. It auto switches to 110V when shore power is detected and operates off the aux. battery (DC) when not. Something to think about as you go about your research.

It's kinda of fun to figure all this stuff out (IMO) so enjoy the journey and continue to ask question.

EDIT: After rereading your post, maybe you were actually referring to the charging function of the Xantrex unit? In this case, it converts AC to a managed charging current to the aux. battery (and starter battery if a Yandina or equivalent is installed). The Xantrex sounds great since it performs many functions in one device.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racerrojo/MadSpaniard,
How did you establish the blue flame rail line in your pic? Is it possible to provide a measurement of this line from the front edge of the cabinet floor? It seems that establishing the location of this line is critical to the rest of the operation. Thanks.
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:

Kathy,
The inverter function of the Xantrex unit that MadSpaniard refers to converts 12V DC to 110V AC....it draws from the aux. battery and allows for household appliances to be run while off the grid....I thought I'd correct a misconception of which "direction" the inverter changes current.

The TruckFridge 49 that I just installed had an AC option when I ordered it for a few bucks more....It auto switches to 110V when shore power is detected and operates off the aux. battery (DC) when not. Something to think about as you go about your research....It's kinda of fun to figure all this stuff out (IMO) so enjoy the journey and continue to ask questions,,,,

I agree! I'm reasonably good on the theoretical stuff, but I've already learned a huge amount of practical electronics as well as lots about mechanics and bodywork from the Samba. Thanks, everyone!
singler3360 wrote:
EDIT: After rereading your post, maybe you were actually referring to the charging function of the Xantrex unit?

Actually, your first assumption was right, singler, and I should have known, and do know, better. I've always understood that an inverter is so-named because it "inverts" the voltage from low to high (the opposite of the "normal" dropping from high to low with a transformer). So the inverter really doesn't have anything to do with the fridge at all. Thanks for the info about the AC option on the fridge. I don't normally run enough other AC stuff to be worth permanently installing an inverter--certainly not at this point. Plugging in the van occasionally works for me for what 120V I need with larger draws. I have one of those very small inverters that plugs into a 12V receptacle--also a Xantrex, I think--and that works for charging a camera battery or a small notebook computer.

---
Kathy
88 Westy
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="One more islander..."]
singler3360 wrote:

I don't normally run enough other AC stuff to be worth permanently installing an inverter--certainly not at this point. Plugging in the van occasionally works for me for what 120V I need with larger draws. I have one of those very small inverters that plugs into a 12V receptacle--also a Xantrex, I think--and that works for charging a camera battery or a small notebook computer.

---
Kathy
88 Westy

Similarly, we use a $29 400W inverter bought at a truckstop for the occasional use. So far we haven't felt the need for anything better. In the space below the fridge, and to the right of where a Propex will eventually go, I just installed a BatteryMinder screwed down to a removable shelf. The front panel is held in place by magnetic latches on both ends for easy removal, as suggested elsewhere in the forum.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Propex 2000 installed under the TruckFridge 49 finally today. Feels good. Couldn't have done it without the posts in the thread. Here are some additional pics to give more specific information where I had questions along the way.

1. The template in place prior to drilling the pilot holes for the fresh air intake and exhaust outlet. The goal was to get the hot air outlet (on the left) to nestle inside the vent cover, eliminating the need for the ducting. The black Sharpie line in the photo is 1 1/2" from the front edge of the hot air outlet and represents how deep into the vent cover the outlet will go. The vent cover for this side has a reducer ring on the back which needed to be removed. From the edge of the cabinet floor, it was 8 1/8" to the middle of the exhaust outlet hole. I should have measured 8 3/16" for a little more wiggle room. This was the only part of the template alignment that wasn't clear to me in MadSpaniard and Racerrojo's pics.

2. Cabinet front is on the right, outside panel of van on the left. The exhaust outlet hole is on the right, fresh air intake on the left. Drilled a 3/8" pilot for the fresh air inlet first, then went underneath to check the alignment. MadSpaniard's caution about the outside frame rail was critical here. Got lucky, dead-on, phew! Drilled a 1 3/4" hole, stopping just short of the metal to allow clearance for the clamps. Finally, a 1 1/16" hole through the metal bottom of the van to the outside for the tubes.

3. Two holes from underneath.

4. Fresh air intake (left) and exhaust (right) in place.

5. Tapping into stock fridge propane line. Can't remember exact fitting sizes at the moment, but I think the stock female flare required a 5/8" NPT male to male adapter screwed into a 5/8" female/1/4" compression fitting to take the 1/4" copper pipe down to the 1/4" British pipe whatever-whatever fitting included with the Propex. My local pipe fitter did not have these fittings so I settled on the Home Depot, despite caution that their fittings are lighter weight. Pipe thread paste used on all connections.

6. Test fitting the new faceplate to make sure the front edge of the hot air outlet on the Propex nestles into the vent cover properly. Again, setting the unit back about 1/16-1/8" would have made this fit a little easier. You can see the magnetic clasp on the left to hold the faceplate in place.

7. View of the hot air outlet through the vent cover. Anyone see a problem with this idea?

8. Faceplate done.

9. TruckFridge reinstalled, but not before taping Reflectix to the bottom to act as a heat shield. Hope this works. Package suggest a heat tolerance of 250F, is this enough? Rest of Reflectix roll was used to create poptop insulation panels.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singler,

Superbo!

Once Corvallis surfaces from the biblical floods, I will be dropping my van off in your driveway to get the same treatment.

Great thread folks, keep em coming.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I dig the the matching trim board, way nicer than what I came up with, when I did in my friend's Westy.
this is one mod that I would do on mine, if I could afford the Propex

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Singler,

Superbo!

Once Corvallis surfaces from the biblical floods, I will be dropping my van off in your driveway to get the same treatment.

Great thread folks, keep em coming.

-CJ

Better yet, attach your snorkel exhaust and come on down now. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: