Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Simple Brake Warning Light Mod
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Simple Brake Warning Light Mod Reply with quote

I don't know about you folks but for me and my 5 foot 7-1/2" frame, the Seat Belt and Brake warning lights are exactly behind the steering wheel when I drive. I don't care about the seat belt light because I'm so automatic about belts that I even belt up when I'm moving the van ten feet and I've disabled the @#$@! buzzer.
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The hand brake, though, is a different matter as sometimes I have something else on my mind between the time I start the van and the time I drive away (Any strange sounds from the rear? Damn, where did I put the iPod, etc.) that I have been known to try and drive off with the hand brake on and then wonder why the van is so sluggish. You don't have to admit it here but I bet you have done that, too.

I've wanted to move the brake warning light somewhere that I might actually see it and finally came up the solution where it's mounted just below my oil pressure and temp gauges in the slide-off heater vent cover under the radio and silver socket. I usually glance at the gauges as I put it in gear so it was a logical location.

I picked up a second pair of lights and their connector at the U-Pull and then trimmed off the seat belt portion of the light housing so it would fit in the small, upward angled part of the heater cover and cut the red lens in half with a fret saw:

I gingerly cut a hole in the heater cover and glued the light in with JB weld.

It looked a little messy so I made a bezel out of plastic (the black of an old audio cassette box. 'Member those?)

I tapped into the wiring at the original lights (black wire and gray/green wire) and left the original light intact and operational. The two new leads just threaded through the dash to the new light.

Here it is, complete and operational. I don't know if this will cure my occasional absentmindedness with the hand brake but it can't hurt.

Works for me...
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean install and nice write up! I knew those old cassette tape cases had to be good for something still...
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny coincidence that you'd post this today. I've never even noticed that silly light until today ('bout time, I've owned the van for 7 years). It does sit directly behind the steering wheel and I was sort of looking at the dash today (I was out having my lunch in the ol' Westy as I often do) and noticed that light and that it doesn't even work. So, I might have to get around to both fixing it and relocating it one of these days. Nice job.
'96 BMW R1100GS
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wheels of a Basf cassette are good for the skylight Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: