Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

A little update on Derby! (yes that is the name we have chosen Laughing )

I have been doing what I can the last few months to both collect as many missing parts as I can, replacement parts for what is there but beyond repair, and start making progress on the bug itself.

Starting off, I picked up a 1500 single port with all the tins, generator, and associated parts for $300.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I knew it had been sitting and was frozen so I soaked all the cylinders with a mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery oil. I had a feeling it would be bad, but we didn't know it would be THIS bad.

Doesn't matter, because though there is some damage to some of the bottom of the case, its fairly minimal and will work for a budget engine build I believe.

Moving into September, my girlfriend and I decided to hit up Bugorama in Sacramento on the last day of the event for some good swapmeet deals!
I picked up a set of mis-matched, but crack free dual port heads and a high flow oil pump for $100. Another $10 got me the oil filter adapter and oil cooler adapter from a different seller. I think the entire intake setup minus carb was $40, $5 crank pully, and $20 for the towbar. The rest was under $20 together so it was a fantastic weekend. I even found a used pedal assembly in the trash at the end of the day! Albeit it had a broken clutch pedal, but the frozen assembly in my car had a good one to replace it with.

I wanted to make a big push in getting most of these parts cleaned up and put away, so as soon as I need them I can pull them out and use them!
I sunk the pedal assemblies in Evapo-Rust after tearing them both apart, wire-wheeling all the components, greasing and reassembling them to make one good set. I origionally planned on the tan spray paint being temporary, but I actually quite like it and may redo them in the same color, just with proper primer underneath.

Currently there is no accelerator pedal as I got the CB performance Turbo Throttle Pedal kit for christmas and will be installing that at a later date.

Next was the heads. They had heavy carbon build up, and were overall dirty and oily. I sunk both in Berrymans Carb Cleaner and scrubbed with a brass wire brush. Hand lapped the valves one by one and reasembled with freshly cleaned used rockers as my origionals were frozen.

I missed getting photos after reassembly but they looked fantastic for a pair of used $80 heads.

While I was in the cleaning mood I cleaned the oil filter adapter too. Shinded up well, and looks great with a new filter (RockAuto closeout for $2 each lol)

After all that little stuff was done I figured I better get started on the engine block. Tore it all the way down, removed everything and I took it all to my buddies shop where they have a heated parts washer and steamer pressure washer. Wow does heat make a difference cleaning off that baked on engine gunk!

I even pulled the studs out and sunk them in Evapo-Rust as well.

Not sure if I should install case savers in this one as it will be a relatively low power engine.

I made a trip to the DMV finally, and after some back and fourth, shelled out $166 and received a vin verification sheet. Called ahead to CHP and scheduled my appointment, but boy was I worried! Having never bought a vehicle without a title before, I had no idea what was instore. To prepare for the trip across town, I figured I best remove the rotted drivers floor pan; incase the seat were to try and fall through!

The day came and honestly it went so easy I could have never imagined it would go like this. Took off with my signed inspection form and the same day hit the DMV to turn it in. To my surprise, I left with my actual plates and registration!

Since the rear luggage tray is far beyond salavage, I picked up the back half of a super for $250 to use for the tray and have some spare factory sheetmetal for patches.

Somewhere in between the last couple events, I dropped off my generator to be rebuilt at a local shop. When I got it back I sand blasted the pulley and backing plate components for it, primed them, and gave them a few coats of dark grey Rustoleum. They may not be perfect but its cheap and they look pretty good I think.

I also sand blasted the fan shroud the other day and primed it, but it has been too cold and raining for paint.

This last weekend and this week have been comitted to salvaging the paint as much as possible. This was the condition on the day I picked it up.

I tried out the sponge and Comet trick, and it worked wonders! Some areas needed the 0000 steel wool treatment, but after washing it all down and giving it a few pass with both a wool and foam pads the shine has really started to come back on the sides!

The sides are showing great resilience but the roof and hood are pretty thrashed. Oh well, then I am not so worried about scratches on the trails!

I have been going through the electricial, and one of my first tasks was to replace all the turn signal and tail lights. Pick up a 10qt box of Philips 1156 and 1157 bulbs for $4.10 off RockAuto to help eliminate burnt bulbs as lighting failure factors. This car has some pretty bad wiring, I mean BAD. lots of broken spade connectors, a seperated hazard switch that I have repaired and verified operation of, and a failed hazard relay to name a few.

I have decided to replace the current factory fuse block and relay's with boxes from Hella. I was origionally planning on using a Painless Wiring block but I like how clean and compact these are instead.
Part #H84988001 4-Way Mini Relay Box Kit
Part #H84960051 16-Way Fuse Box Kit
The blocks also interlock and come with waterproof caps. I also have contacted Hella and confirmed a Novita EP27 Hazard/TS relay should fit in the relay box, so that will hopefully replace my current in-op relay.

I have amassed quite the parts hoard since the holiday's have come and gone. Full front brake kit, new brake hoses and hard lines, and hardware for the rear. New collapsing antenna which has already been installed, and about 60lbs more of parts waiting to be installed.
I picked up a Miller 135 welder a few weeks ago so welded repairs will begin soon also! There is still a long ways to go before this rig is running and driving again, but it will get there eventually!

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

You are a brave one. Good job👍
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Wow! Looking Good!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Hey ... !

Looks like you've been busy.
Awesome on getting the legalities sorted, and very resourceful on the parts.

Pan work is gonna be nice :
I had one that would soak me & the whole inside if driven thru a puddle. Lol

Class 11 look :
You may want to look into a pair of raised spindles for the front (not too much $$) and reindexing the rear torsion arms. Do research, be precise, & careful as lots of tension (just costs some time).

I THINK the common size tire used is a 215 series. All Terrain should get you the aggressive look. If you go too big the steering & ability to hit top speed can be compromised.

Keep plugging away, it's SO gonna be kool.
Thanks for updating.

Best to you ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

Cheap parts ain't good
and good parts ain't cheap.

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

agramer1966 wrote:
You are a brave one. Good job👍

Thank you! It doesn't feel like I have made a lot of progress but looking back its come a long ways already.

radstude wrote:
Wow! Looking Good!👍

Thank you! Slowly trying to make it look less miserable haha

jinx758 wrote:
Pan work is gonna be nice :
I had one that would soak me & the whole inside if driven thru a puddle. Lol

Class 11 look :
You may want to look into a pair of raised spindles for the front (not too much $$) and reindexing the rear torsion arms. Do research, be precise, & careful as lots of tension (just costs some time).

I THINK the common size tire used is a 215 series. All Terrain should get you the aggressive look. If you go too big the steering & ability to hit top speed can be compromised.👍

I definitely have to do pans as they are both toasted beyond repair. I will look into the raised spindles for sure, currently my plan was to replace the adjusters following one of the posts TDCTDI made on his 1970 Bug. I do plan on reindexing the rear torsion arms but its a bit intimidating, though I have worked on worse. Currently the car has ancient BFG KO2's in 215 and I think they fit the style of the car well! Thanks for the advice and suggestions, I will definitely use them to explore my options as I move forward with the build!

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:

Class 11 look :

I THINK the common size tire used is a 215 series. All Terrain should get you the aggressive look. If you go too big the steering & ability to hit top speed can be compromised.

Okay, here’s my 2cents worth…

True class11 do not use raised spindles. The front is raised by either the “cut & turn” method on the front beam, or by welding in adjusters. Both of these are cheap.

The rear would consist of just reindexing the torsion bars/spring plates. This combination would gain you 2”-3”. This is realistically the highest that the car could “comfortably” go, without topping out the suspension & beating yourself & the car to death, or maxing out the rear CV joints.

The next option would be raised spindles as suggested above, however, I strongly suggest against aftermarket raised spindles as these are factory spindles that have been cut, machined down, & had new stubs & drop plates welded to them. These are known to fail, either at the weld or the added on drop plate. Additionally, Thing spindles flip the lower ball joint so that it’s compressing as opposed to pulling against itself, so there is a far less likelihood that the lower balljoint fails.

What I would suggest (& do) is to source a set of Thing spindles and trailing arms (or a complete beam), and for shits & giggles, add a set of adjusters to the beam.

However, going this route will necessitate upgrading to Thing (or Porsche 944) axles, CVs, and stubs (and ideally Thing trailing arms) to allow enough angularity in the CVs to match the height in the front. To achieve this, you will be looking at notching the spring plates, and adjusting the torsion bars/spring plates accordingly. (After doing several of these, I suggest getting some 27mm torsion bars. The factory bars are just too soft & you really have to twist them up to get the desired height.)

The only real reason to source Thing trailing arms is that the lower shock mount cup is shorter which will allow use of original length shocks, (and the Thing trailing arms supposedly have a different camber angle, but I haven’t seen any difference.). However, the lower shock mount cup can be cut off & shortened on a Beetle trailing arm to achieve the same result.

As far as the tires go, I run the 215/75/15 General Grabber in the front, and the same size (215/75/15) BF Goodrich KO2 in the rear. While the tread is very close to the same, the General Grabber has a softer rubber compound the sticks very well, especially in wet conditions. The KO2s on the other hand, are a harder compound that wear a little longer, but become fairly slick in the wet, especially when cold. This combination makes the car quite entertaining in wet conditions as it is extremely easy to initiate oversteer with a quick twitch into the apex, or even a slight lift on the accelerator, do both & you better know how to correct the car’s desire to attack something with its ass.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

70’DerpyDerby wrote:

I know this sounds a little OCD, but don't lose that 1970-only bumper reflector! That's a one-year-only item, and it's amazing it survived (unlike the one on the right side).
That's one of those 1970-isms that many people overlook. (We're all a little OCD about our VWs, right?)

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Eye am definitely watching this build!
Reminds me of a 71 that I bought and had loads of fun with!

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Excellent project. Mad respect for the practical approach. The VW Way.

Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Just looking at your pics, a word of advise. You should have pulled the oil relief plug, spring and piston, before you dipped the case.
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

True class11 do not use raised spindles. The front is raised by either the “cut & turn” method on the front beam, or by welding in adjusters. Both of these are cheap.

The rear would consist of just reindexing the torsion bars/spring plates. This combination would gain you 2”-3”. This is realistically the highest that the car could “comfortably” go, without topping out the suspension & beating yourself & the car to death, or maxing out the rear CV joints.

This is probably the route I will want to go currently as I would like to keep costs as low as possible and see what I can still achieve.

TDCTDI wrote:
As far as the tires go, I run the 215/75/15 General Grabber in the front, and the same size (215/75/15) BF Goodrich KO2 in the rear. While the tread is very close to the same, the General Grabber has a softer rubber compound the sticks very well, especially in wet conditions. The KO2s on the other hand, are a harder compound that wear a little longer, but become fairly slick in the wet, especially when cold. This combination makes the car quite entertaining in wet conditions as it is extremely easy to initiate oversteer with a quick twitch into the apex, or even a slight lift on the accelerator, do both & you better know how to correct the car’s desire to attack something with its ass.

Link

I will definitely keep this in mind when I go to order tires, however many months down the road that is. Sounds like a great combination though!
P.S. I loved the video Laughing

raydog wrote:
Just looking at your pics, a word of advise. You should have pulled the oil relief plug, spring and piston, before you dipped the case.

I can still address this as the case is still bare, so I will definitely look into this. Thank you!

Buggeee wrote:
Excellent project. Mad respect for the practical approach. The VW Way.

Very Happy

Thank you, its been a good challenge so far but I am trying to keep this as cost effective as possible with all my used junk haha

71StandardReduction wrote:
Eye am definitely watching this build!
Reminds me of a 71 that I bought and had loads of fun with!

Beautiful bug, I definitely like the look of the off-road lights on the bumper and may have to steal that idea! Wink

Blue Baron wrote:
I know this sounds a little OCD, but don't lose that 1970-only bumper reflector! That's a one-year-only item, and it's amazing it survived (unlike the one on the right side).
That's one of those 1970-isms that many people overlook. (We're all a little OCD about our VWs, right?)

Honestly thank you for that, I had no idea those were this year only and fairly uncommon to find! I was really thinking about tossing it but after this I will be keeping it and probably clean it up to put on the car when I take it to shows. I think we're all crazy about our VW's, in one way or another Laughing

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Good evening y'all!
It has been a couple of months since I last posted, but progress has continued! It was definitely slow going for a while as it was raining on and off pretty consistently for several days a week, week after week here in the bay.

At the end of January the floor pans I ordered from Mill Supply, kit #400-50-74AK, arrived. They are 20g steel, so though they aren't the thinnest on the market, they're not the thickest either. It is a 4 piece kit made of all the half pan options they carry, but for about $330 shipped it was a steal. I do notice the stamping's have a lot of excess metal on the edges, so we'll see how much trimming and fitting they need to work.

I started with removal of the dash pad back in February, as it was horribly cracked and disintegrating. I have since reinstalled the speedometer and switches, but I did break a small spade connector for the E-brake dash light so I'll have fun sourcing that I'm sure.

Striped out rear glass to help prevent damage from welding and grinding.

Next was removal and replacement of the luggage tray. I will say I have learned my lesson in using used vs. new parts. I never imagined just how many spot welds one panel could possess, but I definitely learned after that one Laughing

I also cut out a good section directly underneath the window and patched it after treating the surface rust with some rust converter.

After cutting out the lower portion of the tray I found that the brace underneath had serious rust holes in the middle, so that portion went as well and I sectioned it with a good portion from the donor bug (I'm sure this isn't the correct way to repair the brace, but its how I'm doing it).

Door sill rust repair with a patch made from some of the Super Bettle inner quarter.

A grinder and paint will make me the welder I ain't Cool Cool

Picked up a used afternarket exhuast for $70 I think? I didn't like all the gunk and wrinkle paint on it, so into the blasting cabinet at work it went.

It is currently still in bare metal, but I decided on Dupli-Color DE1607 Chevy Orange/Red Engine for the exhaust itself as well as the heater boxes. Not sure how long it will last, but only time will tell.

Pulled the connecting rods off and swapped in some new Mahle bearings. Currently waiting on my order of main and cam bearings, but the case isn't going back together until it is painted and the new cam is installed (which I have yet to order)

Original bearings didn't look terrible, but why risk it over a $15 box of bearings.

I finally painted the dog house a matching dark grey, and painted all the bolts matte black. Picked up a 20k volt coil on sale at CB Performance for $20 so on it went, even though I am really not a fan of chrome haha.

Stripped the dusting of paint I put on these before putting them in storage and primed them after appropriately prepping them.

Stuck with the flat tan, I really like the color difference and think it'll stand out well from the black floor. Reassembled after greasing. I will be welding a stud to the end of the clutch cable hook to make it a little smoother and less likely to break the hook itself.

Finally installed my CB Performance 6098 pedal kit. It took some finessing the area where the pedal meets the base, the arm that holds the roller to get proper pedal travel, grinding the pin head to let it recess properly, and using a couple washers on either side of the roller bracket to center it, but it is smooth and definitely looks like it will be a good upgrade.

After removal of the rust filled fuel tank, I decided to remove the OEM fuse block as well. I have changed my mind once again on the fuse box/relay idea and will be using the modular Ford fuse and relay blocks out of the mid 2000's Crown Vic trunks. They look nice, mount easily, are already wired, and are free to me lol

The tank was first filled with Evapo-Rust and then a mixture of Acetone and Gasoline. The Evapo-Rust did its job as best as it could, but I think there was dried out fuel varnish at the bottom of the tank that was reconstituted and became a sludge again that it could not remove, thus the solvent mixture dumped in and sealed to help break it all down.

Seems the tank was already repaired or replaced once before. It's a shame as it sat for years and years without a gas cap allowing water and debris to fill it and make a mess inside. I've decided that as long as there are no large rust chunks lingering when I dump the fuel mixture out, I will be using it and just change the fuel filter as needed.

Today I decided to check for any wires, bolts, or other parts that I missed before fully removing the shell. Definitely was a bit sketchy jacking it up onto the stands, but its super cool to see major progress being made! From what little visual inspection I could do in the fading daylight, I noticed the bottom of the door sills/heater channels look pretty solid except for the fronts where they meet the Napoleon hat. I also have a broken bolt inside the brace at the front RH side, as both of these bolts were severely rusted until almost nothing was left. Personally I feel lucky only 1 of the 4 bolts broke on me Laughing

Though it was only temporary, as I put the shell back on the pan to be covered pending MORE RAIN TOMORROW Brick wall I am excited to be getting closer to the pan replacement!

Thanks y'all for reading and have a great night! Hopefully I'll be spotted by summer driving Derby, but currently I'm not holding my breath lol

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Glad to see you are plugging away-nice work on the rear luggage area. I was skeptical when you said you were trying to do this on a budget as it needs a ton of work, but it looks like you're doing it! Always good to see a very rusty car saved.
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Thank you! It has been an uphill battle with new areas to repair found every time I look at it. Still plenty more to go, but my hope is to have the shell off and and new pans in by late April or early May. I have decided to use whatever used hard parts I can get, minus stuff like brake and suspension components that wear down. Also helps to shop around a lot on places like eBay and RockAuto for good deals and closeout whole sale parts!

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Pulling the glass out to protect it was a smart move, I've regretted not doing that before. Lots of progress. Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Pulling the glass out to protect it was a smart move, I've regretted not doing that before. Lots of progress. Applause

I definitely did not want to end up replacing any glass as my rear window has the optional defrost and the quarters are factory pop-outs. Thank you, it has come a long way since the beginning but there is still a long way to go!

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
70’DerpyDerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW, a 1970 Bug. What did I get myself into? Reply with quote

Evening y'all!
Today's update has a decent amount of progress included, and a couple of oddball questions at the end so grab a cold drink and stay awhile!

Starting off with the fuel tank, I left off with having a solvent concoction sitting in the tank. That worked about as well as you think it did...As in it didn't really at all. I ended up taking the tank to my buddies shop to use their steam pressure washer to wash out the gunk. That was the solution I should have used all along!

Before steaming:

After steaming:

The tank is still a little rusty inside but I'm not worried about it. I coated the inside with a light oil to help ward off flash rust until I use it.

Next up was to paint the exhaust. We had an exceptionally warm day for April so I took advantage and painted it with the Rustoleum ceramic rust stop followed by Dupli-Color DE1607 Chevy Orange/Red. How well is it going to hold up? I have no idea, as I usually try my best to avoid mixing paint brands when doing anything kind of paint work but its what the local parts store had!

Personally I think it turned out great for being rattle can.

After a few days of waiting for my shmeBay order to arrive, I was able to use the SikaFlex 221 I ordered to seam seal the rear luggage area. I think it turned out pretty darn good being that I haven't used Sika since I left working on Motor Coaches in 2021. The only concern I had was that they were past their shelf life date, which will be relevant later.

While giving the seam sealer a few days to dry as the ambient temps were only around 50 degrees Fahrenheit, I hit up the local Pick-N-Pull for the last day of their $30 seat sale. I scored a set of dark grey manual cloth seats from an 01' Civic SI. I am working on custom mount ideas using CAD programs currently, to figure out which one will work best.

I took out the passenger seat for a little while to just test fit the seat and get an idea of how it'll fit. I love it and I think they're going to be a great upgrade for the comfort and a little bit of safety. They need a good cleaning but overall they are in good condition.

I started the install of the Crown Vic fuse block which has been a love hate for sure. I added another fuse block in between the main power wire to I could supply power to two of the relays in the block for the high and low beam circuits. I did this so if in the future I or someone else wants to add upgraded lights, its not as much of a concern overloading the harness.

Somewhere along the way I picked up just about all the missing engine tins from Chris at Oakland Aircooled, great guy as always and his collection is always revolving.

I decided to paint the bar that supports the rear seat cushion with some rust converter and a coat of matte black before reinstalling. I'm sure it'll come back out later but for now its one less item on my shop floor Laughing

\

My next course of action was to start removal of the death rot foam that is jammed up in the quarters. During my latest round of cleaning I accidentally opened a rust hole that was made from the foam being constantly wet every winter and spring that it sat for 20+ years. I'll need to cut out and patch the rot on the inside and in the wheel well on the PS but the DS seems to be intact and solid. I'll find out after I remove all the foam on that side too.

One of the final things I decided to do was this past Thursday, and that was to clean off all the adhesive residue on the top of the replacement luggage tray and shot some Gloss Cottage White onto it. By no means is it an exact match but its inside and will mostly be covered by killmat or similar. After cleaning and prepping the area I put a few good coats on and let it sit all weekend until this afternoon when I got home.

This is where the strange reaction and subject of my question comes into play. Whenever I painted Sika previously, it was with 2k solvent base and clear coat. Being that both those layers were solvent, I never thought I would have an issue with some rattle can. However, I found that today all areas were perfectly dry except any areas of the seam sealer that had paint on them, no matter how thing the coat was. These painted seam seal areas were very tacky, and when hit with the heat gun basically turned the paint liquid again. My theory is that the seam sealer and the voc's from the spray paint didn't mingle well, and are making the sealer soft again. That or the sealer is absorbing the solvent and causing excessively long dry times. The sealer itself underneath is not really tacky really after wiping all that paint off with acetone. Any idea how to get this paint to go over the sealer without guessing if it will ever dry, or do I just paint a test area and give it a week or so to find out? I decided to clean out the car again today, vacuum out any junk I could, and vacuum up the seam sealer chunks I chipped off of the pan seams in preparation for pan replacement in the near future. You may be able to see the areas I wiped clean in these photos.

Check out that sweet galvanized sheet metal patch the previous owner made Laughing

Interior shot after all the junk was out and trash vacuumed up. I promptly repacked the interior with all my parts after this photo was taken lol

Hopefully anyone that has gotten this far is enjoying the process! Thanks for reading, and as always any feedback or constructive criticism is welcome! Have a great night y'all, till the next time!

1970 VW Bug "Derby"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: