Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Super Beetle Convertible - rear seat belts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugh59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: 1974 Super Beetle Convertible - rear seat belts Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of my dad's 1974 Super Beetle Convertible in Ravenna Green. I sent it to get restored and to make a long story short, I did not get all of the parts back.

The seat belts for the car were all wrong. I am fixing that problem now. I have a special problem with the rear seat belts - they were never re-installed. So I am not certain where all of the anchor points are.

Here is a photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The red-outlined arrows show the two anchor points I have found. The two blue-outlined arrows point to two bolts underneath the rear seat. I wonder if those are the two other anchor points. I am not certain. When I tried to loosen the first, it felt as if there was something significant on the other side of that bolt.

I would love advice on what to do. I want to put in rear seat belts. After that, I can try and get the exterior mirrors fixed.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inners are correct. The outers are actually the seatback pivots. You can see one in this pic.

hugh59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I suspected as much. I did not follow that suspicion too far. I loosened one side and tried to fit the belt end on; it will fit over the threaded section but not over the smooth, roller section.

Now I just have to get my front belts back. The fool who installed them did it wrong. Plus he used a power wrench to bolt two clamps to the mechanism. I had a friend take it to a shop to try and free them.

Here is a picture of the bug on a really good day: my wedding day! Here I am with my lovely wife.

Notice how the cover for the roof has the wrong snaps. Argh!!!!
frydaddy96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people should just be banned from working on classics. I'm going through the same thing with 2 bugs(sedan & vert) numerous bolts that cross threaded, but they kept trying to tighten them up any way plus wrong fasteners all over the car. Looks like they just grabbed what would fit the hole size.
hugh59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy thoroughly screwed up my exterior mirrors. I will have to have them rethreaded. I tried to buy new ones, but they sent me Ghia mirrors instead of convertible mirrors; and the darn things broke immediately.

I love how the plastic trim panels inside my bug LACK the ash trays. Grrrrrr.
lytnbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle Convertible - rear seat belts Reply with quote

hugh59 wrote:
I am the proud owner of my dad's 1974 Super Beetle Convertible in Ravenna Green. I sent it to get restored and to make a long story short, I did not get all of the parts back.

The seat belts for the car were all wrong. I am fixing that problem now. I have a special problem with the rear seat belts - they were never re-installed. So I am not certain where all of the anchor points are.

Here is a photo:

The red-outlined arrows show the two anchor points I have found. The two blue-outlined arrows point to two bolts underneath the rear seat. I wonder if those are the two other anchor points. I am not certain. When I tried to loosen the first, it felt as if there was something significant on the other side of that bolt.

I would love advice on what to do. I want to put in rear seat belts. After that, I can try and get the exterior mirrors fixed.
Glad you shared this. I had the exact same problem. Plus I also had the shoulder vs. hole size problem. Wild. Dremmel and grinder wheel here we come. But I sure hated to take those bolts out, after all the fighting and wrestling the first time I put that seat in. Like it should be now though. Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frydaddy96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red outline arrows are for the belt clips. The belt itself is anchored at the hinge bolt for the seat back. The retract mechanism usually mounts to the side in front of the heat outlet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202587&highlight=vert+seatbelt

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572117&highlight=seat+belt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: