Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which wiper arms?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

My car presently has one windshield wiper and I have found no other wiper arm that looks quite like it out there. In the classifieds, you can find ispwest 1961 - 1967 arms, OG '67 only arms, some that even have the part number listed, but the landscape is confusing at best.

I will never have an original, perfect, NOS parts car, but I would like to get the correct arms, mostly for certainty of functionality, but I do also like the idea of the parts being correct.

Right now I'm focused on the offerings of the following two and I'm wondering if anybody knows that one is more correct than the other, or maybe they're both going to interface with my wiper shaft perfectly.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2552531
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2616135

Both sets seem to have a side loading set screw to secure the arm to the shaft, but the first one seems to have a larger surrounding material and I can't quite tell how the spring connects to it, compared to the second, where the connection seems obvious.

Any insight, as always would be greatly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

What does your current single wiper arm look like? If it's '67 and down and hasn't been modified, any early wiper arm will work. Remember that any used arms you purchase might have oval'd out holes from use.

The ISP arms are technically the 1967 style arms but they fit all early shafts.
This slightly later version is a better design in my opinion.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Personally, I think you are overthinking this.

Wow, first time I've been accused of that.. Rolling Eyes

Everything you're saying makes sense. It's a 1964. The shafts are not splined, they are round with a flat spot on them for the grub screw to register against.

I'll see if I can get the gallery function to work again, so I can post my own pics. I'm reminded how I had a challenge with this once before.

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

Oh, Razz looks like you changed your post in between the time I began replying and when I got my reply posted.

Now it looks like my quote is made up!

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
Oh, Razz looks like you changed your post in between the time I began replying and when I got my reply posted.

Now it looks like my quote is made up!

Lol. I just didn't want what I said to be misunderstood or sound like a jerk.

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

Back when I did my 64 T-34, I bought a pair of NOS ones from a seller on here. The ISP west ones being new are probably the best way to go so you know that the arms will fit correctly. Used arms can be worn out, also look over the wiper arm shafts really good, as sometimes the shaft will have an imprint of the set screw that has moved. Some people will grind a flat there to help secure the arm. Just make sure that spot is where you need it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:

I get that. People can get worked up pretty easily these days and text only can be a poor way to convey intention. Fortunately, it is a LOT harder than that to offend me! Very Happy

I really appreciate both of you taking the time to weigh in. The collective knowledge and experience around here is dizzying!

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:

I get that. People can get worked up pretty easily these days and text only can be a poor way to convey intention. Fortunately, it is a LOT harder than that to offend me! Very Happy

I really appreciate both of you taking the time to weigh in. The collective knowledge and experience around here is dizzying!

Cool beans. I'm definitely biased, but the new wiper arms and blades we have are really nice if you want to start fresh. I'm wearing my enthusiast hat right now, not my ISP shirt. Laughing

https://vwispwest.com/type-3-wiper-arm-blade-kit-311955407y/

Follow ISP West on:

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

As a satisfied customer, I have to agree with the above. They are manufactured identically; the only real difference I could see was the missing VW logo on the ISP arms.

The trouble with old ones (except NOS of course) is that used ones often have a lot of slop in the hinge point which can cause a lot of chatter on the windscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wiper arms? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
As a satisfied customer, I have to agree with the above. They are manufactured identically; the only real difference I could see was the missing VW logo on the ISP arms.

The trouble with old ones (except NOS of course) is that used ones often have a lot of slop in the hinge point which can cause a lot of chatter on the windscreen.

I hadn't thought about that, but I have seen the issue with the arm coming loose from the wiper shaft, because the set screw came loose, or the shaft spinning inside the arm. It's only then that you realize you've got a problem, as the arm and wiper blade just sit against the glass not moving while the wipers are on.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: