Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius in Hoosierland
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Props to you for being part of a solution to one of the biggest (and most complex) problems in our society.

"Hi, how ya doin' today?" is so much better than "Why don't you get a job?" or (more commonly) looking past them as if they don't exist.

Having lived half my adult life in Indiana and half in Arizona I can well imagine the challenges facing the unhoused play out differently in Lafayette vs Tucson. I do some small things to try to help but know that I (and most) could do more.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me to try harder. It warmed my heart as I realized my daughter gave a $10 bill to a guy at the In/Out who looked like he needed it
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

It was a dark and rainy-turning-to-snowy night up on the 6th floor of the campus parking garage after a long day at work.

I hit the starter on the van, it cranked strongly, but struggled to fire and didn't catch as usual.
I hit it again, there was a quiet backfire, then it would start for 2 seconds and then quit, which it never does.

I immediately thought to myself, "That's weird, it feels like a big vacuum leak... I wonder if that backfire popped off the intake boot."

I grabbed my flashlight, went back, opened the hatch & engine cover and, sure enough, the intake boot was separated from the AMM.

I grabbed a screwdriver, put the boot back in place, resecured the boot clamp, closed the covers, got back in, hit the starter, and it purred like a kitten.

As I drove away I thought to myself, "It's sure good to know how to debug stuff like this."
And then, "I sure wish I didn't need to know how to debug stuff like this."
And then "Fix the root problem. We're not at 4400 feet elevation anymore, it's time to dial that aggressive advance back a little."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

We try to support our very active neighborhood historic group with the various community building events they sponsor throughout the year.

The van provided great service putting out and taking in the 100s of lumenaria that they light up along the boulevard each Christmas eve.

(Yeah, one of these days I'll get around to fixing that big dent in the back from when the motorcycle hit me last year.)

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Luminaria in Indiana? I never knew. Back in New Mexico luminaria were a big holiday tradition and the displays in Albuquerque and Santa Fe were remarkable. For the last few years we've used gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off as containers for the candles.

Happy New Year!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Luminaria in Maryland too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

I need to get out more. Laughing

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Wow, 2.5 months since my last post. I need to get out more. I didn't realize how much spending so many years in Nevada's 87.8% public lands and Colorado's 43% public lands had spoiled me. In contrast, Indiana is 95.5% privately owned, making it impossible to freely explore the way we once did.

A different strategy was needed. We joined the local land conservancy so we could get afield on their lands without upsetting any land owners.

Mrs S convening the monthly meeting of the neighborhood historic committee at our house made it a perfect evening for the loaner husky and I to scoot out the back door and hit the road via the back alley driveway just the first board members were showing up at the front door.

With the morel mushroom sighting map marching steadily northward, we headed out along the Wabash river valley to scout some potential grow spots.

Our first stop, Granville Sand Barrens, didn't have much to recommend it, being a sliver of shattered, degraded river bottom land next to a row tree farm.

Further up or maybe down the river (morel hunters are required to be mysterious about possible locations), we came across some more promising terrain on the bluffs up above the river.

With the soil temperatures currently being well below the 50°-60°F morel mushroom growing window, I didn't expect to find any morels on this trip.

But it was a nice walk through the mixed hickory / walnut woods and a good scouting trip.

We got back to the van as the sun was starting to set...

...and motored home through the lengthening shadows, arriving back just in time to chat with the last few guests as they departed.

Perfect...

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Perfect!

The Western Syncro build
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Head south! Hoosier national forest are the best public lands near by. If you haven't been,
Turkey Creek and Shades state parks are pretty close to you. Chain O, lakes recreation area is north and east great if you have a canoe or Kayak. Get there before if really warns up and the locals overun them. You definitely are not out west anymore, but there are lots of beautiful places here in Hoosier Land. Love reading you prospective on outdoors here in the Midwest as a contrast to your writings of out west. Keep it up!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

One of the great dichotomies of my State is that Manhattan and the Adirondack are 3.5 hours drive apart.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

The public land in the west is easily the one of the biggest differences and benefits compared to the Central and East time zones. It's a factor that has kept me here after living in IL and WI. There's so much to explore staying on public land.

As for morels, we've had a few small forest fires the last two years (1,200 and 500 acres) less than 10 miles away and they've provided outstanding growing conditions for morels. We'll be harvesting them in May and June.

Abscate wrote:

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

I'd be quite happier if they were further apart Wink

at least the Catskills act as a buffer for much of lower NYS.
and the fact that most people in Manhattan think the Tappenzee is 'up north'

Abscate wrote:
One of the great dichotomies of my State is that Manhattan and the Adirondack are 3.5 hours drive apart.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

The Vanagon Extended Cargo Bed special edition.

When you have 16' floppy baseboard trim for the upstairs renovation to transport a couple miles and the van has 9' of cargo length.

I could have removed the passenger seat and gotten another couple feet, but an extension ladder secured fore and aft was easy, worked great, and allowed Mrs S and the guest husky to come along.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Neato. For carrying 12' boards I've just spun the passenger seat 90 degrees, but then the passenger would need to stay home. And that wouldn't work with 16 footers anyway.

Abscate wrote:

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius in Hoosierland Reply with quote

Nice!

I have taken 20' 5/4 deck boards home by laying them onto the front seat turned 90 and then hanging out the back with a red flag. 30 of them at a time strapped together. You should have seen the bugged out eyes on the guys at the lumber yard. Made it home no issues. Laughing

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: