Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust2Rods 1964 Hoodride Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been adding more and more parts to the beetle. I found a set of bumpers that I cobbled together out of some other ones, I also picked up a front link pin beam and a transaxle. They both came out of a 68 beetle so I will have a better street gear. That in combination with a slightly larger tire (go from a 185/60R15 to a 205/65R15) will make a big difference as well as going from a 4.12:1 to a 3.88:1. Also looking to add in a .82 4th gear to make it a real freeway flier. I might even put a super diff in it since I plan to go to a larger engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Showin the bug some love... Reply with quote

Was driving the beetle and saw a high school cheerleader car wash. Figured it was the first time the car would ever be washed.... (they didn't do that good of a job anyways)

[/img]
Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered up some air ride parts from Fabshop 104 or Bubba Sanborn here on the Samba. Great stuff... great price. I was stoked to get it...

Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car has been running great and been reliable. Have not had any real issues with it other than it seems to have developed quite a bit of blow-by which is starting to concern me. I am already planning on replacing the motor with a bigger one so... we will see how long it lasts.

So I got a call from a friend of mine who's making a traction bar setup and he wanted to use my car as a prototype to test fit it for an earlier vw vs late IRS.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job rusty, the car looking better and better with each post!
Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 63Ragtop NZ. The work was done earlier on the car. I decided to start a journal on it and try to get it caught up. Wink
Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been traveling for work, so not much time to work on the bug. Work has pretty much stopped on the other 67 project. I am waiting for my cousin to find out if he's getting a new house or not.

After traveling I decided to take the car to a couple car shows. The first one was intentional. The 2nd one was by accident. We were driving past and saw a gathering of imports. I pulled up and they told me I should join in the car show. It was a late evening show that started around 9pm and went on to 11pm. I paid my entry fee and had quite a large group of people interested in the car. Oh and you can also see that I've added some stuff to the roof rack.

It was fun talking to some of the young tuner enthusiasts. The VW just baffled them. They wondered how I made the car camber, how the motor worked... some of the questions were kind of funny to me, but I understand. You don't learn unless you ask. It was fun to talk to some of them and have one of the oldest imports at that show...

First car show of the evening... Georgie Porgie's. It's a local burger/fry joint that puts this show on. It's a pretty fun group here. Little to no VW's.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: