Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding Westy drawer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

Hello Samaists.
Despite my efforts my kitchen drawer is done. The plastic is cracked and missing pieces beyond repair. The gowesty organizer/insert extended the life of the drawer a few years by gluing it in place. But the time has come to address the issue. Mine is an 87, 36 years has been hard on it, the last decade especially with kids reefing on it. I looked and inquired on the classifieds w/o luck. Searching the forum it seems like there are others that have this issue.

My carpentry skills are decent. replicating the shape and dimensions should be fairly easy. I plan to make it out of all wood and reuse the faceplate and tabs.

That said if some friendly vendor had one I'd probably buy it at a premium, the van gets regular weekend use through the summer so finding the time for this project or any other is a challenge. Lots of discussion here about the silly small early drawers and some discussion about eliminating the peat trap to make for a bigger drawer. I've also envisioned modifying the runners to accommodate a wider drawer while retaining the stock opening and drawer front. It all seems to add up to an opportunity for improvement/vendor item that would benefit us all eventually.

It may be awhile before I get to this (still summer/camping season) but when I do I will share my work...unless some intrepid vendor steps in...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding westy drawer Reply with quote

Check with Rhino Designs in Sacramento. They do custom work and may have some ideas for you, anything from a used drawer to making something specific to your needs. It's been a few years since I bought from them so I hope they're still at it.

I like their examples of redoing the cabinets under the Westy kitchen.

https://rhinodesignstudio.com/vw-vanagon-consoles/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding westy drawer Reply with quote

Granted, while not a pro, I am somewhat experienced with building stuff out of wood. If you can reuse your original drawer face, and especially if you have access to a table saw and dado blade, I bet you knock out a new drawer in under an hour (unless you get all fancy with dovetails, etc.).

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a vendor to do what you could probably do even better.

For inspiration, this was all an easy afternoon job.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding westy drawer Reply with quote

I have one I could send. You pay for shipping and the drawer. When you design the new one - build and send me one and I'll refund you what you paid for the drawer.

The price would be high so I'm ensured that I can get a replacement just in case your post is a clever way to just buy one with no intentions of building a better version (wink)..or if you just don't get around to it.

Email me if you want to work out the details.

[email protected]

In any case, I'm looking forward to what you design since I too see a lot of wasted space even in the deeper notched design.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding westy drawer Reply with quote

I've looked into this problem of the small size, and poor use of space, of the stock kitchen drawer.

The two biggest problems are the large rounded corners needed for the moulding Westy chose to trim out the drawer face, and the space needed for the sink drain.
Without eliminating the sink drain there's not much that can be done about the U shape of the drawer.
The large rounded opening matches the doors of the other interior cabinets, so the only way to gain more space for a bigger drawer is to forego the stock look of the drawer front.
Just changing the drawer slides won't really gain you any extra space. Remaking the drawer from wood would certainly make it stronger if not bigger.

I did try this solution for a while; I cut a shelf to fill all the available room and added hinges to the front.
However I changed back to stock because I found an actual drawer preferable to a shelf. Was able to get more stuff in the space but it was awkward to access.

The only way to really gain more room for a bigger drawer is to cut the cabinet face frame to a squared off opening. Not something that can be brought back to stock looks without replacing the whole face frame.

On the other hand there are laminates out there that come close to matching the stock gray color of the cabinets (or brown) so someone with the right tools/time/talent can fabricate a whole new look. Like the Rhino designs.

Also, it is possible to change the front of the kitchen cabinet without destroying the original face frame. You can remove just the front and save, then you could do both sides in new wood and laminate to create squared off corners and still utilize the stock sink and cook top. It would look different from the rest of the cabinets but be uniform to the kitchen cab.
A big job but less than a whole new cabinet and cheaper than buying pre-made.
It's possible to do this with cabinet in the camper but obviously easier with it out!

As part of my LifePO4 aux battery and heater setup I reworked the old fridge side of the cabinet, cutting down the door and face frame, adding new shelves etc.
I wanted to keep the stock look but these pics might give you some ideas.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

Really nice work, SCM and Ms. Taboo.

Every once in awhile I consider replacing the bulky Westy sink drain with one of these. Has anyone disected the Westy drain and is there a good reason for the bulbous plastic drain part?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD8RTKW/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD8RTKW/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I REALLY like the short 90 of what you pictured. $35 ouch. and I'll likely get one because the use value is so high.

Have you verified the hole size?...I just tried to remove a spare but the lock nut is frozen. Put tome PB blaster on it, will see in a few days.

Here's a picture of the drain without the bottom part (forget what happened but this was my solution)... maybe to get a 90 deg in there instead of traight down?IIRC

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Really nice work, SCM and Ms. Taboo.

Every once in awhile I consider replacing the bulky Westy sink drain with one of these. Has anyone disected the Westy drain and is there a good reason for the bulbous plastic drain part?

I have been using something like this. I found a tip here on the Samba for a good match.

There has only been one scenario where I clogged up my drain.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I have been using something like this. I found a tip here on the Samba for a good match.

What "this"?

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
[
There has only been one scenario where I clogged up my drain.

Always remember to tell friends it's not a toilet, noted. Laughing
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
....Every once in awhile I consider replacing the bulky Westy sink drain with one of these. Has anyone disected the Westy drain and is there a good reason for the bulbous plastic drain part?....

Yeah, I tried taking one apart to investigate why it's so bulky. This was quite a while ago so my memory is fading on the details but it was a pain to remove and close to breaking. The design seems part cosmetic (covering the threaded portion of sink) and part to try and add a water-trap into the drain to exclude fumes from the grey water tank (if you have one).
That drain off amazon looks like it would work fine if it fits.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

I haven't confirmed the fit of that 90* sink drain. It's one of those things that came to mind so I shopped for something close to put it on an amazon list as a reminder (that's a long list!). This one looks like it might be close.

Abscate wrote:

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer/P-Trap Replacement Reply with quote

I hope this data is still good. This fix worked perfectly for Winston and me:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619667

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

Timely post!

I just ordered one of these drains for the kitchen unit that I am putting in my GL.

Sandvik 10306 / Lira PF2535

Amazon has them, eBay has them ...... with tax I spent $32.00

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

Finally got the drain nut off and drain out.
The hole is this diameter is

55mm
2.16"
2-11/64"

It is just under 2-3/16. The suggested drain requires a minimum of 2-1/16" so should work. Since Dave will have it shortly we'll know for sure.

I noticed it is available with a plug which is deeper under the sink and the no-plug option is shorter under sink.

I like the idea of the plug but have never used it for a practical purpose.

1) what have y'all used the plug/full sink for?

2) how to plug a no-plug drain if ever needed?....yogurt lid?

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

Will this post ever address the subject of "Rebuilding Westy drawer"?

Bright interior cupboard lighting is a real blessing!
I highly recommend it.
I used adhesive strip LEDs that run on 12v.
I have a button switch that turns the light on when the drawer opens.
Sorry I forgot to tidy up the wires for the 'drawer-out' photo. Embarassed

But the task at-hand is.....I just bought the low-profile $23 Sandvik drain and am ready to build a bigger drawer.
It looks like there's space to make the drawer a couple inches longer.

I found this post showing the: plastic dowels glued into the drawer face
So you have to destroy the U-shaped drawer to liberate the drawer face.
then drill the dowels out and replace with wooden dowels.
No biggie I guess.

Also want to increase space in lower cabinet by re-routing the drain pipe outboard.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding Westy drawer Reply with quote

This is also been on my “to do to the van list”. I have already replaced the old drain p-trap and did this simple draw organizer years ago.

But it is now time to up my game with a new draw layout taking advantage of the new space from the raised drain profile plus add some full extension European draw guides, as the current guide design sucks.

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: