Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

subaru swap questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

A noid light and a teaspoon of gas will get you a lot farther than the children on here.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
A noid light and a teaspoon of gas will get you a lot farther than the children on here.

Robbie

Disconnected the fuel pump, tried the noid light while cranking, nothing on the 3 injector plugs I checked

crank sensor measured 1.93k , cam sensor 1.94k.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Aaand it was me, Travis had me try a couple things and we narrowed it down to the wire from the ignition switch wasn’t on. The funny thing is Darrel pm’d me the same thing earlier and I had to take a video to confirm that the acc was giving 12v but switching to ign it wasn’t
So I need to use the correct wire off the ignition switch VWC-111-905-865-F - (111905865F)

I was hesitant to do the swap after being Aircooled for the last 45 years, but with lots of people helping along the way we made it happen.
Lots of little things to fiddle with still on the electrical stuff, getting all the lights working, etc, but that is why I took a week off to just work on the bus

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxohaAUPZd8/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Aaand it was me, Travis had me try a couple things and we narrowed it down to the wire from the ignition switch wasn’t on. The funny thing is Darrel pm’d me the same thing earlier and I had to take a video to confirm that the acc was giving 12v but switching to ign it wasn’t
So I need to use the correct wire off the ignition switch VWC-111-905-865-F - (111905865F)

I was hesitant to do the swap after being Aircooled for the last 45 years, but with lots of people helping along the way we made it happen.
Lots of little things to fiddle with still on the electrical stuff, getting all the lights working, etc, but that is why I took a week off to just work on the bus

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxohaAUPZd8/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Congratulations Mark! Hope you'll be sharing the first (or second) start video. Edit: I just noticed that you did via the link. Awesome!
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

pulled all the wires off for the ignition to test, so it turns out the electrical part of the repo ignition switch is the problem
the 15 terminal has connection only with the key on, not when switched to starter, so the ECU was getting shut off when the starter was turning.

checked all the wires off the switch, they are all working correctly, except the 15
stupid me thinking new VW parts should work Rolling Eyes

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Good stuff now, maradyne havasu heater 20000 btu and 177 cfm for front heat and defrost.
Built a couple brackets for mounting, popped out 2 of the vents and removed the flapper’s, then added some ABS fittings to attach hoses, 2” ABS fits the 2.5” hose and the short section of 2.5 od exhaust tube that is glued inside the air inlet that was cut off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A clean start

Prettily good fit, I looked at a lot of different heaters to find something that fit the space. It was a short drop into the front heat duct, and I just capped the other outlet until I run a tube to the floor outlet between the seats

There is a good amount of air blowing out of the vents when it’s running

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Nice. That should work well.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

Congrats on the startup!

Glad you caught the weird switch. The 'cutout during start' is usually called the X terminal, and is for the headlights, wipers, etc. to cut load from the battery temporarily. It's usually black and yellow. #15 should be black. Check to see if they're swapped?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Congrats on the startup!

Glad you caught the weird switch. The 'cutout during start' is usually called the X terminal, and is for the headlights, wipers, etc. to cut load from the battery temporarily. It's usually black and yellow. #15 should be black. Check to see if they're swapped?

Robbie

Nope it was a junk repop switch I checked it a couple times to make sure it wasn’t just wired wrong
The replacement was all good, I found out my emergency flasher switch was wrong as well , trying to wire it up and not enough terminals

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

just about time to get moving again once the snow melts, and I finish repairing my pop top and tent.

quick question about Alternator wiring, the VW wiring was from alternator to starter, and the Subi was alternator to battery, does it matter?
just asking because the post on the starter has 3-4 wires all piled on and only a couple wires on the battery, wouldn't it make more sense for the alternator to connect directly to the thing it's charging?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

I've got mine running from alternator to battery. It doesn't make a difference IMO. I always go with the shortest run possible in all-things wiring so as to minimize loss (and cost). I DO recommend putting a nice big fuse in-line to prevent a catastrophic melt-down in the event of a short...I typically size mine +10% over the expected alternator output amps.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

deathman68 wrote:
I've got mine running from alternator to battery. It doesn't make a difference IMO. I always go with the shortest run possible in all-things wiring so as to minimize loss (and cost). I DO recommend putting a nice big fuse in-line to prevent a catastrophic melt-down in the event of a short...I typically size mine +10% over the expected alternator output amps.

I can't remember how my VW alternator wiring connected but similar to yours and "deathman68", my Subaru wiring goes from the alternator to the main fuse box (next to the battery) and then to the battery. I also have my alternator connected to a 40A relay which connects to my Leisure Battery system as well if needed, controlled by a switch. I've only had to use it once so far as the solar panel keeps the leisure battery topped up.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap questions Reply with quote

I have a renology DC to Dc charger set up for the solar panels/leisure battery that also monitors and charges the starter battery.
the new technology is great, needless to say there are a lot of new wires run around in the bus vs the old 120V plug in on the side Laughing

I think I'll move that wire to the battery and save some space on that starter post, I happen to have an inline fuse holder that came with the DC to DC charger I didn't use.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: