Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Looks pretty sweet to me. I prefer the look with the tire and rim right at/under the fender lip (bulldog stance) with the original beam versus tucked in (1/4 miler look) with the narrowed beam. Very nice!

Thanks!

And same, I like the aesthetics much better with the wheels out flush. That was the only thing I was ever really disappointed in with my Wagenswest setup, is that I didn't actually need the narrowed beam. Didn't really know that at the time, and went with the "standard recommendation". In hindsight, it wasn't needed. Much happier with it back on the stock width beam.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just a few final pics with everything buttoned up.

The mostly finished beam install. And yes, I did bend that locking tab on the relay lever arm Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After getting everything installed and back on the ground, it was time for an alignment, and then test drive

Finished product

End result? I'm extremely happy. I now have full lock to lock steering again, without any rubbing in the wheel tubs. Straight line stability/tracking seems improved at highway speeds (which I partly attribute to the full width beam back in there, but also alignment improvement). Handling just as good as it was before (HD sway bars for the win!). And the front end stiffness isn't noticeably different. I was worried going back to the full length leaf packs that it would get more compliant, but these BBT replacement leaves currently feel just about the same as the narrowed pack in the old beam. Don't have any real way to quantify that, other than my subjective feel, but I'm happy with the end result.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looks great. Well done!
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

How does that alignment jig work for you?
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
How does that alignment jig work for you?

Works awesome. Makes it super easy to measure and set toe, and also has a digital angle finder mount so you can set camber. A little speedy, but it pays for itself if you use it more than once. I like to do my old cars myself.

67 Beetle (TBD)

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnh-3300?seid=s...QwQAvD_BwE

Really not a bad price when you think about it.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnh-3300?seid=s...QwQAvD_BwE

Really not a bad price when you think about it.

Agreed... Some will look at it and say, "an alignment is cheaper". Sure, but only once (or twice if your lucky). And for an old car, its not always a quick 1 shot deal with shops these days. So I like to have the plates, which allows me to set it up, be OCD with the details, and manage all of my old cars in my own shop.

For me personally, and how I drive this Bus, the original professional shop alignment to factory specs yielded undesired front tire wear (extreme camber wear, 2 different sets of tire). So these tools allow me the ability to adjust and check results on my own. Curious to see how my new modified camber setting effects things. Also planning to double check toe setting loaded. Curious how it changes with suspension compression.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Another quick update for my quiet thread. Still putting miles on the Bus. Haven't really done anything major to it since I did the beam swap back to full width. I did finally get the front window glass pulled out and serviced the window regulators, and replaced the felt channels that were causing the windows to hang up. Now they roll up sooooo easily and smooth.

Back in April we loaded our family of 6 up and took a long weekend trip up to North Carolina. We drove up from Atlanta to Asheville the first day and stayed in a nice cabin on the side of the mountain. Spent a few days in the area, a trip over to Charlotte one day, etc. Took the southern leg of the Blueridge Parkway on our way out home on Day 4. Bus performed flawlessly yet again over the entire trip. This swap has been ROCK solid, and we couldn't be happier.

Only major updates I've been sort of thinking about for the future is:

1) finally getting my under dash AC system installed, just need to figure out what to do with the condenser underneath

2) thinking about doing a little bit more work on the front suspension. I love our current ride height, as it looks right and is still very usable unlike a lot of the heavily slammed Buses. However, as my kiddos have gotten bigger, and we load the Bus up for extended tips like this, we get some regular rubbing up front on the wheel tubs under compression. Its only going to get worse as the kiddos get bigger/heavier with time, and also we were surprised this year with yet another kiddo due just after the first of the year Shocked Soooo, we'll be maxing out our 7 passenger Bus once the newest (and this time LAST, for real) arrival shows Laughing Thinking I need to look at something to stiffen up the spring rate up front, or perhaps do some sort of hybrid air ride setup that I can use to help up front when we are fully loaded. Typically its either just me driving the Bus around, or the entire family, so it sort of toggles between the extremes as far as the suspension is concerned. Just thinking and kicking around ideas for now, nothing solidly planned yet.

And on to the pics! Here are some random shots (some of the favorites) from our NC trip:

And a quick shot from yesterday, while visiting Jeff/deathman68 yesterday to try and lend him a hand as he's building his swapped Bus. He's got quite a unique build going. It will be fun to have another swapped Bus running around the area soon.

All for now!

67 Beetle (TBD)

deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Thanks for the shout out and help this weekend Adam! Excited to cruise to shows together whenever my bus gets on the road. In the meantime, I'll settle for the great shot of your bus next to my GTI.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

every time I see your thread come up I get nervous something bad happened

I just love that fuckin bus

for the condenser, just lay it flat like the dealer installed kits did. I can measure up one if you'd like

No real need that I have found to run the 2 condensers like some kits in the day did. Over condensing isn't bad, but not really needed with the modern condensers.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
2) thinking about doing a little bit more work on the front suspension. I love our current ride height, as it looks right and is still very usable unlike a lot of the heavily slammed Buses. However, as my kiddos have gotten bigger, and we load the Bus up for extended tips like this, we get some regular rubbing up front on the wheel tubs under compression. Its only going to get worse as the kiddos get bigger/heavier with time, and also we were surprised this year with yet another kiddo due just after the first of the year :shock: Soooo, we'll be maxing out our 7 passenger Bus once the newest (and this time LAST, for real) arrival shows :lol: Thinking I need to look at something to stiffen up the spring rate up front, or perhaps do some sort of hybrid air ride setup that I can use to help up front when we are fully loaded. Typically its either just me driving the Bus around, or the entire family, so it sort of toggles between the extremes as far as the suspension is concerned. Just thinking and kicking around ideas for now, nothing solidly planned yet.

To add air to your front end here is a pretty baller bolt on way:
https://limebug.com/product/moa-430-heavy-duty-gol...30hd-pair/

And here is a cheapo way.. Beetle rear air shocks on the front of the Bus... may be best with an extension..
https://gabriel.com/product-search/light-vehicle-detailed-specs/?partnum=49307

A more stiffly sprung suspension may reduce the frequency of rubbing issues but the only way to solve for them is to work out the clearances. New (or extended) bumpstops may be in order. If you're running dropped spindles, you still have the same amount of travel as before, but the tires are higher up in the wheelwell.. so, something has to give - reduce maximum compression, reduce tire height or clearance the body (e.g. tub) ... in order to "solve" for rubbing.

P.S. i love your sweet bus and that you are rocking it with your big awesome family
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

deathman68 wrote:
Thanks for the shout out and help this weekend Adam! Excited to cruise to shows together whenever my bus gets on the road. In the meantime, I'll settle for the great shot of your bus next to my GTI.

Happy to lend a hand! You're on the downhill side of your project, just keep chipping away at it. Thanks for the hookup on the LED boards for the lights too. Another project on my list now Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
every time I see your thread come up I get nervous something bad happened

I just love that fuckin bus

for the condenser, just lay it flat like the dealer installed kits did. I can measure up one if you'd like

No real need that I have found to run the 2 condensers like some kits in the day did. Over condensing isn't bad, but not really needed with the modern condensers.

Thanks man! No bad news here at all. Just trying to give an update every now and again. I do nothing but drive this thing these days (which was the point when I started).

Yea, laying the condenser down flat is the plan, just not sure how to position it relative to my radiator (which I think is larger than what you've used on your swaps). Haven't really spent any time or energy looking into it yet to be honest, just another project that I eventually want to get around to.

[/b]

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

To add air to your front end here is a pretty baller bolt on way:
https://limebug.com/product/moa-430-heavy-duty-gol...30hd-pair/

And here is a cheapo way.. Beetle rear air shocks on the front of the Bus... may be best with an extension..
https://gabriel.com/product-search/light-vehicle-detailed-specs/?partnum=49307

Yea, I've been eye balling the limebug stuff. I think I need an aftermarket beam to make that work, as I think I read/heard somewhere that they wouldn't clear the shock towers on a stock beam, and it needed to have plate style ends on the beam. I've found newly built stock width beams with the plate style ends, so maybe that's the eventual path.

I've also looked at some cheapy air shocks, but most of what I've found says you can't twist the air shock mounts to align the top and bottom eyes like you would need on the Bus beam, as the Beetle orientation is different from top of the shock to the bottom.

metahacker wrote:

A more stiffly sprung suspension may reduce the frequency of rubbing issues but the only way to solve for them is to work out the clearances. New (or extended) bumpstops may be in order. If you're running dropped spindles, you still have the same amount of travel as before, but the tires are higher up in the wheelwell.. so, something has to give - reduce maximum compression, reduce tire height or clearance the body (e.g. tub) ... in order to "solve" for rubbing.

Yes of course. I don't have a problem with an occasional rub (comes with the territory), its just my frequency is getting a little higher than I'd like currently. I'm set on NOT tubbing the Bus, so that option is out. I do have dropped spindles, and the stock bump stops, but there is enough compliance in the bump stops that I'm still rubbing. I've though about trying to find something bigger/stiff there, but my lower trailing arms are already just barely off the stock bumpstops, so not a lot of room to work with.

metahacker wrote:

P.S. i love your sweet bus and that you are rocking it with your big awesome family

Thanks man! Its exactly why I built this Bus. We had the three kiddos when I first bought it, but knew that number 4 was on her way. Number 5 was a bit of an accident/surprise, but everyone is excited for this last family member to join our crazy crew. Many more years/miles of Bussing in front of us hopefully.

67 Beetle (TBD)

mojtaba_golpesar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Hey dear ADAM Cool

This the 4th time that I'm reading your thread from the beginning to the end Razz and every time I learn new things and this is an amazing experiment Cool

The info in this thread couldn't be found everywhere and I really appreciate you for sharing your experience Dancing

thanks a lot for your willingness to answer my questions related to your swap.
You are one of the most impressive motivations for me to start my swap on my 76 t2.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks again
Mojtaba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Amazingly clean bus and the patina on it is awesome! The swap and interior all turned out really nice!

I did have one question though, what is the dimensions of the current AFCO radiator being used? I am planning on using the same sized one on my swap I am currently working on.

And once again, great work on it and keep enjoying it

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cowabunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just wanted to tune in and say i loved reading and watching your build.
Great, objective, helpfull and informative, it had everything.

Super good job there with everything.

Im currently working with my own vw project, a 1975 late bay.
Still at the stage of restoration, cutting out rusty parts and making a good base to work on later.

Until i get where you are i keep my self bussy with ordering loads of parts and looking after good threads like this!

Thanks for sharing// John from Sweden
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Amazingly clean bus and the patina on it is awesome! The swap and interior all turned out really nice!

I did have one question though, what is the dimensions of the current AFCO radiator being used? I am planning on using the same sized one on my swap I am currently working on.

Aiden

AFCO 80120N Radiator
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80120n

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

Aiden

Thanks Aiden!

As W1K1 pointed out, its the AFCO 80120N. I didn't intend for the specific PN to be a secret or anything, but I don't know that I ever posted it in the thread Laughing It just the longer version of the 80119 that I first tried, that didn't quite meet my performance requirements.

I've shared this info with a bunch of other folks over the years since I finished mine. Haven't ever heard anyone who's replicated my system have issues with it, and mine continues to perform well 20k+ miles later.

cowabunga wrote:
Just wanted to tune in and say i loved reading and watching your build.
Great, objective, helpfull and informative, it had everything.

Super good job there with everything.

Im currently working with my own vw project, a 1975 late bay.
Still at the stage of restoration, cutting out rusty parts and making a good base to work on later.

Until i get where you are i keep my self bussy with ordering loads of parts and looking after good threads like this!

Thanks for sharing// John from Sweden

Thanks John!

I'm glad this thread has been useful for you and others. I tried to be transparent with my build, how it went together, resulting performance, and the considerations/trade-offs I made along the way with component selection. The way I did my swap is certainly not the only way (or maybe even the best way), but it has proven itself to work extremely well since I completed it.

My family and I continue to rack up the miles on the Bus, needing nothing more than routine oil changes and fuel in the tank. Pretty hard to beat IMO.

For any of you guys reading and following along, if you've been considering a swap on your Bus, JUST DO IT. It completely transforms the Bus into a whole new vehicle.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Thank you W1K1 and Vee Dub Nuts, I end up ordering one very close in soze but a different brand so we’ll se how that goes.

And thanks again for documenting the swap so well, it turned out great and gives a great idea what all needs done.

Soon my 1.6 will be replaced by a 2.2 subie Twisted Evil
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Jump to:
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: